Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Both Herd and Lichaj have tremendous potential for the future but they also have planty of nightmares in them as well - which is part of the development process. If one or both of them is injured and/or loses form or confidence we are in trouble. Yes we have Beye but for some reason 4 consecutive Villa managers have not fancied him - which says a great deal.

And yes we have Cuellar, who is injured and has had no pre-season and who, when last he had a run of games at RB was roundly and regularly pilloried as average at best and hopeless at worst!

So perhaps we have depth in this position but now with Hutton we have strength and depth. +1 for an otherwise fragile squad.

Both Herd and Lichaj have tremendous potential for the future but they also have planty of nightmares in them as well - which is part of the development process. If one or both of them is injured and/or loses form or confidence we are in trouble. Yes we have Beye but for some reason 4 consecutive Villa managers have not fancied him - which says a great deal.

And yes we have Cuellar, who is injured and has had no pre-season and who, when last he had a run of games at RB was roundly and regularly pilloried as average at best and hopeless at worst!

So perhaps we have depth in this position but now with Hutton we have strength and depth. +1 for an otherwise fragile squad.

100% agree.

Also, bearing in mind that Cuellar may return to Rangers in January, makes sense to buy Hutton now so he's fully integrated into the team by then.

lichaj who is out for 4 months and we were trying to palm off on someone

wasn’t it more like someone wanted to take him on loan; we have this moan that none of the players are getting experience, and then we have this moan when we do loan them out. I am a bit baffled

I'm a bit baffled by the people saying we have depth at Right back!

Why? I've got no qualms about playing Chris Herd there in Hutton's absence, and Cuellar is also perfectly capable if McLeish wants to use him that way. Lichaj is fine too.

Compared to the days when Martin O'Neill's choice was between Mellberg and Reo-Coker, the right-back position is certainly not one I'm worried about this season.

Chris Herd is a midfielder. Yes he did a decent job in one game at right back, but the fact he had to play there is a clear indication of our LACk of depth.

Lichaj is ok there, but he's injured for 4 months.

Cuellar is ok there, but he's a CB.

The only recognised RB we have is Beye, and it's pretty clear he'll play as small a part as possible and I imagine he'll be offloaded as soon as possible.

We have COVER for right back, but as far as having quality there, or recognised right backs playing there, we've essentially just sold our only one.

Yes we could have survived without signing Hutton, by using stand ins to cover.

But actual depth in that position, I'd say we have very little.

Hutton is very mediocre, let's not big him up just because he has signed for us.

Like a very good friend of mine said, who is a Spurs fan of course, he is back but he plays something in the middle of a winger and a defender - without actually positioning himself right once during a game.

lichaj who is out for 4 months and we were trying to palm off on someone

wasn’t it more like someone wanted to take him on loan; we have this moan that none of the players are getting experience, and then we have this moan when we do loan them out. I am a bit baffled

who was moaning that we were loaning him out?

who was moaning the players are not getting experience?

why not just actually take a post for what it actually says?

when you look for something that isnt there then im sure it is baffling.

It was his cross last season that lead to VDV scoring at VP against us.

I'm going to wait until I've seen him play for Villa for a few games before I pass judgement. Luke Young wanted to leave to go back to London for family

reasons apparently plus he's 32 and only had 1 year left on his contract, so sounds like this decision was partly made for McLeish in anycase.

I'm not sure if fans are moaning about Hutton, who we should have bought? He's solid like Young, younger and probably crosses the ball and bombs forward better that him on the evidence of his Spurs days.

I think Hutton epitimises what we are trying to do.

We have a decent full back on very good wages, but coming towards the end of his career.

So we move him on and get a decent full back on good wages with twice as long left than the previous.

L. Young = Hutton as a player but

L. Young > Hutton wages

L. Young > Hutton age.

So you get the same product for less and prob longer. (If not longer get some money for him)

i bet if hutton and nzog were not our only 2 outfield proper signings having shipped out 20 odd players people would not be so crytical of hutton.

i cant recall him being awsome but also cant recall him being shite either

i think he is a little unlucky as the expectation for a lot of people was that if we are only signing 3 or 4 players having hugely reduced the playing staff, they would all be top players from overloaded clubs like man city or top players for smaller clubs such as nzog which im sure was something else spouted by the board that the manager would be backed and there is always money for whoever the manager wants we just needed to reduce the wages, which having got 20 players off the wage bill in the last 6 or 8 months and only brought 4 in, i guess is a reasonable assumption.

i think we wont run into this sort of optimism again come the next lot of transfer windows although some still think once we get rid of the rest of the high rollers such as heskey, beye and co, we will start spending again. i cant see that happening any time in the next 2 years

From Teamtalk....and OS interview

Fulham also made a bid for the full-back, but Hutton admits linking up again with former Rangers and Scotland chief Alex McLeish played a major role in his decision to move to Villa.

"It's a great football club with great fans and I'm really looking forward to working with Alex McLeish again," Hutton told the club's official website.

"He's such a commanding figure and he's had a great influence on my career at Rangers and in the Scotland team in the past.

"I'm really looking forward to working with him again.

"I want to help the club progress and for us to be the best team we can be.

Nice to hear players that know him have some regard and respect for our current manager, even if many of the fans don't or choose not to.

I think he'll do well for us but I'm a bit disappointed that it means both Herd and Lichaj are pushed back again. I really think they both look good, especially Lichaj who looks the better player from what little I've seen. Still, they're obviously not quite there yet so McLeish decided to opt for more experience to be on the safe side.

I think he'll do well for us but I'm a bit disappointed that it means both Herd and Lichaj are pushed back again. I really think they both look good, especially Lichaj who looks the better player from what little I've seen. Still, they're obviously not quite there yet so McLeish decided to opt for more experience to be on the safe side.

Lichaj is out for 4 months. Although Herd played well on Saturday I'm not sure if we should rely on him as our number 1 RB.

Happy with Hutton, good player who loves to get forward.. Seems to enjoy Big Eck as well, which should help.

Â