The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

In 10 years time some will be telling us he brought democracy to northern africa, in the same way that others tell us bush sr brought democracy to eastern europe, by standing by and doing nothing, and being in the right place, or thereabouts at the right time.

Libya: Twitter reports of 500-800 dead protesters, military units starting to switch sides in Benghazi and Algerian military planes landing in Tripoli..

AlJazeera is reporting parts of the army siding with the protestors, with the main aggression coming from mercenaries and a brigade called Al-Sybil. Muslim leaders calling on the army not to attack people.

What are the Algerian planes thought to be for? Bringing people in, or taking them out?

Foreign forces are already allegedly involved, those death squads using heavy machine guns on protesters are said to be mercenaries from Chad.

That was just horrid to hear on the news that foriegn mercenaries were being brought in kill protestors in Libya. Paid to slaughter, just to keep the powerful and corrupt in situ and the enraged masses at bay.

"Man's inhumanity to Man"... shameful.

I'll be surprised if Nigeria doesn't explode sometime soon. It's an absolute powder cake over there as well.

That was just horrid to hear on the news that foriegn mercenaries were being brought in kill protestors in Libya. Paid to slaughter, just to keep the powerful and corrupt in situ and the enraged masses at bay.

Not to mention our part in it.

British government approved sale of crowd control equipment to Libya

Foreign Office figures show export licences were valued at more than £200m over the first nine months of last year

The British government has approved the sale to Libya of a wide range of equipment for use against civilians, including teargas and "crowd control ammunition", official reports show.

Export licences increased significantly and were valued at more than £200m over the first nine months of last year, according to the latest figures compiled by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills for the Foreign Office.

The FCO said on Sunday night it had since revoked eight licences for riot control equipment. However, equipment listed as cleared for export to Libya last year include "teargas/irritant ammunition" and "training teargas/irritant ammunition", "military cameras" and components for "surveillance equipment and targeting equipment".

Other items cleared for supply to Libya were "accessories" for military small arms training, and technology for "military communications equipment", small arms ammunition, weapon sights, sniper rifles, "command and control vehicles", radio jamming equipment and what is described as "civil explosive detection/identification equipment". Also listed as cleared for export to Libya is "command communications control and intelligence equipment".

Official UK guidelines say the government will "not issue an export licence if there is a clear risk that the proposed export might be used for internal repression". Whitehall officials say decisions are taken on a "case by case" basis.

The FCO's latest annual human rights report says Britain has negotiated with Libya a memorandum of understanding over deporting individuals and has set up training programmes for Libyan police forces "to use modern evidence-gathering techniques, which meet proper judicial standards".

I'll be surprised if Nigeria doesn't explode sometime soon

I dread to think what might transpire if and once that happens. Far more sectarian than the culturally homogenous states of the Arab world imo and that could lead to power struggles and hence violence on a larger scale than what we've seen so far.

Worth noting that Nigeria has a much larger population than any Arab country as well, hence even more potential for shit to happen on a large scale.

Bloodbath that shames Britain: As 300 are massacred for defying Gaddafi, America and UN condemn UK for cosying up to tyrant in Blair's dirty deal

Excuse me if I piss myself wth cynical laughter at the sheer hypocrisy of these retards.

Who supplied the tanks that were gunning down protesters in Bahrain, the Humvees running people over in Tunisia and has armed those flowers waving pussies in the House of Saud to the teeth? What's that, Uncle Sam? UK arms sales to the region are as nothing in comparison.

How about the UN? Yep, they do a great job of ordering their forces to stand aside while some drugged up, hate fuelled savages commit genocide.

I wish the Libyan people all the best, but the US can take this "look, over there!" strategy and ram it up their corn fed hoops.

Blair made a bad call - colour me shocked - but drawing a straight line from that to what is happening now is not a particularly incisive analysis, unless 'incisive' means 'child-like simplicty' or 'laughably stupid' in US English.

/rant.

WTF is Cameron doing in Egypt? - opportunist clearing in the woods. It's **** all to do with him or this country, just another opportunity for him to try and build some self importance.

Foreign forces are already allegedly involved, those death squads using heavy machine guns on protesters are said to be mercenaries from Chad.

"Man's inhumanity to Man"... shameful.

I'll be surprised if Nigeria doesn't explode sometime soon. It's an absolute powder cake over there as well.

It's the same in Bahrain, mostly foreigners in the police / army. I think a large part of those forces are normally made up of foreigners, but they are deployed against protesters as they are less likely to switch sides.

So he has taken reps from 6 British arms companies with him :shock:

Well, yes.

...At the weekend, the UK arms industry descended on Abu Dhabi for Idex, the region's most important weapons fair. A tenth of all the global exhibitors are from Britain. Gerald Howarth, the minister leading the delegation, declared that "we have ambitious plans".

The most unequivocal message since the election was made by Peter Luff, the defence equipment minister, who told a defence show in June: "There will be a very, very, very heavy ministerial commitment to arms sales. There is a sense that in the past we were rather embarrassed about exporting defence products. There is no such embarrassment in this government."...

So he has taken reps from 6 British arms companies with him :shock:

So what's the problem? They're going to be a democracy anyway - touch wood - so would you rather they bought their weapons from other countries or keep British workers employed? Do you think UK suspended arms sales under Labour or is this just a poor attempt at political points scoring?

On another note Gaddafi seems to have turned (French made :winkold:) fixed wing fighter bombers on protesters in Tripoli.

Despite the "we shouldn't get involved" comments I reckon we should now be flying a combat air patrol over the city and engaging Libyan military aircraft. It's not on for Europe to allow this kind of shit to happen on its own doorstep. Gaddafi is toast now and he's trying to kill as many as possible before he gets what's coming to him. Time to pick a side.

Airstrikes against civilians confirmed by two pilots who flew jets to Malta rather than bomb their own people. Also reports they are bombing the highways to prevent people reaching Tripoli and joining the revolt.

It's genocide and if the Egyptian generals want to do something useful they should invade ASAP to stop this now. Can't believe it's happening.

Â