Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

I think he's a good player and delighted he's here however my point is if it was say 0-0, there's no way Makoun would have had that time and space on the ball, he would have been pressed further up the pitch. I'm just glad the game is over and now we can concentrate on games we can win.

Look... goal up or goal down.. I think we can all say that we have a serious problem holdin onto the ball.

Last night regardless of the scoreline was the first time I admired our passing play.

We're not perfect yet, but at least we can now get a sense of what GH is doing. I believe hoofers will not be tolerated.

I think we all know this is the only way to build a succesful team. You have to be able to hold onto the ball, you can't simply keep letting the other team come at you.

Our midfield looked confident last night, it still looked lightweight and not creative enough. But confident.

Makoun is the first piece of the jigsaw.

I'm in full agreement with you there hopeful.villan. I just think there is also merit to what Maradona was saying. That because the opposition had something to hold on to and didn't need to go after a goal, Makoun will have gotten a little more time on the ball than he would have been afforded at 0-0. I'm certainly not trying to use that as a stick to beat him with because I'm delighted by his passing stats. He definitely appears to be a class above what we have here at the moment and I can't wait for him to settle in properly. The fact he was capable of doing what he did in only his 2nd game for the club and against that quality of opposition in that arena (not to mention while surrounded by that level of team-mate w.r.t. passing ability) can only mean big things for him in the future :clap:

I think he's a good player and delighted he's here however my point is if it was say 0-0, there's no way Makoun would have had that time and space on the ball, he would have been pressed further up the pitch. I'm just glad the game is over and now we can concentrate on games we can win.

Yeah but 90 odd passes is still quite a large amount, I see what ur sayin, if the game had been different then he wouldn't have gotten so many. My question is, if we had NRC and Petrov playin centre of midfield last night and the same circumstances occurred, would either have hit as many passes? Doubt it.

The point is, the boy is a proper footballer. I think Fabregas averages 50 passes a game or something like that over a season, so obviously you have nights like last night where Makoun will get 90 passes and others where he will struggle. The class was there to be seen though.

If they mark and add pressure to Makoun over the weekend we are totally going back to hoofball, no doubt about it.

I made a similar point last night.

However, im confident that Makoun will be able to cope due to his ability to lay off first time passes. He showed last night that he doesnt need any time on the ball in order to craft a quality pass.

Our only problem will be finding players who will be able to react quickly enough to his passing.

If they mark and add pressure to Makoun over the weekend we are totally going back to hoofball, no doubt about it.

No doubt about it?

Whenever Makoun was pressured last night he did very well. He also slipped pressure by getting himself in good positions.

In any case I think Fulham will sit back on Saturday like a lot of visiting sides do.

Enter the Terminator that is Michael Bradley.... :D

True, don't get me wrong Makoun is a fantastic player even under pressure he did well but not every game will be like that which is what i meant.

He also slipped pressure by getting himself in good positions.

Agree - I've always considered this to be the hallmark of a top side. It's no coincidence that Man United players always receive the ball in plenty of space. They want the ball, and they always put themselves in the best position to receive it.

Makoun showed all of these instincts last night.

He also slipped pressure by getting himself in good positions.

Agree - I've always considered this to be the hallmark of a top side. It's no coincidence that Man United players always receive the ball in plenty of space. They want the ball, and they always put themselves in the best position to receive it.

Makoun showed all of these instincts last night.

This. Makoun is a class above what we're used to recently, and long may it continue.

To those concerned about his physical stature - I would argue that his superior brain power is more than enough to compensate.

He was truly everywhere, its a pity NRC didnt start next to him (and Collins only started playing after 20 mins), and I think it would have been a closer game last night.

Its early days, but on last night's performance, he looks a top 4 player. Which kind of shits all over the whole idea of the Prem being miles better than anywhere else.

just got back from manchester. dont remember getting back to our digs lastnight but i do remember how well jean played. 10 out of 10 lastnight for his peformance. there were fans on here the other day saying he would get mugged at old trafford ha. Looks like he will be a quality signing. On a separate note my friends dad works down the villa with the 1st team and he spoke to milner after the game the other week. He said "he'd walk back to villa tomorrow if he could". O well should never of left us UTV

Â