Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

It will be the mother of all comebacks - if Makoun holds down a regular place for us next season. Whether you rate him or don't rate him - not many players start their club career so indifferently - get loaned out - then come back and make an impact.

Hes highly unlikely to be a regular for us next season IMO

It will be interesting, if lambert goes for a 4-2-3-1 formation, Makoun may be one of those 2s along with El Ahmadi.

(Makoun being a no2 I've opened it up for a joke there :wow: )

Matt Kendrick says

FORGOTTEN man Jean Makoun must wait until a slight complication with his work permit is resolved before he can attempt to kickstart his Villa career.

Makoun has been unable to take part in Paul Lambert’s pre-season training regime so far because he is still awaiting international clearance.

It is not known when the Cameroon midfielder’s paperwork will finally go through, but he is unlikely to join the club’s tour to America next week.

The delay is not thought to be serious and has only arisen because extra documentation is required following his year with Olympiakos in Greece.

Makoun still has two years left to run on his Villa contract and Lambert is keen to sit down with the £5 million player to discuss his future.

Olympiakos were initially interested in making his loan move permanent, but Greek sources suggest they would be unable to afford his probable transfer fee.

Makoun has struggled to settle at Villa and has experienced a frustrating time since former boss Gerard Houllier signed him from Lyon 18 months ago.

His bright start in claret and blue was undermined by a sending off at Blackpool and since then his first team opportunities have been limited.

Makoun missed the end of the 2010-11 campaign and returned to Cameroon compassionate leave after relatives were hurt in a road accident back home.

Last summer, after Alex McLeish deemed him surplus to requirements, he was sent for a season-long loan at Olympiakos, helping them to the Greek title

wow. A logical reason. Not blaming the man himself.

Good luck Jean. He will be a regular by seasons end. Great reporting from Mat Kendrick.. everyone was wondering where he was and he went and found out.

Matt Kendrick says

FORGOTTEN man Jean Makoun must wait until a slight complication with his work permit is resolved before he can attempt to kickstart his Villa career.

Makoun has been unable to take part in Paul Lambert’s pre-season training regime so far because he is still awaiting international clearance.

It is not known when the Cameroon midfielder’s paperwork will finally go through, but he is unlikely to join the club’s tour to America next week.

The delay is not thought to be serious and has only arisen because extra documentation is required following his year with Olympiakos in Greece.

Makoun still has two years left to run on his Villa contract and Lambert is keen to sit down with the £5 million player to discuss his future.

Olympiakos were initially interested in making his loan move permanent, but Greek sources suggest they would be unable to afford his probable transfer fee.

Makoun has struggled to settle at Villa and has experienced a frustrating time since former boss Gerard Houllier signed him from Lyon 18 months ago.

His bright start in claret and blue was undermined by a sending off at Blackpool and since then his first team opportunities have been limited.

Makoun missed the end of the 2010-11 campaign and returned to Cameroon compassionate leave after relatives were hurt in a road accident back home.

Last summer, after Alex McLeish deemed him surplus to requirements, he was sent for a season-long loan at Olympiakos, helping them to the Greek title

Kendrick is usually one of the more reliable sources - but I don't buy this.

You don't need international clearance to train with your club ? surley ? - I seem to recall in the past players training with us - but couldn't play until they received a work permit.

I don't beleive he needs a work permitt - to meet up and train with his colleagues ?

Matt Kendrick says

Kendrick is usually one of the more reliable sources - but I don't buy this.

You don't need international clearance to train with your club ? surley ? - I seem to recall in the past players training with us - but couldn't play until they received a work permit.

I don't beleive he needs a work permitt - to meet up and train with his colleagues ?

So you don't think he needs a work permit to work?

Tis kinda the point of them really....if his has expired then he can't train, training is work.

Traing is working so if his work permit is being held up its logical he can't train.

But does the lack of a work permitt prevent him from entering the uk ?

I am pretty sure that in the past - players have signed for us - trained with us - but can not play until they have received international clearance.

Of course the legislation is changing all the time - but a player on a 4 year contact with a club - not being allowed to enter the country - because of international clearance - isn't something I have known before.

Oh dear. I smell cock-up. It can hardly have come as a surprise to the club that he was coming back this summer so why no paperwork sorted?

Here are two possible explanations:

(a) his paperwork was being handled by the same people who are recruiting (or not) security staff for the Olympics

(B) Villa weren't expecting him to come back. There is a hint in Mat's article that Olympiakos wanted to keep him but then got cold feet over the transfer fee.

Well we probably werent expecting him back Briny. With McLeish running the red line through his name.

However PL has a bit of sense to give the guy a proper go. Lets see what happens. We already signed him.. whats the worse that could happen.. if hes shit.. we sell him in January. If hes great.. well.. great!

If he's shit we'll sell him in January? Really? Generally if players are shit (and in our case on high wages) teams really struggle to offload players. Most of our OUTS over the last few years have been quality players who other teams want (Milner, Young, Downing) or players who's contracts have run out (NRC, Beye, Heskey, Cuellar, Sidwell etc). If Makoun is playing shit I really don't see how we could offload him as we're likely to be paying him much more than other clubs would offer.

If we have the opportunity to flog him now, and potentially use him as a makeweight for Brahimi and Doumbia from Rennes I say do it.

I am sure Omar Cummings trained with us but could not get a work permit so we sent him back, plus if he has already signed a contract when he signed for 5 years and it was approved then so what has changed ? I thought he had a French passport as well or I might be wrong

I still can't get my head around quite why the J2M thread is as long as it is :lol: In terms of minutes played (that are greater than zero) versus thread length, I'd say only Salifou ever rivalled this one :)

Wow! £40k a week isn't high wages? :confused:

My thoughts to. £4ok is a big wage - and rumours are this is the cap at villa for all but the most exceptional players.

I don't actually think Makoun is on £40k per week

Â