Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

He's basically in the same boat as KEA, except he's had more experience at a much higher level. He's only a couple if years older than him too, and made what a measly 8 more appearances? Surely he deserves a chance too? Some people just don't want him to succeed it seems.

Also, hats off to CI. Dude knows how to troll with the best of em.

Lambert said last week that Makoun is off attending to personal issues and will return soon. I see no difference in him returning now or on Monday when Dunne and Given return which I assume is when Makoun will be back. It's clear he's not in Lambert's plans to be sold so provided he's here for the pre-season tour of the US to get the bulk of his match fitness down he's fine dealing with life issues for a bit longer.

A contest that was over inside 2 mins

A depressingly one sided affair that Utd strolled to a 3-1 win in

Which bit did Makoun do well in and how did he influence the game in anyway whatsoever?

85 complete passes out of 94 attempted. A 90% completion rate.

Twice as many passes as Petrov who was in midfield beside him.

Nothing much really.

makoun_passing_map_vs_manutd.jpg

Nothing whatsoever.

Erm mostly square meaningless balls

Nothing influential at all

Just look at Spain.. You get enough players making square meaningless passes and you win games because the most important rule of football is that the other team cannot score without the ball. It only takes one of two passes out of 800 to slot through perfectly to Bent or Weimann and we score. Yes some people are not fans of the way Spain do things but it works and so far we have Makoun, El Ahmadi, Gardner, Ireland, Holman, N'Zogbia, Carruthers and Bannan that can pass and play that kind of football. We could do some damage this season if we had a few more possession players like Makoun on the pitch.

um, i know i shouldn't rise to it, but, WTF?!?

possession is 9 tenths of the law, if you have the ball they can't score etc. etc.

That graph is bloody meaningless in the context of the game in question

The game was over as a contest inside 120 seconds

Oh shut up.

So we should have just walked off?

At least he tried to do something.

And the facts were that he completed 85/94 passes for a 90% completion rate. Fact

Against Man Utd in a league he still wasn't used to.. Imagine what he'd be like now had Houllier stuck with him for a few more games.

um, i know i shouldn't rise to it, but, WTF?!?

possession is 9 tenths of the law, if you have the ball they can't score etc. etc.

Except in this case they did. Three times, with exceptional ease.

Since this thread is just totally going round in circles now, I may as well repost something I said about 20 pages ago about possession football.

possession, it is not on its own a very reliable guide to effectiveness or quality of football. Last season, Wigan had eighth highest possession but were poor for most of the season and finished 15th in the real league table. Newcastle, who were one place lower than Wigan on possession, finished 5th. In one notable game last season, Swansea at home to Newcastle had 77% possession but lost 0-2.

What is more important is scoring goals and, even more crucially, winning games.

Mentioning Spain (or often Barcelona comes up too) is a bit of a red herring since both those teams contain some of the world's best footballers. That's probably more what helps them win games!

Look at Sergio Busquets for example. He's the best DM in the world (imo at least), yet he's not particularly good or strong in the tackle. What he does so well is read the game and use his one touch passing to move the ball into space/to a teammate, most importantly keeping the ball away from the opposition. Most of his passes are the dreaded '2 yard square ball', and he doesn't have much influence on a game offensively.

Now, I'm not saying Makoun is as good as Busquets nor am I comparing them directly. However, Makoun does share some of his qualities, the most obvious being his ability to pick his passes before the ball even gets to him, allowing him to get out of tight situations and most importantly help his team keep the ball. For the way a lot of us want to see Villa play, a player like Makoun can turn out to be a real asset and I hope he gets the chance to show that he can be; that is, if he wants to.

At 29 and still struggling to adapt

Do you know him personally?

How could you possibly know that he is struggling to adapt?

Do i need to be his close friend to see him struggling in the few games he played?

Do i need to chat to him on the phone to know that after mcleish gave him a chance he was **** awful against hereford?

And i doubt sitting on the bench in greece is going to help him adapt to the premier league.

TBH i have complete faith in lambert and i'll be stunned if makoun is a anything more than a squad player this season.

It was the use of the word 'still' which got me, yes he struggled to fit in with the pace of the PL when we were stuck in a relegation battle when he first joined (an incorrect decision given against him which contributed directly to an Everton goal hardly helped), and yes he struggled to fit in with the mind-numbing dullness of a hoofy hoofy hoof hoof Mcleish style side, but what is there to suggest that he is struggling at this moment of time, when he has not even joined back up with the squad yet?

Anyway, this thread is largely pointless until he plays for us again (if he does) because Rory Delap has a really long throw/there are people in the 'I love Makoun' camp and people in the 'I hate Makoun' camp and neither want to budge.

Â