Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

Well, Ian Taylor sums up my feelings and you'd like to think he'd know a bit about judging footballers. No harm in giving him another chance, I think he will give us an option in midfield we don't currently have.

The camfoot piece is a straight translation of an article by our very own Mat Kendrick, from the Birmingham Mail of 21 June, which was referred to earlier in this thread but not quoted.

I have pasted it in below as a service to readers who may have frowned a little at some of the slightly awkward phrasing of the translation back from the French.

Jean Makoun offered fresh start at Aston Villa by Paul Lambert

by Mat Kendrick, Birmingham Post Jun 21 2012

Jean Makoun will be given a fresh opportunity to kick-start his Aston Villa career when the unsettled midfielder returns from his year-long sabbatical next month.

Makoun will return from his 12-month loan spell at Olympiakos with a Greek championship winners medal when he reports back to training at Bodymoor Heath on July 5.

Paul Lambert is prepared to offer a new start the Cameroon international who was passed over by Alex McLeish last summer in favour of ill-fated loanee Jermaine Jenas.

Makoun gave glimpses of his ability after Gerard Houllier signed him from Lyon in January 2011, but he cut an isolated figure following the French manager’s departure.

Without Houllier, fitness coach Robert Duverne and team-mate Robert Pires, French-speaking Makoun found it hard to integrate, although he did start a course of English lessons.

His encouraging start was undermined by a red card at Blackpool in 2011-12 while last season his only contribution was a less-than-spectacular Carling Cup display against Hereford.

However, the 29-year-old ball-player still has two years remaining on his current contract and Villa are prepared to see whether he can flourish under the management of Lambert.

Former Villa midfielder favourite Ian Taylor saw plenty of potential in Makoun’s eight league and cup games for the club and welcomes the decision to give him a fresh chance.

“Sometimes it can be difficult for players to settle and that seems to be the case with Jean,” said Taylor.

“Villa need to make sure he is happy off the pitch as well as on it if we are to see what he is capable of in a Villa shirt.

“I watched him a few times the season before last and you can see what his qualities are. His calmness on the ball and his passing and I think he could be effective alongside the type of dominant midfielder I have talked about Villa needing.

“He’s played in the Champions League so he can’t have become a bad player overnight.

“It will be interesting to see what Paul Lambert makes of him and whether he can find a system to get the best out of him.”

Whether or not Makoun figures prominently in Lambert’s plans, Taylor still believes the claret and blues require a midfield general to dominate matches in the centre of the park.

“It’s definitely an area where we need to strengthen because we really could do with someone in there who can influence games,” added Taylor.

“I think we missed Stiliyan Petrov in there at the end of the season because he is an experienced guy who has the stature to play in there.

“We really haven’t had anyone with the presence in there to make the team tick.

“It will be hard to get a central midfielder who is experienced enough, good enough and available for the price that Villa will be willing to pay – there aren’t that many of them about.

“But we’ve got to hope that the new manager, with the popularity he’s got and the positivity he has brought to the club, will be able to attract the right kind of player.”

Ian Taylor was speaking to promote his new iT7 range of premium Bluetooth® headphones and music products, in association with Cannock-based Bluechipworld.

I note that Camfoot didn't translate the last bit, about Tayls's prime concern being to sell his headphones. :P

Was also titillated by the suggestion that

Villa need to make sure he is happy off the pitch as well as on it
Will look forward to seeing the programme of activities put in place to ensure his happiness off the pitch. Wonder if all the other players will demand similar support with their off-pitch happiness? 8)

PS, this "fresh start" got off in slightly wobbly fashion when he didn't show for training on 5 July. Anyone know if he has turned up yet?

Will look forward to seeing the programme of activities put in place to ensure his happiness off the pitch. Wonder if all the other players will demand similar support with their off-pitch happiness?

am pretty sure every club has a liaison officer to help players off the pitch issues and make them feel at home. he wont be getting special treatment though i think you want to have a dig at him.........again ;)

i think you want to have a dig at him.........again ;)
Not really, it was just a light-hearted remark on a slow news day (where ARE all these bloody signings?).

But you may be looking too hard to see hidden meanings... :detect::suspect:

not really but the fact is nearly every post you made in this thread is a dig at the guy
This is a total misunderstanding. If there are any "digs" in my posts, they are at the people on here who are bigging him up as some sort of footballing genius, when he did virtually nothing in his first spell at Villa to justify this.

Personally I have nothing against the guy and obviously hope he does better in his next spell at Villa, since we have to pay his wages for a couple more years.

not really but the fact is nearly every post you made in this thread is a dig at the guy
This is a total misunderstanding. If there are any "digs" in my posts, they are at the people on here who are bigging him up as some sort of footballing genius, when he did virtually nothing in his first spell at Villa to justify this.

Personally I have nothing against the guy and obviously hope he does better in his next spell at Villa, since we have to pay his wages for a couple more years.

At best, your line has been that he's "done nothing so far".

In seven games? I'd say he has shown great talent and potential to deliver exciting football.

But never mind B.E. you're not alone. In being totally **** wrong :)

A contest that was over inside 2 mins

A depressingly one sided affair that Utd strolled to a 3-1 win in

Which bit did Makoun do well in and how did he influence the game in anyway whatsoever?

Oh but he played well against Man Utd allegedly

it did happen, no allegedly about it

But the match wasn't much of a contest, was it?

Man U roused themselves and scored at will when they fancied it and let us have a go at playing football in between times. Quite a few players looked OK that day - A Young, Downing, Bent in particular - but it didn't alter the fact that we were outclassed and brushed aside with ease. Any talk of any Villa player "playing well" in that match needs that context.

I'll be stunned if this guy actually keeps anyone out the team. Squad player at best, makoun will probably get a run out in the carling cup games.

I have zero interst in seeing this man in a villa shirt again. At 29 and still struggling to adapt its time to move on and continue with our long term plan under PL.

Â