Skiing: Advise needed

GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS

I'm off skiing at the beginning of March with a few mates - likely destination being Soll in Austria. Wondering whether anybody has been here and got any reccomendations on where to stay?

Also, i'm a bit of a novice (had a few lessons but thats it) and need to buy some ski clobber - anyone got a good website where i can get the best prices on jackets, goggles etc?

Cheers fellow VTers

Get yer gear from TKMaxx if you've never been before, you'll get a jacket and trousers for 50-60 quid.

I've got a mate in Quinton who's got some brand new unused goggles for sale at a reasonable price, I personally wouldn't try and ride in sunglasses, the wind in your eyes will hurt if it gets particularly cold!

I've just booked to go to Flaine on 5th March, can't **** wait to get out there now!

I dunno whether this is your thing, but I went to this in 2008 & 2009. It was f'cking awesome.

Good advice re: TKMaxx. It's all of last season's stuff, but unless you're a fashion queen, it's not going to matter. You'll pick up some gear on the cheap which is better than paying the extortionate prices at places like Snow and Rock etc.

If you're going to wear goggles then it might be worth splashing out a bit as cheap ones steam up way to quickly.

I don't tend to wear them because I'm too hard 8)

A pair of sunglasses will be fine if you are just starting out, you wont be going quick enough to worry about the wind in your eyes (intentionally anyway). You will probably find suglasses give you a better range of vision than with goggles, plus March will probably be quite warm a lot of the time and you will find them a lot more comfortable.

Goggles are best if there is a bad weather or you are venturing off piest.

In terms of where to stay its probably best to get a package deal as they work out far cheaper than trying to do it yourself (and far less hastle), then you wont have to worry about looking for accomodation. As long as your digs are close to the main town or to a lift I would not worry.

I would advise you to check out catered chalets, they will be more expensive but you will save loads on food and the hassle of planning where to eat and they are a good laugh.

TK maxx is good for clothes, just make sure they are waterproof to at least 5000mm (it will be on the label).

As long as your digs are close to the main town or to a lift I would not worry.

I would advise you to check out catered chalets, they will be more expensive but you will save loads on food and the hassle of planning where to eat and they are a good laugh.

Bang on about being close to a/the lift/s.

On one of the occasions I went, we were fooking miles away from the main lift. It was proper grim having to trudge up there everyday with all of our ski gear, and usually with a hangover (the bus service was piss poor and only once every hour or something ridiculous).

As for the chalet, you could even go self-catering. No doubt there'll be some sort of minimark/supermarket where you can buy a few pizzas or a big bag of pasta etc. All you need is a few things that you can knock up quickly. You'll save loads of money that way and have more to spend on booze.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Get your snowboard on

snowboarders :angry:

no etiquette and in most cases no control on the slopes either , present company excepted of course I know you can handle a snowboard better than those ruffians with baggy pants and long hair

Get your snowboard on

snowboarders :angry:

no etiquette and in most cases no control on the slopes either , present company excepted of course I know you can handle a snowboard better than those ruffians with baggy pants and long hair

And they mess up the snow for the skiers pushing it all down the slope.

Quick rule of thumb is that boarding is harder to pick up but once you do its easier to get better at, with skiing its vice versa.

You have to WANT to learn to pick up boarding, but its far more fullfilling in the end IMO; There is simply nothing better than finding an untouched slope after a powder dump!

Oh and its skiers who wreck pistes....feckin moguls!

Snowboarding is for the people who skateboard. Why would you want to be on a slow ass snowboard. Skiing is for real men, way faster and far quicker turning.

You also spend far less time on your ass

Â