Signed: Darren Bent £18m rising to £24m with add on's

dudevillaisnice

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MICK McCarthy believes Villa’s £18 million deal for Darren Bent could have a domino effect throughout the Premier League.

“It could change things,” he said. “It will throw something up, there’s no question.

“We will get to the 31st and then all start running around like blue-arsed flies because someone has become available that nobody thought would.

“Of course we’re continuing to look. We had Steve Sidwell here on the running machine – that deal was as good as done and that’s what we’re looking at.

“We’d still like something like that, but if we can’t do it, we can’t do it.

“We shouldn’t stop looking elsewhere to take a chance and get players in though.”

The Wolves boss has no gripes with Villa over their sensational dart into the transfer market for Bent.

“Good for them. I just wonder what Martin O’Neill is thinking!” he joked.

“It was said to me they were selling players, but good luck to them. There’s nothing we can do to affect it. I’m sure the French midfielder (Jean Makoun) will find out how difficult the Premier League is.

“Bent has been there, seen it, done it – but it doesn’t always work out that they move and it is seamless. He has been having a great time at Sunderland, it didn’t appear he had a great time when he first went to Tottenham.

“Aston Villa are having a few problems at the minute, but finished sixth three years on the bounce. They strike me as a real top club. Going out and spending that kind of money is what top clubs do and they expect to be up near the top not near the bottom.”

Birmingham Mail

Thing is we need someone who isn't that good a footballer. We need someone who puts the sodding ball int he back of the sodding net. And Darren bent fits the bill perfectly.

It's a huge amount of money. it's too much in all honesty. But it's a player we desperately need, and nearly every fan has been saying we need a player of that ilk for years and years. now we look to be getting one. If 20 odd million gets it tied up quickly without any other clubs coming in and stealing him from us, then go for it.

Nail and head spring to mind!!

MICK McCarthy believes Villa’s £18 million deal for Darren Bent could have a domino effect throughout the Premier League.

“It could change things,” he said. “It will throw something up, there’s no question.

“We will get to the 31st and then all start running around like blue-arsed flies because someone has become available that nobody thought would.

“Of course we’re continuing to look. We had Steve Sidwell here on the running machine – that deal was as good as done and that’s what we’re looking at.

“We’d still like something like that, but if we can’t do it, we can’t do it.

“We shouldn’t stop looking elsewhere to take a chance and get players in though.”

The Wolves boss has no gripes with Villa over their sensational dart into the transfer market for Bent.

“Good for them. I just wonder what Martin O’Neill is thinking!” he joked.

“It was said to me they were selling players, but good luck to them. There’s nothing we can do to affect it. I’m sure the French midfielder (Jean Makoun) will find out how difficult the Premier League is.

“Bent has been there, seen it, done it – but it doesn’t always work out that they move and it is seamless. He has been having a great time at Sunderland, it didn’t appear he had a great time when he first went to Tottenham.

“Aston Villa are having a few problems at the minute, but finished sixth three years on the bounce. They strike me as a real top club. Going out and spending that kind of money is what top clubs do and they expect to be up near the top not near the bottom.”

Birmingham Mail

Jean Makoun is not FRENCH.

Some folk should take note.

ESPN: Bent agrees personal terms with Villa

Darren Bent's £24 million move from Sunderland to Aston Villa has edged closer to completion after sources close to the transfer told ESPNsoccernet that the striker has agreed personal terms.

Bent, 26, found himself at the centre of the January transfer window's most surprising piece of news on Monday when it emerged that Aston Villa had succeeded with an initial offer of £18 million, rising to £24 million, for the England international.

Sunderland subsequently revealed that Bent had handed in a transfer request and manager Steve Bruce told ESPNsoccernet he was "disappointed" to be losing a player who has scored 32 goals in 58 Premier League appearances for the Black Cats.

It is now understood that Bent has agreed personal terms with Villa and could earn as much as double the £35,000-a-week salary he currently enjoys at the Stadium of Light. However, there are still some outstanding issues to be resolved before any transfer is announced.

A source told ESPNsoccernet: "By and large the deal is on track but there are some negotiations with Sunderland to conclude. The player has agreed his personal terms and by and large the figures mentioned are correct. There is still a lot of detail to be ironed out but the deal is closer to being completed."

If Bent does join Aston Villa then he will shatter the club's current transfer record, which is the £12 million paid for Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing in the summer of 2009.

Villa have already strengthened in January with the signing of Lyon midfielder Jean Makoun.

I shudder to think what he would have wasted it on.

Apparently Marcus Bent is available!!

Too young. MON would go for the increasingly inappropriately-named Junior Bent.

Thing is we need someone who isn't that good a footballer. We need someone who puts the sodding ball int he back of the sodding net. And Darren bent fits the bill perfectly.

It's a huge amount of money. it's too much in all honesty. But it's a player we desperately need, and nearly every fan has been saying we need a player of that ilk for years and years. now we look to be getting one. If 20 odd million gets it tied up quickly without any other clubs coming in and stealing him from us, then go for it.

The Rt Hon Sir This McThis

Nail and head spring to mind!!

good post, sums up my feelings

Hope Wolves stay up and Blackpool go into freefall