78 members have voted

1. 1. Best Movie Of 2010

• Four Lions
    • Shutter Island
    • Kick Ass
    • Inception
    • The Social Network
    • The Secret In Their Eyes

The very idea of The Social Network makes me angry. I don't know why anyone who is over 14 and has a penis would go to see it.

Why? Honest question, I haven't seen it. But I'd like to.

I had reservations about The Social Network before going to see it. Basically because it was 'A movie about Facebook, about rich Harvad teenagers sitting around being better than us'. But, it blew me away and left a better impression than any other movie did this year. I think the key is that it appears so effortless in it's execution. The script is brilliant, the acting is spot on, and the directing is controlled and like all great films you are engrossed in the film, rather than sitting and thinking about the director, trying to understand plot, or how something is done. It's one of those films that you go and see, leave and think 'that was good' but the more you think about it, the better it gets.

With Inception, after repeated viewings, I find it more a very entertaining film (despite it lagging a bit here and there) and despite it's flaws it's still better than most. However, Shutter Island was far more engaging emotionally despite having somewhat similar complexities within it's plot. I've said it before but it seems to be a pattern with Nolan films that they look amazing, they are brilliantly executed, but they are a bit...cold. That's not to say Inception doesn't have heart or it isn't engaging, but it works better as an action movie than the cerebral thriller it wanted to be. Ultimately it's flaw was it became a bit too convulted, and this left the characters being a bit distant and you never really cared about what happened to most of them.

I went with The Social Network. I went in with low expectations and it blew me away. The soundtrack and acting were very good i thought.

For the record its a tough choice though as the films in the list are all good and different. Four lions was really unique and i reckon i should watch shutter island again as i dont remember it being as good as some state (not saying it was bad but didnt leave a lasting impression on me). I havent seen the secret in their eyes though so will have to try and watch that next.

Films I'm not sure should be in that list - Shutter Island and Four Lions. I'm not quite sure how Shutter Island made it onto that list in all honesty, or how it has garnered so many votes. One of Scorsese's worst films in my opinion and certainly not in the top five films of the year. Good film but not brilliant. When it comes to Four Lions, I thought it was a good film but once again, just not top five material. Both of these films were watchable but in my opinion just don't deserve to be in the top five.

Most overhyped film of 2010 - Social Network. It was good but nowhere near as good as the press and reviewers made it out to be at times. It certainly won't go down as any form of classic.

Most overlooked film of 2010 - Scott Pilgrim Vs The World. One of the best comic/gaming films ever made in my opinion. Deserved to do far better at the box office than it did. It just works so well and although there are slight hiccups in the film, it feels like an enjoyable sugar-rush.

Best animation and arguably best film of 2010 - Toy Story 3. How did this not make the list over the likes of Shutter Island?! It is arguably the best animated film of all time, never mind one of the best films of 2010. It topped of one of the best trilogies ever made aswell. If you still haven't seen this then go out and buy it now. You won't regret it! Seriously though, why isn't this on the list?!

Best foreign film of 2010 - The Secret In Their Eyes. Fantastic film and arguably the film of the year. I was actually torn between this, Toy Story 3 and my final choice (plus possibly Scott Pilgrim, oh it was a tough choice) as the top film of the year. It is exceptionally made and the acting is great too.

Film of the year 2010 for me - Inception. Yes it was overhyped. Yes it was a lot more simple than many people thought. Yes it is mainly an action film full of great effects. Yes it can be described as plainly as being a 'popcorn flick'. However, it worked! Everything came together perfectly and love it or hate it, you can not fail to be blown away by some of the scenes in the film. Plus for the majority of the film the acting is top rate from the entire cast.

2010 in films summary - I thought it was a rather good year for films in all honesty. From little gems unmentioned such as Winter's Bone to the big blockbusters. We have seen some fantastic acting and some great special effects. We have seen valiant low budget efforts such as Monsters. Despite not being the biggest fan of it, I enjoyed it to a degree. We have seen everything from the poor to the fantastic and it has been an enjoyable ride once again. Many good films will go unmentioned in this thread, but they are out there. I just wish the price of going to the cinema was cheaper, as it would save me an absolute fortune...

2011 - I'm really looking forward to 2011 in film. There are some fantastic films on the horizon. Such as The King's Speech and Black Swan (both are fantastic) to start the year off with a bang. The rest of the year looks set to be a good one too and I am looking forward to it. Long live film!

Â