Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

He may keep us up however its an absolute disgrace that we're in this mess in the first place. I will not view keeping us in the prem as some sort of success or evidence we will do well under him, i sense some will.

I'm not saying staying up would be a success but given that our previous manager (who's systems were ingrained at the club), left us a few days before the first game of the season and there were no decent managers immediately available before the end or the transfer window (i.e our new manager was always going to have to work with what he inherited), what would be counted as acceptable this season?

I'd say 10th when he first came in, 12th in our current position.

12th would be OK, provided we saw big signs of progress. Houllier has to take some of the blame for where we are, although he's not been able to rely on team selection for reasons of form/fitness. There has been no consistencvy, which was one of our strengths (as well as one of our weaknesses) under MON.

If I think back to 2006/7, we started OK, slumped badly (flirted with relegation, but not as badly as now), but then finished quite well having freshened things up in the transfer window. Obviously because of the state of the club when MON came in, we were never as downbeat as we are now, but then MON had more time to sort things out at the beginning of the season. Fingers crossed January will be our turning point again.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will keep us up with a squad that was initially injury decimated low on confidence and very reluctant to change with some causing unrest and trouble. Also clearing out some of the dead wood and over paid average players and bring in some decent players like Makoun and Walker and implementing a scouting system that was an embarrassment, however some will see this as a complete failing and not see any positive just because we werent 6th again with apparently the exact circumstances.

Keep making excuses, the fact you're hinting that he's doing a good job while we are in the mix of a relegation battle is ridiculous.

Good managers can come in and install confidence.

Good managers can come in and change ideas without unrest.

Back him, we have no option now. Too late to get anyone else, and would only disrupt things further if he went. I'm afraid GH is with us for at least this season.

Having said that, I do feel he is working with a group of players he , (a) doesn't really seem to like and (B) don't suit his style of play whatsoever.

I think by the start of next season we will be looking at a very different Aston Villa squad, first team and style of play, and we'll all be looking at GH in a new light.

I think spurs have shown you have to play some decent football and have a few really creative players to break the top 4.

I think we could have persisted with MON for the next 5 years and he wouldn't have done it, Ged may not either but at least we can have a go at it in a different fashion.

Back him, we have no option now. Too late to get anyone else, and would only disrupt things further if he went. I'm afraid GH is with us for at least this season.

Having said that, I do feel he is working with a group of players he , (a) doesn't really seem to like and (B) don't suit his style of play whatsoever.

I think by the start of next season we will be looking at a very different Aston Villa squad, first team and style of play, and we'll all be looking at GH in a new light.

I think spurs have shown you have to play some decent football and have a few really creative players to break the top 4.

I think we could have persisted with MON for the next 5 years and he wouldn't have done it, Ged may not either but at least we can have a go at it in a different fashion.

This.

He will keep us up with a squad that was initially injury decimated low on confidence and very reluctant to change with some causing unrest and trouble. Also clearing out some of the dead wood and over paid average players and bring in some decent players like Makoun and Walker and implementing a scouting system that was an embarrassment, however some will see this as a complete failing and not see any positive just because we werent 6th again with apparently the exact circumstances.

Keep making excuses, the fact you're hinting that he's doing a good job while we are in the mix of a relegation battle is ridiculous.

Why is it when people point out positives they're just regarded as excuses?

Actually Big John the fact you think its so black and white is ridiculous. Read into my post whatever you like, I was just commenting on why its not a complete failing.

Good points well made.

Unfortunately for our club GH made a few mistakes that were seized on, some with more drama than necessary. This has clouded a few fans memories and/or judgement on remembering the issues that were at the club before GH joined and our subsequent injury predicament.

Hopefully we'll push on for a solid mid-table finish and we will all be able to forgive and forget as we rebuild for next season. :)

I would have no issue with k mac taking over and taking until the end of the season if needed in order to find the right man.

I don't see how anyone could do much worse.

The fact the argument for keeping him is about lack of available options and bad time of the year shows how badly he is doing.

You always go on about people making excuses...

Do you really think if we had the same amount of injurys as your average premiership club this year we'd be in this position still?

I certainly do not. So therefore it's not an excuse... it's a reason.

So how about stop dismissing them?

Managers held in high regard at the time such as Hodgson and Hughes? Shame they were unavailable. :winkold:

On a serious note, who would you have appointed?

I said get rid previously, now i'm going to say wait to see what he does in the transfer window. Reasoning being it's too late for another manager in the transfer window, and even with all GH's faults, with players like Carew being half arsed (on a derby day no less), it's going to be a up hill struggle for anyone. He's got one signing that may work out well, a decent loan, bring in a proven striker and i'm happy to see if his system could work.

He's buying time at the moment, he better make the most of it.

Unfortunately for our club GH made a few mistakes that were seized on, some with more drama than necessary

I don't think our results under houllier have been seized upon with more dram than necessary, they are terrible and thats the most important thing.

I think so called issues are being exaggerated as yet another excuse for houllier.

Its taken this seasons debacle to show what a rotten regime MON had put in place. It was sub-standard at every level. Yes MON finished 6th, but should have done so much better, and his project was finished, redundant hence his departure. It remains to be seen whether GH is the right man, but he inherited a very poisoned chalice, and we should never judge a manager until the season's end.

We look more settled already, and with a few new faces wanting to play for the manager, I am sure we will see Houlliers team (rather than MON's) will finish with much promise for next season.

Â