The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

****, I wanted that display on the Air, instant buy! :(

Would compromise batterylife and cost too much. Or require a bigger battery meaning weight and even more cost.

Air is meant to be 1.4kg or lighter and have great batterylife. It's about laptop power with portability.

Would compromise batterylife and cost too much. Or require a bigger battery meaning weight and even more cost.

Air is meant to be 1.4kg or lighter and have great batterylife. It's about laptop power with portability.

I didn't mean exactly like the 15 inch one, just the tech. If you can squeeze 2048-1536 resolution into the ipad there's no excuse (apart from the obvious "maximize sales roadmap" holding it back) not to have it in the Air, even the 11 inch one.

Well, I'm not sure we have any way of knowing if its better or worse until its actually out? And why the switch to iOS? Just for a change really, I've been on Android for about three years (since 1.6) and I just want to see what life is like on the other side.

Fancying a change is a perfectly valid reason, I challenged you because you said that it was maps that swayed your decision.

Ah, well lack of maps built into the operating system was the biggest advantage Android had over iOS in my eyes. Yes, there are paid for apps like Tom Tom on iOS, but I'll be **** if I am shelling out for a sat nav app when I dont need to and there are free apps like Waze which are perfectly serviceable (assuming the iOS version is similar to the Android one) but Google Navigation sets a very high bar, turn by turn navigation with real time traffic information for free is an amazing feature. If Apple can match that then my fears about going to iOS for a year or two are quelled, because I do like me a sat nav.

I didn't mean exactly like the 15 inch one, just the tech. If you can squeeze 2048-1536 resolution into the ipad there's no excuse (apart from the obvious "maximize sales roadmap" holding it back) not to have it in the Air, even the 11 inch one.

You forget that the new iPad is heavier than the old one. Also iOS is better for batterylife than OSX. Plus apple can make changes to their chips in iPads, but rely on Intel for laptops.

So the bottom line is that at this stage any increase to the display to get it to retina level would not be possible without effecting key MacBook air things like weight, battery life or price.

I think MacBook air is too heavy tbh. I think about 1.1kg is the prefect weight so I'd imagine weight reduction is still on the cards.

IO6 = shit.

Think the time really has come for Android and a bigger screen, better engine, better updates, better better better.

Apple are dropping the ball big time, so many people I know are switching on their next contract update.

My experience on here and in the real world is that people on Android are going Apple.next time and Vice versa. I'm.due an upgrade in October and aren't sure what to do. S3, Note or the iPhone 5 assuming it comes along. The 4s is a nono.

• 3 weeks later...

I call shenanigans!

A mobile phone company has probably taken a guess based on last year and the release of ios6 and told him it will be in October.

Go on then?

Plus any other news on specs?

Quad core A6, 4" Retina display, 1gb RAM,new dock connector.

All made up but I bet it isn't far off!

The new connector is apparently the smaller standard for phones now, same as samsung etc use. According to a bloke in a phone shop. Makes sense and would be welcome news. Though fairly un-apple like to use something standard other than the earphone jack, which is fairly obvious.

That's a micro USB port he was referring to. I wouldnt be surprised to see that happen, but I don't think the guy who works in the phone shop is privy to any more information than the rest of us at the moment. He might spend a bit more time reading Macrumors.com than most, but that's about it.

Â