Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Frobisher

I am not long into this and would not mind a spot of direction.

I'm a Breton, around level 11 and just started to knock off the side quests in Whiterun. I have just bashed up a dragon with Daphine is it and got a full shout and two one level shouts.

What should I be aiming to focus on, what quests reap the best early rewards and which quests are the main ones?

The Greybeards quest is the main quest. If you just killed a dragon then she will send you up a mountain to meet them. Do that one. A lot of people seem to actively avoid doing the main quest for some bizarre reason, maybe it's because it makes the game look bigger to them or something ("I played for a hundred hours and didnt touch the main quest!") but that is the quest which unlocks the most shouts and they are one of the most fun parts of the game.

If you want a good weapon early then have a look at the Daedric Artifacts line of side quests. They are almost joke quests as they are played with tongue firmly in cheek and have nothing to do with the lore for the rest of the game. Basically the demons who inhabit this universe have hidden some stuff in Skyrim and it is there for you to find it. If you play as a melee class then go to Markath as soon as you can and you will meet a guard who tries to get you to go to an abandoned house. Go with him. If you play as a caster, go into the bar of every town you find until somebody challenges you to a drinking competition. Take them up on that offer.

No class appears to be the most powerful. You can viably play any way really whether you want to stand toe to toe with stuff, whether you want to sneak past things and stab them in the back, shoot them with a bow and arrow or set them on fire. Just go with the one you find the most fun.

Rev is bang on with the advice to go to Markarth if you are a melee character. The quest with the abandoned house is easy and you'll be glad of the reward early on.

I would do that, then go do enough of the main quest to the point you can talk to the head of the Greybeards and have him tell you where shouts are - he will say that they've heard a shout somewhere and add it to your map, go there and you'll have a dungeon to go through usually, or sometimes have the shout just out in the open, usually somewhere remote. These quests are straight forward, get you around the map a lot which opens up fast travelling more for you, often have quite nice loot, and at the end you get a shout which will give you options.

I'd mix those up with the Daedric quests, most of which you stumble upon, really, and the rewards for those are usually well worth the effort.

I was one of those that largely avoided the main quest, I wanted to take my time with it worried that I would find the game lost some of it's charm once the main event was over.

It really doesnt.

Yes and no, for me.

I held off doing a lot of the main quest and eventually finished it when I sitll had about 10 achievements to pick up, mostly for finishing off a few of the guild quests and doing the Daedric quests. When I did finish it, I personally lost a little of the wonder the game had had to that point, but still had a drive to play it as there were those quests that needed doing and so on.

Once I had all the achievements, however, I've had no desire to play it at all really. I'd loved it, really enjoyed every minute, but the game felt done fo me then, there didn't seem to be much left to investigate.

Thats why I'm quite interested in this DLC, I'm hoping it really gives me the impetus to pick it up again and hammer the hell out of the game again.

I had quite the opposite experience. I did the main quest right at the start of the game and still had a ton of stuff after, I think I just saw the "main" quest as one of several entertaining quest lines in the game.

After stupidly letting myself become a stage 4 level blood starved vampire by accident I have finally been cured!

Relief is the word, not being able to go to towns and being attacked on sight is no fun not to mention that Falion won't help you and will instead try to kill you rather than cure you.

I knew I had to sneak into stables at night and feed but every time I tried there would be someone up and about at 3 in the morning so I finally managed to do it and it feels like I've got a new game to play.

Lesson of the day: don't let yourself become a blood starved vampire.

• 2 weeks later...

The Dawnguard DLC is out next week (26th June). Costs 1600 MS Points so about £12-13. I'm not sure how many hours you get out of it, but i think i'll check it out.

I was going to get Dawnguard day 1 but the (as expected) 1600 MS Point pricetag and my being uncertain that it's going to be a great add on to the game will probably see me hold off for a Live sale.

Currently sitting at level 32 with my current character. Done all of the Thieves Guild and I'm in the process of doing the last 'special mission' which will restore it to its former glory. Huzzah. Love the Nightingale Armour though. Been using it for ages now.

Gonna hit the Dark Brotherhood next. When that's complete I'll finish up the main quests and then download Dawnguard.

The vampire lord in Dawnguard looks terrible. Very ropey, poor animation and you have to keep changing back and forth from forms to get through doors. Looks like a really disappointing add on. I was really hoping for a Shivering isles quality expansion. Shame :(

To be fair, the poor animation is something that plagues Skyrim (and the Elder Scrolls games generally), I'm not surprised the problem has extended into new models. And the not being able to go through doors and such makes it basically the same as the werewolf - in dungeons, navigation in the wolf form is a nightmare, because the character model is too big it gets caught on the geometry. IIRC it had the same trouble with doors too.

Reading on Dawnguard it seems to be 'Just more Skyrim', and depending onn how you feel about the game that may, or may not, be worth your 1600 moonbucks.

Although I generally agree and I've said myself that trademark Bethesda 'issues' give their games a bit of character, I can't help but feel that waiting around 8 months for an expansion they may have ironed out a few things and built on it, rather than just knocking out more of the same. I just have a bad feeling that DLC landscape has changed a little. The Oblivion stuff was generally top notch and exciting, whereas the Fallout stuff was pretty awful, rushed and a lot of people felt quite badly let down by it.

Just feel it would have been nice if they could of pulled off a major expansion and got a few people wowing again and put all the idle DLC rep to rest. That said, I understand their intentions with this add on and I don't really have any problem with it, if you're still immersed in Skyrim's world, i'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I've been catching up on some of my open quests before undertaking any more. Completed around 6 Daedric quests and some odd ones for folk. Only got the main quest and a Companion quest open now. Might seek out some more Daedric ones though, they're quite interesting.

The Oblivion stuff was generally top notch and exciting

Horse Armour?

Horse Armour.

**** HORSE ARMOUR!

Literally the only bit of DLC Bethesda have ever made that I can think of that was worthwhile was Shivering Isle

As for Dawnguard, the whole being a Vampire Lord or whatever sounds pretty good, I guess, but it's things like not being able to enter buildings or interact when you're turned GIANT, and having to endure an unskippable cutscene everytime you change, that will really annoy me. I think it does include a couple of new homes though? But other than that it's all the same locales used over again. Any/all DLC like that I'm not bothered with in the slightest. I still havent got the game on PC though, so when an inevitable GOTY or some such comes out with it bundled, I'll try it then. Maybe.

It would be nice for them to release something a bit more along the lines of Shivering Isle for Skyrim. An interesting story, good characters, a new locale...but perhaps that is hoping for too much.

Â