David Beckham - Legend

Genie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0GESlaVNdE.

He literally pulled us off (us, being England) from the dirges with his one man show that game. Without him in his prime during that period, I doubt we would have it made it to the World Cup.

We miss his skill and qualities as a player. Not just on the field but he was also (as others have said) a great ambassador off it (did I say off? I meant is).

EDIT: Seems you beat me to the punch, Nayson, about the Greece moment. Truly great performance (our one shining light as it were).

• 9 months later...

I think he'll go to PSG if the offer is valid.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who would be up for playing in a country he hasn't played in before.

PLus, you know, it's Paris. And they'll pay him a fucktonne

I think he could do a real job at Spurs for 18 months personally. The only problem would be his position, ideally they'd need him to play right wing, because Lennon isnt 'all that', but he probably doesnt have the pace for it any more. They're well covered in central midfield, so David would probably be limited to the odd appearance as an impact sub.

Perhaps he should go and play in a foreign league where he can canter around playing the quarter back role.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who would be up for playing in a country he hasn't played in before.

Aye. I think its either Paris or retirement and staying in L.A.

There has been a lot of Beckham coverage this week because the Galaxy could potentially win the MLS in the last game under Beckham's current contract. Like lots of things in his life, pure Hollywood.

However, lots of people associated with Beckham and the Galaxy have said just how settled he is in L.A. at the moment. His daughter Harper was born there (so she is an American citizen) and his sons are all happy at school. He might just stay in California for a few years for all we know. I guess if he does go to Paris then his family could stay in L.A., which is what I think happened when he was at Milan. Again, I cannot help but respect the bloke. Yes, he has got a girly voice and likes to drive flash cars but **** it, he has earned everything he has. Said it on the first page and I'll say it again. English football's greatest ever servant.

How is he english footballs greatest ever servant? Apart from the greece game, the germany 5-1 and the argentina 1-0 i cant think of a single game where hes played well. Top that with the fact that he got sent off and cost us the game against argentina in 1998, bottling the challenge that led to the goal against brazil, and blazing the penalty over against portugal, i actually consider him a failed captain. What really winds me up is the fact he has so many caps people compare him to players like bobby charlton hes not fit to lace his boots

How is he english footballs greatest ever servant? Apart from the greece game, the germany 5-1 and the argentina 1-0 i cant think of a single game where hes played well.

To avoid going around in circles I refer you to this post but I do need to highlight the difference between a great servant to the game and the most talented player we have ever had. I am old enough to be aware of England teams going back to the 1986 world and I would say that Gary Lineker and Gazza were both better players than Beckham was, but Beckham had other qualities which made him such a good servant to the England cause on and off the pitch. I have already stated them several times, but the fact that he has always been available for selection, that he has kept himself fit and that he clearly loves England every bit as much as the most passionate fan speaks volumes. Compare him to Gazza, the most talented English footballer I have ever seen, but a player who didnt really care that much about looking after himself or setting an example to the kids who idolised him and you will see the point I am trying to make. You can use David Beckham as an example to kids just getting into football because he combines everything you would want to preach to those who might make it as a pro. Beckham had the talent, but he still chose to work hard and have the right attitude to the game. He is an England legend.

Like I find myself saying a lot, Rev has summed it up perfectly.

Incidentally he was interviewed on the phone on Chris Moyles this morning. he did sound settled, but he also sounded very open to playing somewhere else.

Said he'd had interest from big clubs in Europe which he found flattering at his age.

And he also indicated that he wasn't keen on playing in England. He said he couldn't imagine pulling on a shirt that wasn't United's.

So yeh, I'd say PSG or stay in California.

They had a section on him in the latest Football Weekly ("we watch the MLS, so you dont have to") and they quoted the odds of him going to Paris. Cant remember exactly what they were, but he was odds on to go there and fairly long odds on going to Spurs or QPR. The bookies dont get much wrong, do they?

Neil Warnock has said it's "feasible" for Beckham to go to QPR but he's not sure whether he'd get i nthe team.

I'm sure that's bound to get him to sign for them!

I hope he doesn't go to Spurs. I'd hate to have to hate him.

I'm pretty sure 'Arry has already spoken on the subject (what a surprise!), think he said something along the lines of "it would be fantastic to have him but he wouldn't be able to guarantee him a game and at his age he'd want to be playing every week"

He has said on a number of occasions he wouldn't play for another club in England that wasn' utd so I expect him to honour that. Could SAF resign him? We know he likes the occasional 'golden oldie' but would the Beckham circus be too much? I expect so. Mt predictions, PSG on silly money or a club in the middle east for even sillier money.

They had a section on him in the latest Football Weekly ("we watch the MLS, so you dont have to") and they quoted the odds of him going to Paris. Cant remember exactly what they were, but he was odds on to go there and fairly long odds on going to Spurs or QPR. The bookies dont get much wrong, do they?

4/9 to go to PSG and 10-1 to go to either QPR or Spurs.

think he might be too slow for fast paced Premier League could be similar to Pires signing. Would Spurs or QPR drop lightning quick Lennor or SWP for him

David Beckham, 36 or not, or Shaun Wright-Phillips....Hmmmm.

I'd still have him in the England squad for what it's worth. The former not the latter, obviously.

think he might be too slow for fast paced Premier League could be similar to Pires signing. Would Spurs or QPR drop lightning quick Lennor or SWP for him

David Beckham, 36 or not, or Shaun Wright-Phillips....Hmmmm.

I'd still have him in the England squad for what it's worth. The former not the latter, obviously.

Beckham never had pace. Pires relied on it at Arsenal, and when it went he was not the same player. You could see last season how many times he turned his man and tried to run away from him. He could still do the turn but he didnt have the legs to run away and he got tackled. You wouldnt buy Beckham to do that anyway, he is a completely different player today and he always was. You buy him for his range of passing and his dead ball delivery. I dont think he would fit into the Spurs side as they have got great balance at the moment and he would upset that, but ten years ago everybody said Beckham is the sort of player who will still be able to do a job in his mid thirties and, lets face it, he is.

Paris does seem a good option though. The French league is slower, and Paris is probably a really nice town to live in if you have £100m in the bank. Joe Cole is in great form in Lille and Beckham just might want to emulate that.

Peanuts comapred to what he is on at LA, somewhere around 600,000 pound a week. 5 year 250million contract

Peanuts comapred to what he is on at LA, somewhere around 600,000 pound a week. 5 year 250million contract

Is he bollocks. He's earning $6.5m per year.

He earns a shed-load more through image rights and sponsorship. Which he would do where ever he plays.

Â