Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link

Gerard Houllier has delivered a stark warning to Aston Villa fans after taking over from Martin O'Neill.

Despite finishing sixth for the past three seasons, Villa can expect to finish between seventh and 12th according to their new boss.

The former Liverpool manager, who will no longer take charge of the match against Stoke on Monday, said: 'Aston Villa is not a club on the same level as Liverpool, let's be objective and honest.

Oh no, what have I gone and said? Houllier faces the media at Villa Park on Friday

'It's a club that according to me has belonged between seventh and 12th place in the Premier League.

'But, above all, it's a historic club which has won the European Cup. It's a club which has got good infrastructure and a fine team which is after one thing - to improve year on year.'

Houllier revealed he rejected other offers before taking charge at Villa and hopes to build on the success achieved under O'Neill.

Fresh challenge: Houllier puts his shirt on making his mark with Aston Villa

He said: 'It was really starting to tickle me. I wanted to go back pitchside. I had, of course, other proposals but this one seemed to be the most interesting in terms of working conditions and environment.'

Houllier was expected to make his bow in Monday's clash with Stoke but that has now been put on hold, and he is not expected to take over for another fortnight.

He revealed at his official unveiling on Friday afternoon that he has to agree a

departure date from his role of technical director with the French Football

Federation.

If all goes to plan, the 63-year-old is set to be at the helm for the first time for the home Carling Cup game with Blackburn on September 22.

In charge for now: Kevin MacDonald

Houllier will not attend Monday's Barclays Premier League clash at Stoke while he thrashes out the terms of his exit from the FFF.

He will return to England for the home match with Bolton on September 18 but Kevin MacDonald will remain as caretaker boss for the next few days.

Houllier said: 'I take great pride in my appointment as manager of Aston Villa. It is a great honour for me.

'Why am I here? One of the reasons is that I think Randy Lerner [owner] and Paul Faulkner [chief executive] have great enthusiasm, dynamism and honesty and they convinced me of their ambitions for the club.

'I had a good job with the FFF but I had a desire to return to English football - although it is not a case of unfinished business because I did well at Liverpool and won six trophies.

Houllier confirmed that MacDonald will not be part of Villa's first-team set-up.

He said: 'I spoke to Kevin this morning and he prefers to go back to his role as reserve team manager.

'He has done a very good job and I trust him and I am sure our relationship will be good.'

Are the Daily Mail fabricating quotes now?

Not being funny here Pompey, but the Daily mail have listened to a different conference that i and everyone else have.

Theyve left out the decent quotes, and have given other quotes a negative spin. Quite disgusting really, but nothing that im suprised about, sadly.

Did you listen to the conference?

If not, then go and listen to it :winkold:

Aston Villa is not a club of the same level as Liverpool” he said. “Let’s be objective and honest, it is a club which, for me, finds itself between seventh and twelfth place. It is above all a historic club, which has won the European Cup. It is a club which a very good set up, a good team, and which demands just one thing: to progress year on year”. Why choose a mid table English club after having tasted a higher level in the past? “I had other offers, but this seemed to me the most interesting in terms of environment, of work conditions”

Mistranslated by some knob and repeated by the moan brigade as us belonging in 7th - 12th place.

Apologies for not having the original source, or being able to translate it

Either way, he's wrong. We finished 6th, three seasons in a row. Unless of course he's referring to our league positions during his reign as Liverpool manager, in which case, the point is irrelevant and would only be printed to put a negative spin on an article.

This thread is absolutely ridiculous, pages and pages of absolute tripe.

How people can misquote and interpret anything negative from a televised is beyond me. I stopped posting during the last week of the manager thread (probablt around the same time as the General) as some of the crap spouted is astounding.

The press conference was like a breath of fresh air, GH spoke with confidence and passion and genuinely looked delighted to be herem, as well as disappointed not to be able to get cracking straight away. I wasn't overly keen on his appointment, however having seen him interviewed today, im now looking forward to him moving us forward.

Any chance we can stop the 'panic' and 'hysteria' and act like adults?? probably not........

Aston Villa is not a club of the same level as Liverpool” he said. “Let’s be objective and honest, it is a club which, for me, finds itself between seventh and twelfth place. It is above all a historic club, which has won the European Cup. It is a club which a very good set up, a good team, and which demands just one thing: to progress year on year”. Why choose a mid table English club after having tasted a higher level in the past? “I had other offers, but this seemed to me the most interesting in terms of environment, of work conditions”

Mistranslated by some knob and repeated by the moan brigade as us belonging in 7th - 12th place.

Apologies for not having the original source, or being able to translate it

Either way, he's wrong. We finished 6th, three seasons in a row. Unless of course he's referring to our league positions during his reign as Liverpool manager, in which case, the point is irrelevant and would only be printed to put a negative spin on an article.

A number of us think he is talking about since the PL started...It works out over all the years to something like 7-8th

Pompey I agree that in terms of our league position we are in a better position than the 7th-12th stated but in terms of the bigger picture we are further down the pecking order in terms of the revenue we generate the knock on affect being the level that cashflow allows the club to sustain. This is the most pressing concern for Randy and Faulkner to address and one that I believe they are tackling with regards to the new sponsorship and the more exclusive(expensive) seating changes in the stadium. What we should be focusing on is his desire to break the top 4 in the next three years as stated in the press conference. IMO where he wants us to be is far more important than where he currently sees us.

Pompey I agree that in terms of our league position we are in a better position than the 7th-12th stated but in terms of the bigger picture we are further down the pecking order in terms of the revenue we generate the knock on affect being the level that cashflow allows the club to sustain. This is the most pressing concern for Randy and Faulkner to address and one that I believe they are tackling with regards to the new sponsorship and the more exclusive(expensive) seating changes in the stadium. What we should be focusing on is his desire to break the top 4 in the next three years as stated in the press conference. IMO where he wants us to be is far more important than where he currently sees us.

Yes, he gave the distinct impression that he was here to challenge and not just make up the numbers. And I think Europe, in particular the CL, holds a great deal of importance to him in the grand scheme of things.

look lads (and lassies) its unlikely any of us have ever met but fairly likely the large majority of us have walked side by side up to the stands of our beloved team. We have a new manager, 80 odd percent thinking its a great decision, a few sitting on the fence, a few totally against it. The one thing we should ALL have in common is we want our team to do well, we love them to bits, we live and breath it, we check news now every 5 mins for villa news, we hopelessly refresh the BBC sport website on transfer deadline day, but in our thousands we troop down to aston hoping we get three points. So whether you think this is a hopeless plea, a bloke with nothing better to do while his wife is at work, or someone who is actually speaking some sense, lets forget the misquotes, the spin,the shitty articles in newspapers without any fact, the ridiculous opinions of stan collymore et al and get right behind our new manager - we are aston **** villa COME ON !!!!!

I've been pretty positive on the whole GH appointment until today. That's a little unfair, actually, I still am positive overall, but a few dents have now been put into my mood.

There was a bit too much referencing of Liverpool for my liking. And yes, it would be nice to beat them at VP, but that shouldn't be our overriding ambition. Hopefully he'll stop talking about them too much before it feels like a David O'Leary/Leeds thing.

And another O'Leary echo is the trying to dampen expectations by mentioning the 7th-12th thing. It just wasn't necessary for him to say that and I think it was a mistake. If we finish 10th and GH thinks we've overachieved then I'm not going to be too happy.

He's said some nice, positive stuff about the club too, I'm well aware of that. I just have some reservations to my optimism now, that's all.

i think the board have told him to calm expectations a little because the board imo,got the there hands burnt when they first came in with the 5 year plan thing,i'd say they said lets keep espectations a little low,and if we do better then all well and good..

He came across well today I thought. As for him trying to set our expectation levels I personally don't think he tried to and even if he did I certainly wouldn't let him set mine. I'll judge him on the standards the previous manager set. Hopefully he'll at least match those. If he doesn't then either he or the board will have have failed.

not sure if this has been posted..so mods cant do short links.'>http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/sol/newsid_7260000/newsid_7265700/7265722.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1&ms3=6&ms_javascript=true&bbcws=2

not sure if this has been posted..so mods cant do short links.

Â