• Collins
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor (for Carew 68)

Great performance from the defence today.

We got lucky that Ireland got injured and Coker came in otherwise there is no way we would have won the way we did.

Also think that we should have taken Downing and/or Albrighton and put on Cuellar just for the extra body in the box.

Bring on stoke!

Bloody hell the MotD highlights were kind to us today. They made it look like we battered Everton despite playing against a dodge referee, then they spent ages singing Albrighton's praises but failed to mention he got skinned half a dozen times by Baines.

I see so many posts on VT about anti Villa bias in the media. That wasn't the case today!

Really don't think the highlights were biased.

I mean, that was pretty much all the chances in the games. Everton dominated the game but how many chances did they create. We actually created just as many chances as them just barely had the ball!

I pretty much agree in retrospect, although everton had about 62% possession, they only produced 2 saves from Brad and one was hand ball. We really did defend really well.

Friedel 8- Played well

L.Young 8 (MOTM)- took a great goal and put his body on the line.

Collins 8 - Had a great game

Dunne 7- Carrying an injury.

Warnock 7- did well but lunged in a few times.

Petrov 6- worked hard but we couldn't keep posession

Reo Coker 6 - Did alot of running but his skill level is shockingly poor. has the touch of a rapist.

A.Young 6 - Great pass for the goal but too many over hit set pieces and too much whinging.

Downing 4 - Terrible. Offered nest ot nothing.

Albrighton 4 - Defensively terrible but he's only learning his trade.

Carew 5- Did a bit better at the start of the second half.

A 1-0 win to paper over the cracks. If we give sides that much possession we'll lose alot more than we'll win. If Everton had a striker on the pitch then it would have been 3-1 to them. Macdonald's failure to adjust in the first half was worrying but at least in the second half we were a bit better.

By the way, I really hope Kev Mac kept Agbonlahor on the bench today because Gabby was carrying a knock. Seriously, Carew again was pretty poor, a good 15 minute spell in second half but first half was terrible again.

He had nothing whatsoever to work with first half, the midfield sat so deep even when he had a chance to get hold of it, not even Ashley Young was within 25 yards of him.

People seem quick to trot out lines about Carew being lazy and not putting himself about etc etc when he gets absolutely no service. He seems to be expected to take down the ball from neck height or head it on perfectly into the path of the invisible man. All of this whilst having to wrestle the nearest centre half who is seemingly allowed to wrestle him purely on the basis that he is huge.

Carew does himself no favours at times with his languid style but it is a cliche and an easy option to throw the blame at him for the rest of the teams failings which were very apparent today.

As for Stewart Downing, I asked a mate who knows his football (but not a Villa fan) if by the 90th minute he could explain to me the point of Downing's existence...................Unsuprisingly he drew a blank, how can you have a player that offers nothing at all, does everything he possibly can to stay out of anything remotely physical, can't cross, can't pass and really doesn't want the ball.

We won, we defended like Lions, doubts about Friedel have gone and Luke Young showed us what an asset he is that we nearly lost. That papers over the cracks, we were rag arse at times, got picked off far too easily time and time again and somehow took the 3 points. Everton looked far more accomplished playing with a similar formation, the movement and passing was far superior to our own.

Good post, with which I agree ;-)

Collins. We look 10 times more comfortable with him at the back. He seemed to be everywhere, just what we needed at the moment!

What a bargain at £4m he was. People moan about Downing as a MON signing but when you look at the signings of Collins, Dunne, Ashley etc it more than makes up for it. :winkold:

Story of our season. We should be sat with 9 points after the performances, instead we are stuck with 1. If this game had come in the middle of a unbeaten run, I suspect it would of been a fairly routine win. Instead, lacking the goals and the ball not bouncing for us, we end up with nothing. I'm not concerned overly. The performances are there, we're playing well and we have goals in that team but it's just not falling for us right now. It is mightily frustrating though.

Beckford needs to learn to hold the ball up better and we need to learn his game better. He was anonymous first half really but it'll take time for him to adapt to our style and the step up to the league. There is a reason why he started ahead of Saha, as he's impressed more. Bit niave to think he'll come in and do work right away. He's used to having someone right up there with him, add to this the chances we had to put him through and didn't, he's just not really ready or on our wavelength yet.

Personally I don't think Beckford will ever really be on the premiership wavelength. He's got the confidence but not that little extra in the skills dept.

Entertaining game and Everton will undoubtedly start winning (unless Moyes decides to put his hat into the Villa ring :winkold: )

Personally I don't think Beckford will ever really be on the premiership wavelength. He's got the confidence but not that little extra in the skills dept.

Entertaining game and Everton will undoubtedly start winning (unless Moyes decides to put his hat into the Villa ring :winkold: )

It's his hold up play that is the problem. Because of how we play it is important that our striker can hold the ball up. It's Beckford's weakness, particularly with the step up. He did Dunne a few times resulting in him being booked, and he did the same to Wolves. We'll see anyway.

Oh and not a chance :winkold:

He did Dunne a few times resulting in him being booked

He fell over fairly near to the big fella and the ref made one of his many very poor decisions on the day - never a foul yet alone a booking.

I thought you deserved more out of the game, but the refereeing made it difficult to have any sympathy - what did you make of him?

He fell over fairly near to the big fella and the ref made one of his many very poor decisions on the day - never a foul yet alone a booking.

I thought you deserved more out of the game, but the refereeing made it difficult to have any sympathy - what did you make of him?

Dude, the one Dunne got booked on was a terrible challenge, Beckford went past him and Dunne knew it so just stuck his leg about 4 foot in the air and bought him down. Have you not seen the replay!?

By the way, I really hope Kev Mac kept Agbonlahor on the bench today because Gabby was carrying a knock. Seriously, Carew again was pretty poor, a good 15 minute spell in second half but first half was terrible again.

He had nothing whatsoever to work with first half, the midfield sat so deep even when he had a chance to get hold of it, not even Ashley Young was within 25 yards of him.

People seem quick to trot out lines about Carew being lazy and not putting himself about etc etc when he gets absolutely no service. He seems to be expected to take down the ball from neck height or head it on perfectly into the path of the invisible man. All of this whilst having to wrestle the nearest centre half who is seemingly allowed to wrestle him purely on the basis that he is huge.

Carew does himself no favours at times with his languid style but it is a cliche and an easy option to throw the blame at him for the rest of the teams failings which were very apparent today.

I don't expect him miracles, I.e. as you say, if a ball is played into his head, I don't expect him to do anything with it. It's also not unreasonable though to ask when a ball goes into him, for him to at least hold the ball up or make simple passes which he struggled with, yesterday and also against Newcastle.

Dude, the one Dunne got booked on was a terrible challenge, Beckford went past him and Dunne knew it so just stuck his leg about 4 foot in the air and bought him down. Have you not seen the replay!?

haha yeah im glad you pointed that out prideofbrum - that was a really cynical challenge from dunney. probably the right thing to do and prevent beckford going through on goal. not that he'd have scored mind... no idea how the bloke is in the premierleague, let alone starting ahead of Saha for a team like Everton.

haha yeah im glad you pointed that out prideofbrum - that was a really cynical challenge from dunney. probably the right thing to do and prevent beckford going through on goal. not that he'd have scored mind... no idea how the bloke is in the premierleague, let alone starting ahead of Saha for a team like Everton.

Thought it was a yellow but didn't think he needed to do it as Collins had got back and covered for him and would have beat Beckford to the ball.

Story of our season. We should be sat with 9 points after the performances, instead we are stuck with 1. If this game had come in the middle of a unbeaten run, I suspect it would of been a fairly routine win. Instead, lacking the goals and the ball not bouncing for us, we end up with nothing. I'm not concerned overly. The performances are there, we're playing well and we have goals in that team but it's just not falling for us right now. It is mightily frustrating though.

Beckford needs to learn to hold the ball up better and we need to learn his game better. He was anonymous first half really but it'll take time for him to adapt to our style and the step up to the league. There is a reason why he started ahead of Saha, as he's impressed more. Bit niave to think he'll come in and do work right away. He's used to having someone right up there with him, add to this the chances we had to put him through and didn't, he's just not really ready or on our wavelength yet.

I think you have similar problems to us:

- good keeper

- good defence, although Hibbert is a bit of a weak link I think and I would have liked to see Marc have more of a go at him

- great CM in Felaini, Arteta and Cahill

- lack of width, especially on the right. I felt sorry for Rodwell having to play out there. He is clearly a v good CM'er but not a wide player

- good first choice striker in Saha (not sure why he is not starting) but poor back up

This is similar to us except we have good width but a lack of a decent balance in CM. I personally feel Petrov is our weak link. Would you say this is a fair comparison?

tbh i think cahill is a very limited footballer. the ability to score headers by launching himself up on the shoulders of opponents or by just shoving them out of the way is pretty much all he can do. fellaini is very mediocre too for me, if he didnt look like such a moron i doubt i would have noticed anything he did on the pitch yesterday except for the gaffe he made for our goal

Â