Collins 10

Warnock 9

Reo-Coker 9

Petrov 7.5

Downing 7.5

Albrighton - 7.5

Young - 8.5

Carew - 6.

That's honestly, that defending was world class.

Petrov gets the same rating as Downing?

just curious as to what you think he did as good as Petrov?

To be honest, I can't remember much good either did although I seem to remember Downing later on in the game really chasing down opponents and showing good defensive work although pretty wasteful with possesion surprisingly. In fact, Downing should be down half a mark and possibly Petrov although he was very steady. I'm just happy so everyone gets extra marks.

Although defenders geniunally deserve a 10. That was more than solid. Solid is doing everything asked of them, they went beyond that in my opinion, they made headers, blocks, clearances when it didn't look possible. Friedel 2 world class saves, some great handling and great punch.

fair enough mate

A major improvement i must say.

midfield looked solid,defence was excellent.

friedel and collins for me joint motm

flashes of greatness from albrighton..this lad has a very bright future.(hope they dont sell him next season, sigh)

Overall despite what a few fickle fans are saying,it was a great result for the club and the players.

I'm still trying to decide whether it was a good thing that Ireland was injured. Reo Coker played well in his own kind of way, but our ball retention was nowhere near where it should have been. On the flipside, he tackles hard, works very hard and has a strong mentality. He certainly kept us going and took a bit of the defensive burden from Petrov (who also defended very well).

I've been in Africa for the past 10 days so I've not heard any Villa news. How as Ireland fitted in so far? Did he play against Newcastle?

Attendance is a tad concerning given they were doing seats for a tenner on this game... thought it would be a sellout.

Felt the game could have gone either way but nowt wrong with our performance - think both teams played well. As for Ireland - not exactly a good luck charm is he? both games he's played we've lost...

I'm still trying to decide whether it was a good thing that Ireland was injured. Reo Coker played well in his own kind of way, but our ball retention was nowhere near where it should have been. On the flipside, he tackles hard, works very hard and has a strong mentality. He certainly kept us going and took a bit of the defensive burden from Petrov (who also defended very well).

I've been in Africa for the past 10 days so I've not heard any Villa news. How as Ireland fitted in so far? Did he play against Newcastle?

Stupidly over-run and completly out-battled vs Newcastle with Petrov and Ireland in the middle. I mean, we played some nice little football at times in the first half but Ireland was way too deep to really have much impact creativity wise so it was almost pointless, some nice little passes, into Carew, lose it and because Ireland isn't exactly a brute defensively, just got over-run constantly.

I think those 3 all together would be great though.

Attendance today 34,725.

Club "crisis" needs solving quick to get back even the fans we have lost this season.

whats our average attendance btw?

Last season 38,573. This season 36604 for W Ham & 34725 for this one.

Last season attendance at the Everton home fixture = 38729.

Bearing in mind the last 2 results, the general air of negativity that was surrounding the club and the fact it's a bank holiday weekend the crowd was not really a shock.

Great battling performance on a day when the result was everything and a vital win against one of our main rivals.

Now to appoint a manager and see if we can keep in touch with our rivals until the Jan winter when hopefully we will able to strengthen a bit.

Very happy with the win, but I am not sure if I am going to get to sleep for some time as my heart is still beating out of my chest.

You as well?!!

:D

But it's 1:52 am here and I have to be up for work in 5 hours!!

Glad I stayed up though. Feeling much happier with the world than I was this time last week!

A great show of grit and determination to beat a very good Everton side and their incredibly inept referee. I thought the back line did really well with the two centre halves outstanding, Young was excellent again and he really has made a terrific start to the season.

Everton looked good and I think we are probably lucky to be sitting here with three points but it's hard to feel sorry for them with the help they had. The second half was torture at times but frankly I don't care, I'm delighted with that.

Friedel 8

Young 8

Collins 9

Dunne 8

Warnock 7

Roe Coker 7

Petrov 8

Downing 7

Albrighton 7

Young 9

Carew 8

Great for us, bad for Everton and a dark day for the standard of Premiership refereeing.

I can feel a pint coming on.

I think all of us who said NRC must play to shield the defence in certain matches (both this year and last) feel pretty good right now. It's nice to 'have him back'! However, watching him carefully, I'd forgotten how bad he is on the ball - his short passing is wayward far more often than an average player, his touch isn't great, and he seems really easily disposessed. But you can't deny the work he gets through closing passing lanes etc - it's essential.

I thought we played a magnificent 'away' game today, and I think NRC should play in all our away games. I thought Carew offered nothing in terms of effort, pressing or runs. I'd drop him if we're gonna play on the counter - we need to have possession and be putting in cross after cross for Carew to make sense.

What I'd do away from home or against the big 3 is -

GK and defence as today.

Young---Petrov---NRC---Downing

------Ireland------------------------

----------------Gabby---------------

With Ireland playing Ash's current position, just a little deeper. Or if you want to leave Ash where he is (because he's playing out of his skin imo), then you drop Ireland and bring in Albrighton - though I thought Everton passed around Albrigton very easily today - he has a lot to learn about defending.

Bit of fight shown which was great. We had our backs against the wall at the end but we had a couple of chances second half to go two up as well.

Collins was my MOTM, an absolute wall. Warnock was so much better today as well. Thought Petrov had a poor game.

We were absolutely terrible in the first half, the possession we allowed Everton was embarrassing. Totally outplayed in midfield.

Much improved in the second half. Still very lucky to get a result.

Great to get a win after the horrors of the previous week. Really last ditch defending at times against a team which doesn't have a striker to speak of. An awful lot of work to be done yet. Hopefully that will be sorted when we get a new manager in. Just grateful that we won though.

For MacDonald, the positives today were that he had the team fired up, the negatives were that we played far too deeply and we still get a little confused between defending well and defending a lot. Particularly in the first half, Downing and Albrighton spent a lot of time in the full back positions which encouraged their full backs forward and made it hard for us to break out.

Oh and in case I didn't mention is yet -shocking, shocking referee.

Â