• Collins
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor (for Carew 68)

Just back to bristol from the match, looking for heart medication after that effort. Pissed me off to hear Alan Green saying Everton should have won comfortably. I know they had a few chances but we should have scored 3 or 4 in the second half, and with the referee wearing blue we did pretty well.

Defence were excellent

Ashley played well and looked dangerous

Downing should get a break, let Ashley back to the left with Ireland up front

Albrighton definately should be in side ahead of Downing - as he can actually cross the ball!!

Carew worked hard, chased back and held up the ball quite well all things considered

Now this is my concern

Both petrov and reo coker worked hard defensively and put in a good shift, but both of them lack the real skill to take us any further. I lost track of the times reo coker did all the hard work, broke up the play, surged forward, but then made a terrible pass! It is these little things that make a difference. If reo coker had more ability going forward today we would have score at least another one, and the pressure would have eased. The same to a lesser degree with petrov, pretty good player, fought hard, but not quite the quality to make us consistently successful.

I was pretty pleased with the performance today but these couple, and Downing, stop us being really great. If i see Downing cross the ball over everyone and out for a goal kick again i may cry! We are not far from being a really good side!

great game! not sure how we won but that just adds to how good the win was.

went with an everton friend and after he somehow came to say the ref was bias towards us? i just laughed. ref was shocking...

friedel was a gamesaver, as was collins, but i thought Reo-Coker was MOTM, never stopped working, and went on a couple of great runs which got the crowd really going.

the last 10 mins were so nerve racking and annoying. everytime we blocked or saved a shot from everton, there was a massive cheers and we felt like we were going to win, then we would give it straight back to them! nevermind though, when that final whistle went (EVENTUALLY!) it was great.

now we just need a new manager, and a goal scorer.

UTV!

Carew is playing with a knee injury. Just said on Norwegian telly that he's playing with 'one and a half knee at the moment'.

Think it should be taken into consideration.

I thought he lead the line fairly well. Certainly gave Distin something to think about.

Carew is playing with a knee injury. Just said on Norwegian telly that he's playing with 'one and a half knee at the moment'.

Think it should be taken into consideration.

I thought he lead the line fairly well. Certainly gave Distin something to think about.

Yes, I agree, just thought I'd mention it. Played better as the game went on today and had a good second half imo. Just hope he can get over these niggling injuries and go on a long spell fully fit, because then we'll see the real John Carew again.

MOTM = Ashley Young, closely followed by Friedal. Young pips it for his build up play for the goal and the amount of work he put in for the team.

Don't like to knock a player after a win like that but Downing, WTF!!!

Couldn't agree more.

Bloody hell the MotD highlights were kind to us today. They made it look like we battered Everton despite playing against a dodgy referee, then they spent ages singing Albrighton's praises but failed to mention he got skinned half a dozen times by Baines.

I see so many posts on VT about anti Villa bias in the media. That wasn't the case today!

Bloody hell the MotD highlights were kind to us today. They made it look like we battered Everton despite playing against a dodge referee, then they spent ages singing Albrighton's praises but failed to mention he got skinned half a dozen times by Baines.

I see so many posts on VT about anti Villa bias in the media. That wasn't the case today!

Really don't think the highlights were biased.

I mean, that was pretty much all the chances in the games. Everton dominated the game but how many chances did they create. We actually created just as many chances as them just barely had the ball!

Friedel ........ 9

Young ......... 9

Collins ........ 9

Dunne ......... 9

Warnock ...... 8

Albrighton ... 7 (Going forward 8, defending 5)

Stan ............. 6

NRC ............. 8

Downing ...... 6

Ash ............. 9

Carew .......... 6

K Mac .......... 5

Defence was ace. Midfield looks unbalanced - how K Mac thought we were going to challenge Everton with a CM pair of Petrov and Ireland is beyond me. NRC played really well today - his drive and energy and tracking back is vital, especially when we play physical teams live Everton & Newcastle. Carew should have come of 10-15 mins earlier and Downing should have come off on 60 with Bannan coming in and Ash moved out left so we could match up to them - they always had a spare man in CM - and get some ball. I would also have probably taken off Stan and pushed Collins forward into DCM with Cuellar coming on at CB for the last 15.

By the way, I really hope Kev Mac kept Agbonlahor on the bench today because Gabby was carrying a knock. Seriously, Carew again was pretty poor, a good 15 minute spell in second half but first half was terrible again.

He had nothing whatsoever to work with first half, the midfield sat so deep even when he had a chance to get hold of it, not even Ashley Young was within 25 yards of him.

People seem quick to trot out lines about Carew being lazy and not putting himself about etc etc when he gets absolutely no service. He seems to be expected to take down the ball from neck height or head it on perfectly into the path of the invisible man. All of this whilst having to wrestle the nearest centre half who is seemingly allowed to wrestle him purely on the basis that he is huge.

Carew does himself no favours at times with his languid style but it is a cliche and an easy option to throw the blame at him for the rest of the teams failings which were very apparent today.

Petrov delivered a very poor performance in the middle of the park, one of the worst I have seen in a long time. Reo Coker looks like a small child chasing a ball as it bobbles around of various parts of his lower legs, but he's never quite in control. Whilst his tireless work and destructive ability is at times invaluable it doesn't excuse his play going the other way. As for Stewart Downing, I asked a mate who knows his football (but not a Villa fan) if by the 90th minute he could explain to me the point of Downing's existence...................Unsuprisingly he drew a blank, how can you have a player that offers nothing at all, does everything he possibly can to stay out of anything remotely physical, can't cross, can't pass and really doesn't want the ball.

We won, we defended like Lions, doubts about Friedel have gone and Luke Young showed us what an asset he is that we nearly lost. That papers over the cracks, we were rag arse at times, got picked off far too easily time and time again and somehow took the 3 points. Everton looked far more accomplished playing with a similar formation, the movement and passing was far superior to our own.

Also how shit is Beckford, i guarantee he won't score more than 5 goals this season in the prem.

I thought Beckford was the difference between the sides.

Put even an average striker on the pitch for Everton out there today and I feel they'd have won. He was woeful, a real league 1 player out of his depth.

It made me reconsider what I'm saying when I say Carew was 'poor'. When I say that I mean Carew didn't reach his potential and / or work hard enough. Carew at his poorest still has moments of class. Beckford was miles out of his league today.

Bloody hell the MotD highlights were kind to us today. They made it look like we battered Everton despite playing against a dodgy referee, then they spent ages singing Albrighton's praises but failed to mention he got skinned half a dozen times by Baines.

I watched MotD, then thought, 'I bet no-one on VT will mention this ridiculously pro-Villa bias!' Cheers for proving me wrong, it was pretty outrageous! Bore no relation to the match I watched on sky, then made out like Albrighton was some kind of genius when he had two or three good moments in the entire match!

On the other hand, they were trying to get Phil Brown the job, so you win some you lose some...

Aye, he is a terrible player. Everton only picked him up because he was a bosman transfer on lower league wages. Financially it was definitely worth a punt, but if having him in the team is costing Everton points then it still wasnt worth the gamble. It's not like he is a kid with bags of potential either, he turns 27 soon.

Friedel 8.5- good saves and caught well under pressure.

L.Young 8- good goal, and he offers us much going forwards. Crucial blocks.

Collins 9*- put his life on the line against an Everton side with aerial threat.

Dunne 7- did less than his partner but was solid, if looking a little sluggish.

Warnock 7- part of an excellent defensive performance.

Petrov 6- crucial blocks and hard work but failed to stamp his authority.

Reo Coker 7.5- composed and strong on the ball.

A.Young 7.5- worked extremely hard and a good lay off for the goal.

Downing 4.5- invisible.

Albrighton 7- caught out defensively but ran his heart out for the full 90. Shame about the miss though Marc!

Carew 4.5- this could be a problem area. I'd expect Gabby to take his place soon.

Nice to see a solid looking defence on paper, and a performance to match it.

My worry is that until Delph returns, we really lack depth in midfield. NRC should have started in my opinion anyway, although in the next game I would drop Downing on today's evidence, move Young wide and play Ireland in the hole. I'd like to see us with a 433, but I'm not convinced Carew is the man for it, particularly if he is carrying a niggle.

Reo Coker---Petrov

.......Ireland

Albrighton...Young

......Gabby

injuries aside, should be the way forward for the time being.

Â