Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.

If we're playing a good attacking team, then yes we need two holding players behind him.

Against teams like Stoke, I'd fancy him as one of the deeper players - but only if partnered with NRC, or Delph next year. He and Petrov are too lightweight together.

But for all that I'd rest Downing and play as people are suggesting.

If he's gonna play him against Stoke, it has got to be in the hole with two sitting midfielders. Please, please, please! Rest DJ or Albrighton.

I would not risk DJ against Stoke. They will just try and bully us, and im not sure he has the bottle for a fight, and young Mark does.

Who the smeg is DJ?!

If he's gonna play him against Stoke, it has got to be in the hole with two sitting midfielders. Please, please, please! Rest DJ or Albrighton.

I would not risk DJ against Stoke. They will just try and bully us, and im not sure he has the bottle for a fight, and young Mark does.

Who the smeg is DJ?!

I told you lads! We need a "Frequently Asked Questions" sticky in the VillaTalk section!!! This would be one of the answers..

Downing likes to DJ... Hence "DJ Downing"

Ireland's looked shit so far.

Headless chicken springs to mind.

Ever the optimist *rolly eyes*

Hes played twice...his first lots of 90 minutes in over 9 months, trained for about a week with his new team mates.

Can i just ask what the hell you were expecting?

Really? I assumed DJ stood for "Deserting Jackass" what with Downing's propensity to go completely AWOL in matches.

At least with Heskey we know he's on the floor somewhere, Stewart Houdining's vanishing acts are baffling.

I take it you missed the first 45 minutes of the Vienna match then.

No, I sat through it, in the rain just as I did the second 45 minutes.

He looked lost against Newcastle, left gaps all over the midfield, didn't do anything of any great substance going forward and certainly did nothing defensively - I must add, this is based on only seeing the first 25 mins of the Newcastle match, once I knew the score the recording was quickly deleted off the planner, but I can't imagine his performance picking up greatly being as we went on to lose 6-0.

RV - are a poor team, I'd probably equate them to Bolton? Maybe Blackburn if on a bad day? We looked poor as a team, little cutting edge. Ireland did nothing to create space for himself, got bogged down and invariably ended up playing backwards or sideways, except for a great burst down the inside left channel which resulted in him being tackled.

Granted it's only two games but my impression, from those two games is that he's been shit and has looked like a headless chicken.

Oh, the Newcastle game. Yeah, I agree. Ireland was the only player who played poorly in that one.

Surprising really that he played so poorly in that one, considering he hasn't played a full 90 minutes in the PL for well over a year. And Ireland played very well in the first half against Vienna. Some lovely balls and there are definite glimpses of quality. There is a real crispness to his passing that has been long missing from our team.

Granted he was lost in the second half.

I take it you missed the first 45 minutes of the Vienna match then.

No, I sat through it, in the rain just as I did the second 45 minutes.

:lol:

You should sit in Upper the Holte, we just spend every match watching other people getting rained on!

Surprising really that he played so poorly in that one, considering he hasn't played a full 90 minutes in the PL for well over a year. And Ireland played very well in the first half against Vienna. Some lovely balls and there are definite glimpses of quality. There is a real crispness to his passing that has been long missing from our team.

I said this on the previous page, a weeks training with his new team mates, lack of match fitness and his 1st 90 minutes in over a year!?!?

There really really is just no pleasing some people!! Im sure if we magically landed Mourinho and he brought Ronaldo with him some on here would still find reason to moan!!!