Stephen Ireland

Richard

As the guy above said, sell him as he comes good?????? It would cost over £25 million to get a guy of his quality and we paid £8m. Who cares if he gets £60k a week.

There are some funny thinking people on here.

It would cost over £25 million to replace him???? Most £25 million players wouldn’t have been crap for a whole; you pay that much because you know you get consistency as well as brilliance. You get players who win games on a regular basis. Ireland has shown some form for three or four games, and suddenly he’s shot up in value? No club would offer us more than £8 million because he’s so inconsistent with a troubled mind, plus he’s wage demands are probably insane.

If you had £25 million, who would you buy Ireland, Young, Downing, Barry or Milner?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most £25 million players wouldn’t have been crap for a whole; you pay that much because you know you get consistency as well as brilliance. You get players who win games on a regular basis.

Chelsea and Liverpool fans disagree :winkold:

Most £25 million players wouldn’t have been crap for a whole; you pay that much because you know you get consistency as well as brilliance. You get players who win games on a regular basis.

Chelsea and Liverpool fans disagree :winkold:

As the guy above said, sell him as he comes good?????? It would cost over £25 million to get a guy of his quality and we paid £8m. Who cares if he gets £60k a week.

It would cost over £25 million to replace him???? Most £25 million players wouldn’t have been crap for a whole; you pay that much because you know you get consistency as well as brilliance. You get players who win games on a regular basis. Ireland has shown some form for three or four games, and suddenly he’s shot up in value? No club would offer us more than £8 million because he’s so inconsistent with a troubled mind, plus he’s wage demands are probably insane.

If you had £25 million, who would you buy Ireland, Young, Downing, Barry or Milner?

Whilst I agree with the main point I'd much rather have Ireland than Downing. He's exactly the kind of player we've missed in the centre of the park.

Just my view, I'm sure many will disagree.

He hasn't yet performed on a regular basis for me to actually want to keep him. Bannan could fill Ireland's role in the team adequately enough. We badly need a quality defensive midfielder to protect our back four and thats where i'd spend the money from Ireland's transfer. Also, we haven't a chance in hell of recouping the 8m for him so we should be a tad more realistic about his current value which i believe should be in the region of 5-6m.

Ireland strikes me that he will not be consistent in this period of half decent form. I fully expect him to slide back to direness soon.

So for me while his stock is as high as it has been in the last 2 years and we have some chance of recouping at least half of his value when we bought him I would flog him to QPR if they are indeed interested in him

What a surprising comment, I would never have had you down as being negative.

I also remember you chastising me for saying he was an appalling signing at the time of his purchase and now that he's finally showing signs of recovery you want rid as he will soon be shit again......your pessimism and hypocrisy know no bounds mate, they really don't.

Two things.

Firstly I think your post is entirely a post on poster which is frowned upon so you might want to refrain from that.

Secondly on the actual opinion you have there, in fact it is incorrect. If you recall accurately then when we signed this bloke I actually labelled him as a rich man's Lee Hendrie (and got criticised by those on here for doing so). Given that I "chastisied you" do you want to show me the actual quote where I chastised you ? You see even if you go to the first post of this thread you will see that I have said I had criticised the player but thought he had a decent spell in a game.

I just think that he is indeed a rich man's Lee Hendrie who's stock does have a habit of being over inflated. I thought we would struggle to get anything like 2M for him if we sold him and I think that we should capitalise on the fact that his stock is higher again as sure as eggs is eggs he will drift back to not being that good at some point.

I'd be sad to see Ireland go

a few good performances yeah however if we get a bid in from QPR we should sell imo.

They were more than a few good performances. He was a different class in the 2nd half of the Everton. He showed signs that he could become a Villa legend if he continues that form and we put 1 or 2 other players around him who can think and play somewhere near his level. Still perhaps we'd better sell him eh. I mean we dont want to be proved wrong do we.

Selling SI would be mad at this point, IMO. We would not get a great deal for him either. I would rather we kept him and built the team around him.

If we need to sell to buy I would sacrifice Darren Bent. Not that I don't like him BUT the £20m+ we could get for Bent could buy us a decent striker to compete/cover Gabby and a good DCM and wide option.

It would cost over £25 million to replace him???? Most £25 million players wouldn’t have been crap for a whole; you pay that much because you know you get consistency as well as brilliance.

Ireland didn't perform for us because he didn't want to be here. The transfer was forced on him. Yes that isn't a great excuse but hell we've seen players like Torres and Carroll play worse for about just as long and they chose to move..

Ireland is finally starting to come good and given we paid £18 million rising to £24 million on Bent who isn't amazing right now. I'd say Ireland is a £25 million player and if not now, will be if he keeps these performances up.. Ireland is a match winner, he's just got an uphill struggle in a side that seem motivated to concede as many goals as they can..

His vision and passing IMO is up there with the very best in the league. We should keep him at all costs, regardless of his poor start at the villa.

As many have said it's a no-nonsense DCM that we are crying out for, with this player in place it gives the greenlight for ireland to float about up top and do what he does best.

I'd say Ireland is a £25 million player and if not now, will be if he keeps these performances up.. Ireland is a match winner, he's just got an uphill struggle in a side that seem motivated to concede as many goals as they can..

If a club comes in with an offer would you only accept it if it was £25 million :shock:

I'd say Ireland is a £25 million player and if not now, will be if he keeps these performances up.. Ireland is a match winner, he's just got an uphill struggle in a side that seem motivated to concede as many goals as they can..

If a club comes in with an offer would you only accept it if it was £25 million :shock:

No.. £18 million would probably be as low as I'd go. There would hopefully be some negotiation in the matter though.

Problem with playing Ireland is you need a VERY good defensive midfielder. Which we currently do not possess.

Playing Petrov in the deep role again.. MAY work again some teams.. otherwise you need 3 in the midfield... therefore no 442.

Problem with playing Ireland is you need a VERY good defensive midfielder. Which we currently do not possess.

Playing Petrov in the deep role again.. MAY work again some teams.. otherwise you need 3 in the midfield... therefore no 442.

back to 4-5-1/4-3-3 then. Clark will sit with Petrov giving ireland freedom to roam and brake from deep. Gabby on one side and NZog/Albrighton on the other. I don't think Mcleish likes that formation though as he doesn't seem to use it. But if teh personnel are there you have to play to their strengths.

His vision and passing IMO is up there with the very best in the league. We should keep him at all costs, regardless of his poor start at the villa.

As many have said it's a no-nonsense DCM that we are crying out for, with this player in place it gives the greenlight for ireland to float about up top and do what he does best.

This. He's possibly the only player we have at present that has the ability to do something out of the ordinary. Yes he has been poor in the past but maybe some of that was down to how he was managed. Leaving City was a massive issue for him so maybe he's finally come to terms with that.

I'm not excusing the poor start to his Villa career, but i don't think it is purely down to his attitude.

At least when his name is on the team sheet I have some hope that we may see some creativity during the game. Sadly the same can't be said about the rest of his team mates under the current management and style of play.

I think Ireland gets too much of a rough deal on here, i find it staggering that people deny that he has the capability to be out best player by a country mile.

Does Ireland have it in his locker to be a £25m player? The simple answer is yes.

OK then, Samir Nasri or Stephen Ireland on this seasons form?