Stephen Ireland

Richard

Absolutely not, in my opinion.

He just doesn't know what he's doing in that position. He needs a free role and one man doing two jobs just isn't going to work unless you have Stamina McBeastly-Pace in the DM role.

That was my point.. with a huge, battling, energetic DM he could play in a central 2.

The only person I can think of in the world who I would play him with in a 4-4-2 would be Essien and even then, I'd much prefer to play him in a 5. I just think it's a waste of what he can offer us.

-------------------- Friedel --------------------

L Young --- Collins ----- Dunne ---- Warnock

---------- Ireland ----------- DM ---------------

Albrighton ------- A Young ----------- Downing

---------------- Gabby/ Heskey -----------------

My point is.... If this formation was possible then it would be brilliant when clicking properly.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely not, in my opinion.

He just doesn't know what he's doing in that position. He needs a free role and one man doing two jobs just isn't going to work unless you have Stamina McBeastly-Pace in the DM role.

That was my point.. with a huge, battling, energetic DM he could play in a central 2.

Don't understand why people are so keen to get us playing with a 2? We are the only Top 8 club from last season playing this as even Redknob now is playing with a sole striker with VdV off him.

You've lost me...

I don't mean play a 4-4-2.

The reason I'd like to see Ireland in a central midfield 2 is so that we could play Downing on the left wing, Ash behind a striker and Albrighton on the right wing.

As it is, we have 4 options for 3 positions (Ash, Downing, Ireland and Albrighton) and as I think they're all great players deserving a place in our squad!

(Obviously Albrighton is still young so this would add to our rotation options, but ideally I'd like all 4 to be in our starting 11)

Essentially you're talking there about a 4-4-1-1 I think though, so your still, in my mind, a man down in CM as I don't think Ash, playing as the one of the striker, makes us solid enough when we are playing the better sides. I also personally prefer to see him out wide, BUT with a licence to come inside and play of Gabby/Heskey so we are not as rigid with our two wide players.

For me, our ideal formation (front 6) is:

---------------- NRC ---------------------

---------------------- Delph ------------- Stan until he is fit

------------ SI ---------------------------

DJ ----------------------------------- Ash

--------------- Gab/Heskey -------------

But, as said above, I'd like to see DJ and Ash come inside a bit more than the last couple of years and leave room for Warnock and Young to overlap, knowing that there are two sitting CM'ers to cover the CB's.

He played for 80 minutes in his favoured position, for the first time this season and after only playing a smattering of games through injury, against the best side in the country and you’re chastising him for not being excellent straight away?

Oh I see, I hadn't realised we should not include all his performances prior to Saturday as they weren't exactly where he wanted to play, despite the fact that he's a midfielder and to his horror had been asked to play in midfield.

Oh I see, I hadn't realised we should not include all his performances prior to Saturday as they weren't exactly where he wanted to play, despite the fact that he's a midfielder and to his horror had been asked to play in midfield.

Nice tone :thumb: And by 'all' you do mean twice and a ten minute cameo. He hasn't exactly stunk the place out yet has he? When people say 'give him time', what they actually mean is let him play a run of games. In the 3 months he has been here he has played 3 games each a good distance apart. He played well against Chelsea too fwiw.

He played for 80 minutes in his favoured position, for the first time this season and after only playing a smattering of games through injury, against the best side in the country and you’re chastising him for not being excellent straight away?

Have you ever seen Frank Lampard play in a 2 man CM (not done it that many times for Chelski but obviously has tried to play there for England)? He is not half the player he is in a three when he is given the freedom to roam and get himself into goal scoring positions. Frank in a 2 man CM is poor but I don't hear Chelski fans suggesting that he should leave?

I think if Huddlestone and Modric can play in a central two, then Ireland and a DM of at least Huddlestone's quality can play there too.

Ireland will be able to play there once we learn to use the ball better.

The problem is still in any game Villa play, we don't have enough of the ball, half of our play is on the back foot, sitting back letting opposition have the ball even against teams worse than us.

Whereas Tottenham are regularly on the front foot and do more attacking than defending. Until we learn to be able to keep possesion and dominate teams then we can't have that luxury.

It is a selection dilemma. The only reason Ireland played was because Albrighton was ill, so Young reverted to the wing. Ordinarily you couldn't play Ireland and Young in the hole unless they were 2 of a 3 man strikeforce behind a target man and, frankly, I don't think our midfield is dominant enough to donate 2 players to the strikers' cause. If you accept, as has been shown so far, that Albrighton is first choice and that Ireland can not play a typical central role in a 4 man midfield then it will have to be the rotation that Houllier has alluded to as being Ireland's main route into the side. But then that in it's very nature isn't conducive to what I would call 'regular' appearances.

From what I've seen of Albrighton he fades from the game quite badly in the second half so think there's a case of having him as an impact sub. That and he's young so will need resting.

It is a selection dilemma. The only reason Ireland played was because Albrighton was ill, so Young reverted to the wing. Ordinarily you couldn't play Ireland and Young in the hole unless they were 2 of a 3 man strikeforce behind a target man and, frankly, I don't think our midfield is dominant enough to donate 2 players to the strikers' cause. If you accept, as has been shown so far, that Albrighton is first choice and that Ireland can not play a typical central role in a 4 man midfield then it will have to be the rotation that Houllier has alluded to as being Ireland's main route into the side. But then that in it's very nature isn't conducive to what I would call 'regular' appearances.

From what I've seen of Albrighton he fades from the game quite badly in the second half so think there's a case of having him as an impact sub. That and he's young so will need resting.

Id rather start him and bring him off after he's hopefully done his stuff!

He's not a central midfielder, so it would be as much use as barracking Cuellar for being a meadiocre full back.

ASTON Villa's Stephen Ireland is determined to keep up his fine track record against Sunderland this afternoon.

The midfielder has performed well at the Stadium of Light over recent years and he hopes his good fortunes will continue today.

The cheeky 24-year-old’s most publicised appearance against the Black Cats came away from the north east, however.

It was when he was plying his trade for Manchester City and he revealed a pair of Superman trunks after scoring his side’s winning goal in 2007/2008.

He followed up his fond memories with another goal on his last appearance at the Stadium of Light in City’s comfortable 3-0 win two seasons ago.

Ireland is hoping his past success will prove to be a good omen when Villa and Sunderland go head-to-head this afternoon.

“Last time I played there I scored and did quite well,” said the former Republic of Ireland international.

“It is a good place to go but it is a hard place to go and I think we are all up for the challenge.

“I’d be happy to score anywhere.

“I need to get off the mark and start scoring and finding my touch but it is coming.”

Sunderland have been tough to beat this season despite a stuttering start to the season.

After giving away a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 with Blues on the opening day of the season, and losing to new-boys Albion, Sunderland have pulled off some impressive results, including home draws against the top clubs.

Ireland knows they will provide a stern test but he is ready to go and raring for the challenge.

“We drew against the champions and I think now we have to start picking up points,’’ he said.

“Sunderland are a good side and are good at home. But we want to start picking up points to move up the table.

“They have done really well. They had a good result against Manchester United recently and I think they are a good team.

“But I think we can match them and out-battle them because I think we’ve got a hungry group here and I hope we’ll do well.”

http://tinyurl.com/39avhkv

Haven't been able to watch much of Villa this season. How is Ireland adapting?

Hasn't bought anything special yet, had a couple of games where he has shown the ability but nothing out the ordinary... quite saddened by it to be honest but its still early days i guess.

Haven't been able to watch much of Villa this season. How is Ireland adapting?

Played out of position early on, so can't hold ineffectiveness then against him. In his proper position, showed glimpses of quality last week, but was fairly useless today.

Mates, problem always has been getting him motivated. He's always had the class, but he reminds me a bit of Adebayor mentally. Swore he bled blue for City, somehow he didn't show this mentality on the pitch.

Would be nice if Houllier lit a fire under him.

Mates, problem always has been getting him motivated. He's always had the class, but he reminds me a bit of Adebayor mentally. Swore he bled blue for City, somehow he didn't show this mentality on the pitch.

Would be nice if Houllier lit a fire under him.

It would be even nicer if we could have James Milner back. :(