Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

So as I'm (hopefully) soon to live a little further away from work than my current 5 minute walk, I signed up to Cycle2Work. Off to Halfords later to pick up this;

1311796372902-1f0ppjxozzr5r-670-75.jpg

Just wanted something half-decent to get me to work and back, hoping it'll help shave off a bit of the belly too. Been a fair few years since I've been riding regularly, looking forward to getting back on the saddle.

GarethRDR - have you ordered it yet ? Just make sure that they don't sell you something too big - shops have a habit of doing this. The smaller the frame size the better really - unless you are still growing ! It is lighter and gives you more flexibility with saddle height etc.

There was a recent article I read somewhere saying that Halfords Customer Service was rather poor so just be cautious.

Nice bike though !

PS - have you got to go to Halfords ?

hoping it'll help shave off a bit of the belly too. Been a fair few years since I've been riding regularly

You probably haven't even seen him for a few years.

GarethRDR - have you ordered it yet ? Just make sure that they don't sell you something too big - shops have a habit of doing this. The smaller the frame size the better really - unless you are still growing ! It is lighter and gives you more flexibility with saddle height etc.

There was a recent article I read somewhere saying that Halfords Customer Service was rather poor so just be cautious.

Nice bike though !

PS - have you got to go to Halfords ?

Just picked it up. I'd reserved it all online beforehand and sized it up properly (one of the lads in the office is crazy mad on cycling, so I got him to help out where needed) myself so there was no opportunity for salesmanship. Has to be through Halfords, that's who the scheme is run with. It's salary sacrifice, but I get the bike and accessories tax free and spread over 12 months so I'm saving some cash. It's a good scheme.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up the bike from its annual service. I do most maintenance myself, though I pay for an annual 5000 miler to replace the cassette, chain and anything else I can't get at with an adjustable spanner and alan keys.

Lots of wear this year - £180 from my local indie store, but the pricing was transparent and they've done a good job, it's like new. Used Evans last year. Same money but they lost my bike, and the bloke told me my front wheel was about to collapse - supposedly because brakes had worn through the metal rims, utter horseshit.

Cycled to Highgate and back from Streatham to run it in. The new brakes screech like a stuka mid dive. I actually really like this for urban cycling, it lets everyone know that you're there.

Coming back through the West End they'd set up crush barrier for an event - I'd cycled into nude bike day. If it's on telly look out for a Brazilian looking girl painted green.

:lol:

, and the bloke told me my front wheel was about to collapse - supposedly because brakes had worn through the metal rims, utter horseshit. :lol:

Well it can happen but only happened to me once on my 'winter bike' so it took a fair bit of punishment.

Are they Mavic rims ? Disc or caliper brakes?

Same money but they lost my bike, and the bloke told me my front wheel was about to collapse - supposedly because brakes had worn through the metal rims, utter horseshit.

My rims have got wear indicators:

rim.jpg

I did 300 miles in two weeks on my Cannondale up to Monday but there weather has been unrelentingly gash in Devon this week.

Coming back through the West End they'd set up crush barrier for an event - I'd cycled into nude bike day. If it's on telly look out for a Brazilian looking girl painted green.

:lol:

Not how I pictured you, Dave. :P

Ah just the thread I was looking for.... you can always depend on VT/OT.

I'm looking to take up cycling following snapping my achilles (fully recovered) and no longer playing football and I'm looking for a good starter bike. Something that isn't too expensive but at the same time isn't too basic (shit) so that I'm going to want to replace it in 6 months.

Anyone got any suggestions...

Are they Mavic rims ? Disc or caliper brakes?

Duh, hang on... Alex ACE-17 Double Wall. Caliper.

He told me that when the £425 bike was 6 months old. It's done another 5000 miles since.

Not how I pictured you, Dave. :P

Sometimes I like it.

:D

I'm after a road bike, as for budget I'm obviously not looking to buy top spec but I don't want budget either I want something decent and that I'm going to like and enjoy. I don't really know what that will cost me but I guess I'd be happy to spend in the region of £500-£800 at a max.

I'm based in Nottingham, so a bit flat around here unfortunately.

I'm after a road bike, as for budget I'm obviously not looking to buy top spec but I don't want budget either I want something decent and that I'm going to like and enjoy. I don't really know what that will cost me but I guess I'd be happy to spend in the region of £500-£800 at a max.

I have been really into running for the last few years, but i bought a bike a few months ago after not having one for over 10 years, I must be doing at least 50 miles a week on it. Might knock the running on the head altogether, cycling seems to be a muchmore enjoyable way to keep fit.

Instead of 40 minute runs which drain my legs, batter my feet and bore me to death, my ticker gets a 2 hour workout which i enjoy. Its also a great form of transport.

What a genius invention it is.

Excellent Valhalla ! Cycling is non-weightbearing ,as you probably know, so not easier than running but better on the joints etc.

Trent - am in thought mode so will let you know. There is an Evans in Notts I think and they can be competitive but it can depend on how knowledgeable the sales person is. Biggest problem (IMO) is a shop will sell you what they have in as opposed to what is right for you- particularly re. frame size. Don't forget that saddle height can be adjusted easily but with todays 'a-head' steerers (the new word for stem!) there is not so much latitude for adjustment.

Don' know Notts very well - only pass through it to race near Tuxford or Newark. (and went to Notts Co. to see Villa win promtion from old Third Div. !! 3 - 0)

A budget of £500 to £800 should get you a good entry level road bike in any of the big brands, "Specialized", "Fuji", "Boardman" etc

I have a similar model to this one and it has served me well, I use it almost every day for commuting and have taken it on some long distance rides as well.

You should look at getting it through a "ride to work" scheme so it is tax free. Most workplaces offer the scheme.

Excellent Valhalla ! Cycling is non-weightbearing ,as you probably know, so not easier than running but better on the joints etc.

It is ‘better’ on the joints, but removing weight bearing exercise is not necessarily always better. Also the highly repetitive nature of cycling is equally bad in different ways on say the knee. Of course one has the factors of poorly fitting shoes/poorly fitting bikes that make both activities injury ‘friendly’.

The reality is that for all round fitness its going to be a mix; a bit of cycling, a bit of running, a bit of swimming and some circuit training!

As for a bike TV, look at the second hand market, and also budget for the other stuff you will end up needing (or rathe make cycling enjoyable); footwear, shorts, etc.

And if you are in flat Nottinghamshire, you definitely don’t need a triple chainring!

I don't need all the gears either but I bought the bike second hand in new condition from a friend so was pretty happy with it.

If I was going to buy new from a shop I would actually go for a single speed like this one from Fuji.

Super low maintenance with no gears to worry about. My previous bike was single speed with a fixed gear and I loved it until it was stolen :(

The reality is that for all round fitness its going to be a mix; a bit of cycling, a bit of running, a bit of swimming and some circuit training!

You are right sir, i still do a couple of 40 minute runs every week, its just good to have the bike and mix it up a bit as i was getting bored of running.

The great thing about cycling is i don`t have to take any time out of my day to exercise unlike running.

I can cycle to work and the shops or whatever and it kills two birds with one stone.

This looks like a pretty good deal.

Personally I would go for something with a carbon fork. I've been riding one of these for the last 11 months and I absolutely swear by it.

The cyclocross bike (as an alternative to a road bike) is slightly more rigid than a regular road bike, and the higher profile tyres reduce the risk of pinch punctures and allow a slight bit more range in terrain. Also the Shimano 105 set is just cracking...

Â