Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

Hi All,

What tracking apps does every one use. I've been trying a variety of the last couple of months. Started just with mytracks, used a couple like mapmyride and endomondo but havent found a favourite. I've seen someone says Strava, i've never used this. What do people think?

Strava is an awesome website IMO. I had it suggested to me by a workmate - I've only got my bike back in Dec. last year, and I'm a million miles away from competing with any of the segment times up there - but I love the collation of stats and all the pretty graphs you get.

You can upload your activities (whether rides, cycles, walks or whatever) either using their IOS/Android application, or from a suitable GPS device. I did a cycle tour with the Scouts last month about Holland - so to be able to see everywhere I went was pretty awesome. Being able to follow other people and see what they're up to is pretty handy as well (since my Dad did a a week stay in Les Gets, it was pretty incredible to see some of the climbs he's done out there).

Having seen the Garmin's web offering as well, Strava also has the benefit of allowing you to manually set "privacy" zones - which hide the start/end points of a ride if they're within ~500m of this zone - whereas I've seen the Garmin site just white out a block of the map at the start/end.

I've just joined British Cycling with the aim of doing a few more sportives.. !

Ah - you've joined BC - have you got the level (Silver is it ?) that gives you 3rd party insurance ? Always worth having IMO.

I've just joined British Cycling with the aim of doing a few more sportives.. !

Ah - you've joined BC - have you got the level (Silver is it ?) that gives you 3rd party insurance ? Always worth having IMO.

I've got the 'Ride' membership.. you get third party liability insurance.

• 2 months later...

So since the last time I was on here, I got knocked off my bike cycling home. Nothing too serious thankfully, but my bike was a write off. I was so pleased to have insurance - even though I didn't have to resort to it (the driver has paid up.. not sure he had insurance!), just having the protection meant I could make sure I got what I wanted.

Anyway, I now need a new bike. My old machine was an entry level aluminium frame road bike and I now want to step it up a bit. Is it better though to get a good aluminium frame or entry level carbon frame? My budget is about a grand and at the moment I am veering towards the latter...

So since the last time I was on here, I got knocked off my bike cycling home. Nothing too serious thankfully, but my bike was a write off. I was so pleased to have insurance - even though I didn't have to resort to it (the driver has paid up.. not sure he had insurance!), just having the protection meant I could make sure I got what I wanted.

Anyway, I now need a new bike. My old machine was an entry level aluminium frame road bike and I now want to step it up a bit. Is it better though to get a good aluminium frame or entry level carbon frame? My budget is about a grand and at the moment I am veering towards the latter...

Carbon.

Ribble \ Planet X

No more effing cycling for me for quite a while. Came off on black ice last Sunday and broke my hip bone !!!!

That must have been nasty. To break your hip bone takes some doing. Best of luck with your recovery!

I haven't been on a bike since I got knocked off last month - part of me is a bit fearful about getting back in the saddle..

No more effing cycling for me for quite a while. Came off on black ice last Sunday and broke my hip bone !!!!

Sad to hear.

As for Ribble carbon; good value, but would check the weight of these, they are pretty heavy. Would look at some of the Boardman bikes, loved by the mighty Robo ex-of these parish.

I would also look at ebay, and think of getting a decent Steel bike if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned (or I ve missed it). Lance Armstrong is being interviewed by Oprah Winfrey, in which he will are led to believe confess to doping. I think its been streamed live on Monday...

I hope the **** can apologise and offer compensation to all those people’s lives he’s ruined...

Not to mention all those riders that were castigated for having the audacity of speaking out against doping during his cycling career. It's going to be interesting to see what he'll admit to though.

Though I did see a ride of his up on Strava last week - with a fair few sycophantic comments of "you're still my hero" up there - so it'll be interesting whether the man on the street will really change their opinion on Lance.

I wonder if they'll try and spin it to fit the "well everyone was doping, so it was a level playing field" fallacy. Also will be intriguing whether he mentions he never failed the 250/500/1000/1 million doping tests he was subject to.

Nicole Cooke has just retired. If she was a man, she would have won sports personality of the year. Great great athlete.

Fantastic retirement statement also. No holds barred, well worth a read.

Â