Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

Given that Oranges have decent mud clearance at the rear, then a rigid fork, (oranges own f8?) and possibly a set of more suitable wheels and front chain rings if gearings the issue, might just do it.

You might be able ot go up to 650b size wheel, but don't take my advise, pop into a cycle shop.

TBH, If your cycling on road, then a cyclocross bike is still going to be a touch heavy and cumbersome.

On paper a cyclocross bike seems to tick everyones boxes ie its a off road racing bike, or an on road mountain bike. You might find the benefits are not significant enough and its too compromised for what you want? Essentially they seem to promsie more than they can deliver. If you got road bike gearing, off road is always going to be harder work. If you want hard skinny ryres for the road, are knobbly fat cyclo tyres going to work?

You might be better reconciling self to 2 bikes, a road and an mtb, or possibly spending the money on the mtb to make it more "dual function". And tbh, despite being a taiwanese frame, the Orange is well enough designed and built to be worth chainging parts around on. I nearly got one once, but I prefer the feel of a steel frame, and got the P7 instead. The p7 was a little less upright than the Gringo g/series bikes.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't find a Kona 'Jake the Snake' anywhere for less than £1100. I'm therefore going for a Cannondale CAADX 105. Got the test ride Tuesday or Wednesday this week with a view to keeping it as soon as the Cyclescheme voucher comes through.

The Orange has got FUNN hydraulic discs on it which need bleeding. Typical, North Devon's four bike shops have not got the facility to do it and I now have a Giant brake on the back...

• 3 weeks later...

Just a plug for a mate who has opened a bike shop in Tamworth.

2 Wheels Only - Lower Gungate in Tamworth. Ask for Martin (former schoolboy road race champion and Commonwealth Games track sprinter).

He is also a BIG Villa fan -so, if you live in the Tamworth area, mention that you saw it on here and he should sort you out. Repairs, road bikes mountain bikes and bits. Much better than Halfords !

Good question. As my bike is worth more than my car, I put it in the car and wife on the roof !

All pro teams use roof carriers but that is for quick changes in a race situation. Roof can affect petrol consumption and (if you are as daft as me which you probably are not) it is possible to forget the bike is there when you go under a barrier over a carpark or something .

I think that there are a fair few rear mounted carriers these days but think the police can be a bit sniffy if the number plate is obscured.

I realise that doesnt really answer your question but perhaps just something to consider. Some manufacturers do a specific carrier for vehicles in their range; you could look into that .

Im currently riding a "Charge-Plug on a fixed gear. Wasnt too keen on fixies at first but now im hooked on it.

Only use it to cycle to work n the gym so clock up about 40miles a week.

Low in maintenance and very quick

• 7 months later...

Recently moved back to Birmingham from London, looking for some good road courses to do.

Living in HallGreen so planning on HG to Stratford which is about 20 miles each way, train goes from Stratford to HG if i get too nackered :D

Recently moved back to Birmingham from London, looking for some good road courses to do.

Living in HallGreen so planning on HG to Stratford which is about 20 miles each way, train goes from Stratford to HG if i get too nackered :D

Not really my side of town so can't help but 40 miles would be good distance. Don't know if the old A34 (now A3400 ?) is quiet these days. Will you be doing it on that fixie thing :D and if so what gear ?

Nope got rid of the fixie, was only worth it for my london commute where it flat and didnt cost me anything in maintenance.

Got a racer now, was thinking of cycling the canal route to Stratford but have read that its unsuited for road bikes in places

• 1 month later...

Just bought my first 'proper' bike. A boardman HT Pro for a bargain £800 after quidco and 10% off code. Only had a short ride so far but feels a hell of a lot smoother than my spec hardrock sport.

Had a slight teething problem as he first one was dented but Halfords replaced it.

Can't wait to hit the trails, mainly Cannock and Nant Yr Arian. Anyone got any other recommendations for a relative newbie?

Just had a look at your Boardman stubbo - that is a nice bit of kit ! Good to see it's hardtail - unless you are doing serious downhill, I dont' see the need for full sus - extra weight and 'summat else to go wrong.

The only thing I would watch is the saddle; some O/E kit can be a bit iffy - not saying it is but just can be. So if you do find it uncomfortable go for Selle Italia (from proper bike shop or mail order). If you have Conti tyres I reckon they are really good. The Chase frightens me witless when younger (that's most people) come belting past me - but great fun !

Just had a look at your Boardman stubbo - that is a nice bit of kit ! Good to see it's hardtail - unless you are doing serious downhill, I dont' see the need for full sus - extra weight and 'summat else to go wrong.

The only thing I would watch is the saddle; some O/E kit can be a bit iffy - not saying it is but just can be. So if you do find it uncomfortable go for Selle Italia (from proper bike shop or mail order). If you have Conti tyres I reckon they are really good. The Chase frightens me witless when younger (that's most people) come belting past me - but great fun !

Agreed, looks a nice bike!

I go up the chase 2 to 3 times a week, trying to get my fitness up so just doing the dog at present but will be back on the monkey trail soon.

Cheers guys.

After spending weeks debating the Boardman looked to be the best vfm. I did think about a full suss but for my budget I would have been getting a much lower spec than the HT.

Saddle seems ok at the minute but I've only done a few miles on it so will see how I get on, I have just bought some Endura Humvee shorts with padded liner so they should help a bit.

I'm like you B6, trying to get my fitness/ confidence up before I tackle anything bigger. Will also attempt cycling the 10 miles or so to work as it is a nice run up the canal alongside the a38.

Been doing the Verderer's trail in the Forest of Dean a lot lately. I know this is probably a bit far off for most people, but if you ever get the chance, it's well worth doing. Rated as one of the best new trails in the country fwiw.

Will also attempt cycling the 10 miles or so to work as it is a nice run up the canal alongside the a38.

Do you mean near Alrewas ?

Yes, I live in Fradley and work in Burton.

Â