Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

In answer to dodgyknees question in the "Running" thread; it really does depend on the course and the weather i.e not blowing an effing gale !

On a race bike as opposed to ATB 12 to 13 minutes would be good.

5 miles isnt a usual time trial distance so a bit difficult to say but club riders would be looking to do 10 to 11 mins I reckon.

• 2 months later...

Just dug up a random cycling thread because didnt want to add to the other 3 billion currently on the forum

Thinking about commuting too and from work looking for a bike have a budget up to 300 - 350 quid want a beginners bike thats lightweight and preferably without those rediculous ultra thin wheels i find it hard enough to stay on one with standard wheels

Looking for a decent make as well and one that will last

AshVilla - really suggest that you look at second hand. Cyclists, particularly mtb'ers, are terrible fashion victims and swap really good machines quite regularly. So it appears that you dont want a road bike so hybrid or mtb I guess. Have no experience of hybrids so cant comment but if you go for an mtb, would suggest you go hardtail (no rear suspension) and even wouldnt worry about disc brakes (heavier and more to go wrong) Would suggest main thing is not to get a frame that is too big - a common mistake as shops seem to have no effin idea and will sell you what they have in and tell you it is perfect. You can get some bargains from discount places but they can be pretty heavy and with poor quality group-sets.

Hope that helps.

Thinking about commuting too and from work

Who do you work for? If its someone biggish, they might have a "cycle to work" scheme - see my earlier post, elected for this benefit at work, 3 years ago, and for the cost of £12.33ish a month, over 3 years, I had £600 to spend on a bike. I bought a Bianchi road bike. Firstly, the vat is taken off, and any other taxes. This brought the cost down to about £440 ish, and then the deductions were taken gross from my salary, ie they were not taxed - ie for every £12 I spent on the bike, the govt were not taking ni or paye from me, meaninf if you were going to buy a bike anyway, it was like being given an extra £5 towards it monthly by HMRC. As it was a salary deduction, it was therefore to me, like an interest free loan over 3 years.

So I think it actually cost, after everything, about £336ish to get a £600 bike. And as bike prices have risen and its in good nick, its probably still worth that now.

• 1 month later...

Well the vultures are circling for Lance Armstrong; Landis, Hamilton and now (his mate !) Hincapie sticking the knife in. Could be bad for World cycle racing - but at least the French will probably be happy :)

I've no idea if he was a 'charger' but he did alter his body shape after his recovery from cancer. The only other person I have seen do that so dramatically was Canadian runner Ben Johson- but he gained mass whilst Armstrong lost it. I know there are cycling fans on here - any thoughts ?

My thoughts are that as "most" others were at it and he was still beating them with relative ease (eg Ullrich) then he was definitely at it. He came back from the cancer thing a transformed rider. He was then untouchable for several years, riding for a "dodgy" team, with a dodgy doc.

Now several ex teammamtes have come out and named him.

IMHO, he had to be on it. I'd be shocked if he wasn't. I can barely think of a clean winner of the yellow in the last 15 years ...

I'd agree with that assessment, Jon. I can't imagine anyone clean beating a juiced up Pantani. American sport at the time (see Athletics and Baseball) was rife with doping on a grand scale, so it would not be something out of the ordinary

Hincapie alledgedly sticking the boot in, for me, is the last nail in the coffin

Cycled 17.5 miles Friday after work, 39.5 yesterday from Barnstaple to Exeter and I'm hoping for possibly 56 miles today - Barnstaple to Meeth and back. Not a bad weekend's cycling, that...

Respect for that ^^^. Isnt it quite 'lumpy around there ? Road bike or mtb ?

34 miles Friday after work then 50 yesterday; hoped to do another 50 today but legs ache plus blowing a gale so wimped out :(

I'm 6'3" and riding a 19" Orange MTB. Just waiting for the company to start the cycle scheme in the next couple of weeks and a hybrid shall be coming my way.

Friday

Saturday

Haven't plotted today's ride yet. I'll track it with Runkeeper when I go out...

I'd agree with that assessment, Jon. I can't imagine anyone clean beating a juiced up Pantani. American sport at the time (see Athletics and Baseball) was rife with doping on a grand scale, so it would not be something out of the ordinary

Hincapie alledgedly sticking the boot in, for me, is the last nail in the coffin

I am not sure Hincapie is sticking the boot in, if he is; I understand that he was giving evidence to the Food and Drug Administration authority. He probably felt he had to say what had happened, to avoid perjuring himself as the case revolves around federal fraud which is pretty serious

I am not sure Hincapie is sticking the boot in, if he is; I understand that he was giving evidence to the Food and Drug Administration authority. He probably felt he had to say what had happened, to avoid perjuring himself as the case revolves around federal fraud which is pretty serious

You're right - I didn't mean it to sound like like he was stitching up Armstrong. As it's a Federal Inquiry, he has no choice but to give his evidence honestly.

Well i bought my bike about a month ago now and last week had an email off work for the CTW scheme! Annoying at best!

Anyway, went round sutton park for half an hour today, need to get an app to track my distance, any recommendations for android apps?

Well i bought my bike about a month ago now and last week had an email off work for the CTW scheme! Annoying at best!

Anyway, went round sutton park for half an hour today, need to get an app to track my distance, any recommendations for android apps?

Run Keeper is usually spot on. I use it quite often. :thumb:

Two of my good friends are currently cycling Lands End to John O'Groats to raise money for Cancer Research. Giles has been keeping a blog since he started his adventure with excellent daily posts giving an insight into his adventure. They have made it as far as Fort William this evening.

Read his blog here: http://lejognutter.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

Right, the company have just introduced the "cycle to work" scheme and I'm going to get myself something a bit more roadworthy than my mountain bike (although I've done 80 miles on it so far this weekend and that will be over 100 before the end of the day). I'm thinking of going for a decent cyclo cross bike, and have my eye on the 2011 Kona "Jake the Snake". £1250 for a bike that is a bit more robust than a road bike but more geared up for the distance on the asphalt than my current set up.

I'm also planning on cycling London to Paris before the end of the summer, trying to do it in 4 days...

Â