Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

I know that there are a lot of very knowlegeable people on here when it comes to cycling - and I am feeling particularly crabby as a result of this broken hip and limping round on crutches but ...

Nicole Cooke has not handled herself very well. This is not just my opinion but (amongst others) the bloke who started her off when she was young - an ex International road man from North Staffs ; very well-known and respected in cycling circles. She should have made a fortune with her ability but doesn't seem keen to take advice and seems, shall we say, a tad selfish. I submit the business with Lizzie Armistead to support my point. Bloomin' shame but there are quite a few cyclists who seem to suffer from this sort of malaise. One,from Wolverhampton, should have been an Olympic rider but refused to ride the team sponsers bikes cos they were crap ! So team dropped him and his replacement won Gold in Bejing(sp) . I never suffered from this problem .....as I am hopeless.

I also don't think it was very clever to mention being beaten by 'chargers' - smacks of sour grapes.

I think Lance Armstrong just about wins my prize for most idiotic, smug, lying piece of word removed in sports atm. The guy forced his kid to lie for him, he sued previous team mates for trying to tell the truth about him and now he says on tv that he regrets having come back in tdf 2010, as that's when they caught him. He doesn't regret doping, but regrets being caught. All the people that have given him money should sue him and take every penny he's ever earned back. I can't believe that people wore those wristbands and gave this idiot money.

They should drag him through so much legal cases that he lives the rest of his life on the streets.

Nicole Cooke has not handled herself very well. This is not just my opinion but (amongst others) the bloke who started her off when she was young - an ex International road man from North Staffs ; very well-known and respected in cycling circles. She should have made a fortune with her ability but doesn't seem keen to take advice and seems, shall we say, a tad selfish. I submit the business with Lizzie Armistead to support my point.

Yeah, what was THAT about?

Lizzie A is a bit of a local hero where I live, and when they interviewed her on Look North she refused to discuss the Cooke rivalry.

To be honest Nicole Cooke has never been part of the British Cycling family, in part because she came before the huge upswing in popularity, but also because she's been a loner. I thought she was pretty brutal and honest about drugs, and though it wasn’t what people wanted to hear I found it refreshing. Armistead on the other hand is showing exactly why cycling has a problem. Cycling is still a dirty sport, and when Armistead and Cavendish protest it does the sport and them no favours.

Phil Liggett wants to know how he got away with it? Because of clearings in the woods like him and Graham Watson. Perhaps Phil wants to talk about his investments with Armstrong, and how Sherwen has been involved. Didn’t any of these clowns realise when they rode up those climbs in those times it was a lie. Didn’t they realise when they bullied good people like the the Lemonds, Andreus, Walsh, Kimmage, etc something was up?

But what amazes me is that people want to believe most sport is clean. It certainly isn’t

Who helped Armstrong?

18th January 13

Cycling commentator Phil Liggett would like answers on how it was possible for Lance Armstrong to cheat over several years.

Journalists and commentators turning a blind eye while their popularity surged and their stories got more prominence as Armstrong cheated along might be a good place to start.

To be honest Nicole Cooke has never been part of the British Cycling family, in part because she came before the huge upswing in popularity, but also because she's been a loner. I thought she was pretty brutal and honest about drugs, and though it wasn’t what people wanted to hear I found it refreshing. Armistead on the other hand is showing exactly why cycling has a problem. Cycling is still a dirty sport, and when Armistead and Cavendish protest it does the sport and them no favours.

I'm glad people like Nicole Cooke are so outspoken to counter drugs cheats like Armstrong proclaiming that it was a level playing field because everyone was doing it. The testimony of clean athletes needs to be heard.

Is Lance sorry? No he’s sorry he was caught. He’s sorry he’s lost money.

He isn’t sorry for all the hurt.

Agreed.

I feel rather foolish for having believed him and in him and having him defended him previously when we've discussed the topic.

You were right.

People wanted to believe a dream, because it really was a fantastic dream. Cancer sufferer returns and wins tour de France; who wouldn’t want to believe?

The problem is when something is too good to be true, it generally is. Lance was just that. A born liar, a born bully, a born manipulator, a born cheat. He should never be allowed to compete again.

A big theme of his interview was control - even now he's talking about taking control of his life and his critics and the situation he's in - to the extent that he wants to set the agenda on how he goes forwards - he said something along the lines of he hates looking backwards and this makes him do that which he hates - there's something quite chilling about the way he thinks. If he had the chance to cheat and win the TdF again, I don't doubt he would.

In the autumn of 1993, Greg LeMond and his wife, Kathy, were sitting at home in the suburbs of Minneapolis, when they received a visit from Linda Mooneyham, the three-times Tour de France winner has recalled. Her 21-year-old son, Lance Armstrong, had just become the world champion and she had travelled from her home in Texas for advice.

"What does he do now?" she asked. "What does he do with his money?"

"Well, let him find an agent – a good one with an attorney," LeMond replied. "And one word of advice – just be his mom."

They sat on the porch for a while and then moved inside to the kitchen. Linda had something else on her mind: "How do I make him less of an asshole. He doesn't care about anyone."

"Well," LeMond replied. "I can't help you there."

Â