Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

I'm not a big fan of the Beatles but I can see that they were an important band in the history of music and I like some of their songs in the same way I like some stuff from most bands. But Bruce, to me, is just lowest common denominator stuff. Hats off to him though. He's the Nicklas Bendtner of music :)

I'm not a big fan of the Beatles but I can see that they were an important band in the history of music and I like some of their songs in the same way I like some stuff from most bands. But Bruce, to me, is just lowest common denominator stuff. Hats off to him though. He's the Nicklas Bendtner of music :)

Well, I can see why some may not like him, but I disagree about LCD. His first three or four studio albums - and even more so, live recordings from that era - are absolute gems. Sure, it's bar-room music, but of a decidedly sophisticated bent. Rock'n'roll crossed with Gershwin with a coat of Phil Spector.

I disliked his 80s stuff (Born in the USA, etc.), where the bombast overwhelmed the subtler elements, but then he stripped everything back to Woody Guthrie basics, and did what was basically folk music. That arguably WAS LCD, musically speaking, but the lyrics were like mini movies (I do love a good story song).

As it happens, I don't like his most recent album (Wrecking Ball) at all, but I'm still very much looking forward to seeing the live show next month. Pity there won't be any Clarence Clemons though.

BOF, even stuff like the river? Darkness? Nebraska? I'd hardly call it as the same level as dirge such as cher lloyd, will.i.am, bieber etc.... On the contrary, I'd say some of the stuff on his less commercial albums are some of the best songs ever written.

Edited by Ingram85

I'd struggle to name a Bruce Springsteen song. He did 'Born in the USA' but I don't know if that was the actual title. He did a Christmas song sort of parody? I think he also did the song that goes 'what if god was one of us, just a stranger on a bus.....' but that might have been Bob Dylan. Somebody I'm equally familiar with.

Mentally, I put them in the 'cliche of americana' box in my head and I rarely open that box.

I quite like the Beatles in a vacant pop tunes way, perfectly listenable. If they were a drink they'd be Chardonnay.

You are seriously missing out, Chris.

EDIT: Then again, you are allowed to. Like I'm allowed to miss out on all those HBO TV shows that VT collectively loves so much.

I'm sure they're wonderful, but my life doesn't require them. I expect yours doesn't require Springsteen.

Edited by mjmooney

On Springsteen, Love Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River (sorry Mike I know you're not a fan of that one). Of most of his other albums, I tend to like 3-4 tracks but find there's way too much filler. The one album I can't stand is Born in the USA though, the production on that album is so OTT it kills any joy in the songs.

The album he did a few years ago (Magic) was a real return to form, absolutely love that album, particularly Radio Nowhere which is a cracking song.

BOF, even stuff like the river? Darkness? Nebraska? I'd hardly call it as the same level as dirge such as cher lloyd, will.i.am, bieber etc.... On the contrary, I'd say some of the stuff on his less commercial albums are some of the best songs ever written.

It's very probably because I don't know enough of his stuff. I'm not a fan so I'll only ever stumble across the more commercial stuff on the radio and that stuff makes me dive for the next channel. And I'm not into music enough to go delving any deeper.

On Springsteen, Love Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River (sorry Mike I know you're not a fan of that one). Of most of his other albums, I tend to like 3-4 tracks but find there's way too much filler. The one album I can't stand is Born in the USA though, the production on that album is so OTT it kills any joy in the songs.

I pretty much agree, actually. I don't LOVE The River, but I do like much of it (the "3 - 4 good tracks plus filler" rule applies here, as I agree it does on many of his albums).

But his core work for me will always be 1974-78:

The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle (plus outtakes)

Live at the Main Point

Born to Run (plus outtakes)

Hammersmith Odeon

Darkness on the Edge of Town (and The Crossing)

I do quite like Nebraska and The Ghost of Tom Joad (although to be fair, some of those songs ARE dirges).

Edited by mjmooney

Musical taste is a weird thing.

I'm seriously mid man crush on Alabama 3 (you'll all be getting a dose on the evening news, courtesy of Mr Gandolfini passing away).

I've recently acquired an unreleased album of theirs by sucking up to an ex band member. I thought this was the pinnacle of all human history, but I'm struggling to find anyone else that gives a toss.

Each to their own.

I know less about Alabama 3 than you do about Bruce Springsteen.

I've heard OF them, that's it. Not a clue as to what they do (I suspect the dreaded rap).

EDIT: We should probably take this over to a music thread before Simon tells us off for being off-topic again. ;)

Edited by mjmooney

You are seriously missing out, Chris.

EDIT: Then again, you are allowed to. Like I'm allowed to miss out on all those HBO TV shows that VT collectively loves so much.

I'm sure they're wonderful, but my life doesn't require them. I expect yours doesn't require Springsteen.

game 17 in the get MJM to appreciate Rap / Hip Hop series.

Sir, I direct you to the 'what ya listenin' too?' music thread.....

Â