Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

I've always thought legalising marijuana in the UK/Britain is a terrible idea for the people that smoke it, and for one reason; tax. The government would tax it to **** which would lead to the equivalent of £10s worth going up by 50-100% or more. Nobody seems to think this way though?

nah not a problem

if you can get moody fags I'm fairly conident that there will still be illegal marijuana available for the poor and the groovy

I've always thought legalising marijuana in the UK/Britain is a terrible idea for the people that smoke it, and for one reason; tax. The government would tax it to **** which would lead to the equivalent of £10s worth going up by 50-100% or more. Nobody seems to think this way though?

It's also terrible for the big time growers/suppliers, they don't want the government moving in on their business. 

The best thing for organised crime is prohibition. 

cartels-marijuana.jpg

Edited by AVFCforever1991

nah not a problem

if you can get moody fags I'm fairly conident that there will still be illegal marijuana available for the poor and the groovy

I just think it's fine as it is, the police aren't overly bothered by people with small amounts and it's not a huge expense to people.

It's also terrible for the big time growers/suppliers, they don't want the government moving in on their business. 

The best thing for organised crime is prohibition. 

This is true, legalisation would lead to the end of many people incapable of working and doing good for society.

This rasta I worked with years ago reckoned he grew cannabis in his garden. I thought that wasn't possible in this climate. 

perfectly possible, the garden next to mine at my last house had enough for placid Brian to be self sufficient and turn a modest profit

(edit: this too was in tropical South Wales)

Edited by chrisp65

One thing which puzzles me slightly, and i'm sure someone will have a good answer:

Why are some people so vehement in their support for legalising Cannabis? Anyone can get hold of the stuff, and as long as you're sensible, keep it in house, and don't sell the stuff, then you'll have no problems from the law.

It strikes me that, much like with the music trade, a big part smoking Cannabis is the culture that goes with it, and discussing politics & the ban often goes hand in hand with this way of life. I suspect a lot of users would have to come up with a new interest if it became legalised.

• Like 2

Hmmmm. You may have a point there. As someone who's not particularly interested in smoking cannabis, my concern lies more with the trouble makers who will inevitably go on to cause a nuisance of themselves, rather than the larger group of responsible users. 

I'm not entirely sure now...

On the one hand, what you say make a lot of sense. It isn't necessarily fair to ban Cannabis under the premise that some people will act like idiots under it's influence. And the health implications alone probably aren't enough to keep Cannabis from the legalised list either.

On the other, perhaps more pragmatically than theoretically, there's no need to cause that extra level of trouble that Cannabis would inevitably bring. I don't think people necessarily have a right to it, and i'm also entirely sure that allowing people to be responsible for their own actions isn't a good idea for everyone. While it wouldn't be the greatest problem faced by the country, I still think it would be a problem, and hence there's no need to legalise it IMO. In the same way that increasing the national speed limit to 90mph would be a move that would benefit many, the idiotic actions of the few would cause more damage than it's worth.

Well that's exactly it and I can tell from your second paragraph that you do see the point I'm making. However I will say that I'm also not naïve enough to think that it is possible to completely separate the health/financial conversation from the pragmatic one of allowing the public to find its own level w.r.t. behaviour. They are all different concerns in the broader cannabis discussion. They're all pros and cons and it's the responsibility of those in power to decide what is best by taking everything into account. But there's the thing ... I suppose I'm just a little more cynical as to the motives behind the final decision. It won't be based on what's best overall for the population, although it will be spun that way. It will be based on furthering their own ends, whether that be their political lives or keeping people on the tax-generating cigarettes or all of the above. It is also always much easier to keep the status quo.
  • Like 1

This rasta I worked with years ago reckoned he grew cannabis in his garden. I thought that wasn't possible in this climate. 

If it's possible in Wales, it's possible anywhere

I like how they call them pot plants. I always thought he was talking crap because I assumed everyone would be growing it.

Another example, and my favourite of the two.

I don't think it should be legalised by the way...

If it's possible in Wales, it's possible anywhere

I like how they call them pot plants. I always thought he was talking crap because I assumed everyone would be growing it.

Another example, and my favourite of the two.

I don't think it should be legalised by the way...

Topping up their pensions.

Hmmmm. You may have a point there. As someone who's not particularly interested in smoking cannabis, my concern lies more with the trouble makers who will inevitably go on to cause a nuisance of themselves, rather than the larger group of responsible users. 

I'm not entirely sure now...

On the one hand, what you say make a lot of sense. It isn't necessarily fair to ban Cannabis under the premise that some people will act like idiots under it's influence. And the health implications alone probably aren't enough to keep Cannabis from the legalised list either.

On the other, perhaps more pragmatically than theoretically, there's no need to cause that extra level of trouble that Cannabis would inevitably bring. I don't think people necessarily have a right to it, and i'm also entirely sure that allowing people to be responsible for their own actions isn't a good idea for everyone. While it wouldn't be the greatest problem faced by the country, I still think it would be a problem, and hence there's no need to legalise it IMO. In the same way that increasing the national speed limit to 90mph would be a move that would benefit many, the idiotic actions of the few would cause more damage than it's worth.

Well that's exactly it and I can tell from your second paragraph that you do see the point I'm making. However I will say that I'm also not naïve enough to think that it is possible to completely separate the health/financial conversation from the pragmatic one of allowing the public to find its own level w.r.t. behaviour. They are all different concerns in the broader cannabis discussion. They're all pros and cons and it's the responsibility of those in power to decide what is best by taking everything into account. But there's the thing ... I suppose I'm just a little more cynical as to the motives behind the final decision. It won't be based on what's best overall for the population, although it will be spun that way. It will be based on furthering their own ends, whether that be their political lives or keeping people on the tax-generating cigarettes or all of the above. It is also always much easier to keep the status quo.

I can definitely appreciate why you're sceptical about the government's motives. Admittedly, I didn't have those thoughts prior to this conversation, but I can certainly see your reasoning there, and I completely agree.

I think we've probably got a fundamental difference with regards to the amount of faith we have in those around us. Where as you think it should be up to society to shape itself, I think society is full of miscreants who are best kept in a cage.

I think we've probably got a fundamental difference with regards to the amount of faith we have in those around us. Where as you think it should be up to society to shape itself, I think society is full of miscreants who are best kept in a cage.

I think we're not far apart there at all actually ;) The difference is that I would allow them enough rope to hang themselves with, whereas you'd be reluctant to let them play with the gallows :)
  • Like 3

Legalising drugs?

That'd sure help to drag Britain out of the gutter.

We've already used alcohol to show that we, as a nation, are unable to moderate our excesses. While there are many, many reasons why drugs should be legalised, it's not what this country needs right now. It'd just be another route towards excess, illness and antisocial behaviour for a country that's already had it's fill.

Well they should only legalise it for middle class people, obviously.  :mellow:

• Like 1

I personally know a lot of people who go around like they are clinically depressed who love to smoke marajuana claiming it makes them feel good, they could have fooled me. I used to smoke it when I was in my late teens but can't really say that I enjoyed it, I've always thought stimulants/up lifters are much more acceptable as a drug to be legalised although people who go from using it a recreational clubbing drug to something they depend on also has a negative psychological affect on the user. It's a hard one to call whether drugs should be legalised, I personally think people shouldn't necassarily be criminalised but just fined if they are causing social issues. I don't think there's any drugs that are as damaging as alcohol and that is legal, I think problem drug addicts should be treated the same as problem drinkers as they are more or less the same problem.

• Like 2

I believe in letting people do whatever the **** they want, as long as they take other peoples' freedoms and rights into consideration.

If people want to smoke marijuana, then I see no problem if they, in a similar way to those who drink alcohol, do it recreationally (i.e. not in the workplace) and don't drive etc while on it.

So yeah, legalise it, and just be responsible etc.

Nothing ground breaking here. I don't even know why I bothered posting it, really, but it's the internet and you'll listen/read to my opinions if you like it or not.

• Like 2

Â