Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

I think saying 'It doesn't work' is quite narrow sighted. Perhaps 'It didn't work for us last season' would have been more apt.

Also I don't think anyone can judge Bacuna as yet, and I did caveat that obviously players can be shifted in and/or out of that lineup.

3 CB's has worked in the past for many teams, and will do in the future I am sure, I mean, so we really think we need to be 'solid' in the centre midfield position against say Crystal Palace for example? I'm not saying that it would be our go to formation, I was just saying it's interesting and probbaly does have a place as an option we could use.

PS: I think messers McGrath, Southgate and Taylor may want to have a word about 3 CB's not working for us :P

unless you've got 2 world class central midfieders, 5 at the back doesn't work in the modern game in england because everyone else has 3 CMs to your 2. That lineup you posted would have us **** murdered every match by literally any team in the division, purely because it couldn't compete in CM due to lack of manpower. Last year I thought it was a good idea, but we tried it and showed that it can't be done with our current personnel (i'd argue that it can't be done regardless any more... you'd need keane and viera in there to play against modern systems)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest plus for Lambo is Clark's versatility. The biggest negativity for Clark is his own versatility. This is the paradox.

Ciaran will find it extremely difficult to make a regular starting place his own this season because it's difficult to confirm his best position in the team.

He is a very cultured player with a sweet left foot. He can comfortably fit in with a 3 at the back, comfortably play in a back 4 at LB or CB & is also stylish in the centre of midfield or on the left of midfield.

If he could just play with more of an edge to his game, cut out the silly errors & concentrate more there exists a real opportunity for Ciaran to really develop his game.

It's going to be tough ask though because we have loads of healthy competition & players who are currently ahead of Clark in all those positions mentioned.

I still remain a big fan of Clark & think he is definitely one for the future.

Lambert just sees him as a centre half though? I prefer Clark in central midfield, I think that area is the best chance of him having a long term premier league career.

PS: I think messrs McGrath, Southgate and Taylor may want to have a word about 3 CB's not working for us :P

A strange three people to pick out to prove the point (but the point is an excellent one).

The problem with 3 at the back is that when we are on the back foot the full backs get penned back so it becomes 5 at the back then the wide players track back and tuck in to help the midfielders which leaves your centre forward as the only put ball. A lot of temas play 4-2-3-1 these days which means 3 at the back rarely works. At the time we played this way a lot of teams played 4-4-2 but thats rarely used anymore.

4-5-1/4-3-3 is best for us I think. I wish we had centre backs of the quality of McGrath Southgate and Ehiogu again but Vlaar,Clark,Baker and Okore are a very very long way off that.

I am not really sure what Clark's main defensive ability is supposed to be. You can say that he distributes the ball well for a central defender or he is comfortable on the ball, but what does he bring defensively?

Clark's error against Man City was a foul against him by Tevez, pure & simple that went unnoticed & unpunished by the shit Ref that we always get allocated as a Premier League rule.

Clark was guilty of over confidence & got caught out by Teves's cuteness. This is just a part of his game that he will improve on in time. Clark undoubtedly has Potential & is a good squad player hence the new contract.

It was Dzeko that took the ball off of Clark

Correct. And he didn't foul him, either, Clark tried to be cute playing a tricky little turn and tripped over his own feet. There was no contact and no foul.

Clark's error against Man City was a foul against him by Tevez, pure & simple that went unnoticed & unpunished by the shit Ref that we always get allocated as a Premier League rule.

Clark was guilty of over confidence & got caught out by Teves's cuteness. This is just a part of his game that he will improve on in time. Clark undoubtedly has Potential & is a good squad player hence the new contract.

Correct. And he didn't foul him, either, Clark tried to be cute playing a tricky little turn and tripped over his own feet. There was no contact and no foul.

It may well have been Dzeko who dispossessed Clark & if so I stand corrected. However, Clark was definitely fouled of that I am absolutely certain. It was an extremely poor decision by the referee but as I have already stated & conceded it was also a poor decision by Clark to attempt the drag back as the last man in defence with no obvious cover in behind.

This does not detract from Ciaran's ability though. No way. On the contrary. He was confident enough to try it but hopefully he will learn that in that position as the last man it was a poor decision by him even though he actually got fouled.

The real key to Ciaran's progress really is simple. Toughen up, concentrate & cut out the silly mistakes.

I still rate him highly & as one poster has stated Central Midfield could well prove to be his best position.

We will see.

He's the new scapegoat, seems we need one around here these days.......

He will come good I believe

Bollocks to this scapegoat crap. He has been CONSISTENTLY awful for 6 to 8 months and we are well within our rights to pick up on it!

It may well have been Dzeko who dispossessed Clark & if so I stand corrected. However, Clark was definitely fouled of that I am absolutely certain. It was an extremely poor decision by the referee but as I have already stated & conceded it was also a poor decision by Clark to attempt the drag back as the last man in defence with no obvious cover in behind.

I guess it's human nature that two people can watch the same thing but reach two different conclusions, like the Rashomon effect. I definitely see him tripping over his own feet. If that's not what you see, fair play.

I think in 5-7 years, Baker and Clark partnering central defense could potentially be a very strong pairing, and 4/5ths of a pretty strong back 5 if Guzan remains in goal and Lowton at right back (jury's out on Bennett/Tony Moon). Baker staying back, winning headers, bullying strikers with his big physical presence, Clark roaming forward on occasion, playing that clever through ball that sets one of our forwards free. Could be. Potentially. Right now neither of them are there yet. In my opinion, Baker is closer. I'm not willing to write Clark off yet, but he has a lot of work to do this season.

Baker is nowhere near there yet. 

I'm not disparaging his talent, it's just his current level is over-exaggerated to counter-weight some peoples' dislike of Clark.

Baker can become England's centreback but I challenge anyone to say with a straight face they'd take him to the 2014 World Cup over the alternatives.

As for Dzeko's  challenge, it occurred very quick but looking at that replay it is obvious he was fouled. Dzeko's left boot prevents Clark's right foot getting round so he can support himself. It was a clean Cruyff turn and Dzeko was sold, and instinctively stuck out a boot to foul Clark. Ref didn't give it.

Baker is nowhere near there yet.

I'm not disparaging his talent, it's just his current level is over-exaggerated to counter-weight some peoples' dislike of Clark.

Baker can become England's centreback but I challenge anyone to say with a straight face they'd take him to the 2014 World Cup over the alternatives.

As for Dzeko's challenge, it occurred very quick but looking at that replay it is obvious he was fouled. Dzeko's left boot prevents Clark's right foot getting round so he can support himself. It was a clean Cruyff turn and Dzeko was sold, and instinctively stuck out a boot to foul Clark. Ref didn't give it.

I see the little hints have started, that we dislike Clark, just as he did in the Bannan thread. Steadily dropping it in, another month it'll be more and more and suddenly Clark is poor because we dislike him.

No.

Just as with Bannan, the poor performances frustrate us.

Edited by dodgyknees
  • Like 1

Clark definitely slips before Edin clips him there. 

Yes, he does but the point is Clark would not have slipped over.

He would be able to get up if it wasn't for Dzeko sticking his boot in.

if clark was sold, i wouldnt be bothered, if baker was sold, id be gutted

clark shouldnt play CB unless were playing 3 at the back and baker is injured, back up left back for him behind luna would be best

At premier league level he has been caught out / found wanting at times last season. I still think there could be a good premier league player there in him, Lambert clearly feels the same as he has sanctioned a new contract. 

I'm sure given support and training in the area's of weakness he and others within the team will improve further, and with the stronger squad last year's roller coaster season will stand us in good stead for the next one.

Â