Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

i think the 'prem league experience' thing is more just a veiled way of saying thanks but no thanks to kmac.

i will be very surprised to he honest if we do appoint someone has never managed in the prem before because although there have been some truly great managers come straight in and been fantastic (wenger, mourinho etc) we arent in a position to get someone of that caliber and neither are we in a position to really take a big gamble on someone. i know its a bit of an uninspiring thought, but i really think that it will be someone probably decent, but also more than likely someone "safe".

"Safe" equates to boring in my eyes, a 'Curbishly' if you like. Will never win anything, but will never get relagated either, Brilliant were going to be Everton.

Give me a bit of a rollercoaster anyday. Bring on Maradonna haha!!

yep - its exactly what i am talking about.

ever since lerner took over the talk has always involved buzz words like "sustainability", "steady-growth", "long term improvement". it translates to minimum-risk, calculated investment with consistency being the main aim, not flashy publicity stunts designed to grab headlines for a few weeks. look at our signings - we signed stuart downing, but never once made a move to get beckham on loan.

it isnt suddenly going to change.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if we were considering the likes of curbishley, we'd have done it by now. The statement reads like we'll be without a manager for a while, i presume this means were not looking at out of work managers.
Yeah. If we were going to appoint some underwhelming "safe" man we would've done it this time last week. Unless of course, you buy into the silly theories that the only reason it's taking so long is because Randy doesn't want to spend any money.

In all fairness it could still be someone like Klinsmann. Premier League experience isn't something which is necessary for the job.

"Two of the traits we believe are of crucial importance are that candidates have experience of managing in the Premier League and a strategy for building on the existing strengths in our current squad"

It is if you take the above sentance from the statement as accurate.

Above all I think the club are looking for the right man. If they find that right man in a foreign manager I don't see any reason why he wont be appointed.

As long as said man has "experience of managing in the Premier League" it wont matter where there from they will be considered. If not they wont be, simples!!

The statement didn't say that. The General didn't say that either.

I've pasted the relevant bit of the statement again as you missed it the first time.

Here you go

"Two of the traits we believe are of crucial importance are that candidates have experience of managing in the Premier League and a strategy for building on the existing strengths in our current squad"

Black and white for you

In all fairness it could still be someone like Klinsmann. Premier League experience isn't something which is necessary for the job.

Above all I think the club are looking for the right man. If they find that right man in a foreign manager I don't see any reason why he wont be appointed.

As long as said man has "experience of managing in the Premier League" it wont matter where there from they will be considered. If not they wont be, simples!!

I've pasted the relevant bit of the statement again as you missed it the first time.

Here you go

Black and white for you

Yeah, I saw it the first time. To me it looks as if Premier League experience is important but not the be all and end all. Do you really think Randy and the board wouldn't appoint someone they thought to be the right man just because he didn't have PL experience?

Here you go

Black and white for you

Yeah, I saw it the first time. To me it looks as if Premier League experience is important but not the be all and end all. Do you really think Randy and the board wouldn't appoint someone they thought to be the right man just because he didn't have PL experience?

Hey im going with the black and white, not my interpretation of it. It clearly says what it says, why should I not believe it? If it's not true, why put it???

My own view is that whoever they feel is right, will get the job and regardless of whether I like them or not, I will support them, like a player.

Shall we stop with the multi quotes now? neither of us really know haha!! :-)

That's like saying....Sorry Bradley, we know your a fellow American, but were not giving you the job.

Stratgey for building on the strengths sounds like someone for the long haul and Sven isn't really noted for that and Houllier is too old surely. It will be someone younger who has innovative ideas. We'll see in the next two weeks I suppose.

Went to bed last night feeling so hopeful it was Klinsmann. Wanting what I think would be breath of fresh air at the helm. Woke up and watched a hell of a committed effort from Villa today with my heart swelling with pride at how hard they fought and how deep they dug for that win. Now reading the narrow criteria of who'll be considered for the job has me concrned again.

Jol would be fantastic but Villa sound as if they are "interviewing" the next manager. I can't see how Jol will be interviewed. I can see him straight out being offered the appointment but interviewed when he's in the mist of his season under contract with a team in the CL? Can't picture how that works.

I'm sure the club aren't incapable of holding a video conferencing call on tinternet!

Ha! I know that much, JulieB, I engage in video conferences all of the time! It's a necessary part of my work! No, my point was interviewing some one for a job means that the person has submitted an application to be considered. We all know the fight Ajax put up regarding Jol's potential exit to Fulham so how Jol actually "interviews" for the Villa job would seem to be something done rather clandenstine rather than overt. It could make for a very negative experience for Jol and Ajax especially given that the season is now underway. Here in the States a club would have to ask permission from the other club to interview some one under contract by that club for a job at a different club. Does it not work that way in European football?

I thought I saw Ronald Koeman mulling around the Directors seating area earlier, weren't 100% sure, and tried to take a picture, but it's crap quality....... Going by the statement it seems highly unlikely now, however, if it where him, I would say it would have something to do with him whoring himself out for the job at every opportunity, rather than him being a favourite... - Again though, I'm not 100% sure it was him, so don't take this as gospel that he was there!

please not venables, taylor mk 3, mouthgate, robson, mowbray,jones, brown

hughes just signed for fulham, their chairman wont let him go

jol wanted money at ajax, however i doubt he has been given any bearing in mind they got mido on a free transfer the other week

if we got jol and promised he could bring in suarez ( scored another 3 goals today, making it 5 goals in 3 games so far this season) i think we would improve,

moyes is loyal and i couldnt see him going anywhere for a while or at least not until te end of the season, he seemed slightly frustrated that like most clubs, he wont be able to do much this transfer window.

I thought I saw Ronald Koeman mulling around the Directors seating area earlier, weren't 100% sure, and tried to take a picture, but it's crap quality....... Going by the statement it seems highly unlikely now, however, if it where him, I would say it would have something to do with him whoring himself out for the job at every opportunity, rather than him being a favourite... - Again though, I'm not 100% sure it was him, so don't take this as gospel that he was there!

I think it would of been picked up upon already personally if true.