Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Kevin MacDonald will meet Randy Lerner, Aston Villa's owner, on Monday to discuss his future, although the Scot continues to harbour genuine doubts about whether he wishes to become the club's new manager.

MacDonald, who has been in charge on a caretaker basis since Martin O'Neill resigned, remains uncomfortable with the spotlight that accompanies being a Premier League manager and admitted he had no desire to become "high profile".

Although there is no guarantee MacDonald will be offered the chance to take over as manager, Lerner intends to give him every opportunity to succeed. Victories in the next two matches, against Rapid Vienna at home in the Europa League play-off second leg tomorrow and Everton at Villa Park in the Premier League on Sunday, would put him in a strong position, although MacDonald says he may opt to return to his post as reserve team manager irrespective of results.

With no other obvious candidates to choose from, Villa would be left in a difficult position if MacDonald decided front-line management was not for him. One potential solution would be to bring in an experienced figurehead to work alongside him, allowing the former Liverpool midfielder to concentrate on coaching, where he is most comfortable, and leave dealing with the media, player recruitment and negotiating contracts in the hands of a director of football.

MacDonald indicated today he would be receptive to the idea of working within that sort of structure, although he also made it clear he would still have to decide whether he wanted to step up to looking after the first-team. After three games in charge, during which Villa have won impressively against West Ham, drawn with Rapid Vienna and suffered a crushing defeat at Newcastle United, he seems none the wiser at the moment as to whether that level of responsibility is for him.

"I enjoy going out there [coaching]," said MacDonald, who defended his decision to rest Richard Dunne, Stewart Downing, Luke Young and Stephen Warnock tomorrow. "I like being out there twice a day and previously with the reserves I could do that. Now it's a case of once a day and then speaking to everyone else. It's the peripheral things that I've found difficult to get used to because that is a big thing about being a Premier League manager – it's not the football, it's all the other stuff on the outside."

MacDonald is also concerned about how he would react if Villa were to suffer a poor run of results. "I don't enjoy the fact that people might say good things, because I know somewhere down the line they might say bad things," he said. "If we start struggling [against Rapid Vienna], you'll have people in the crowd saying, 'that Kevin MacDonald is useless'. I've got to be able to accept that."

The status that comes with being a Premier League manager would appeal to many people but MacDonald insisted he has no interest in being in the limelight. "I don't want [the supporters] to chant my name because I'm only picking the team. The players are the ones who have to be admired and supported. If I could pick a team and be stood there like the Invisible Man, I would be quite happy with that.

"The most important thing is the football team try to win matches. And that might be something I might not be able to come terms with, so it might make me walk away because Premier League managers are very high profile now. I don't want to be high profile. But I'm not saying I don't want to be considered for the job."

Guardian

This has become a bad situation IMO.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why does Randy need to give him every opportunity to succeed,four games doesnt make you a manager Randy,with this tool in charge no wonder the browns are as shite as they are,ffs does he not know how to get a real manager..

why does Randy need to give him every opportunity to succeed,four games doesnt make you a manager Randy,with this tool in charge no wonder the browns are as shite as they are,ffs does he not know how to get a real manager..

He's invested £100 million on players under O'Neill, as well spending large amounts on the ground, training and general infastructure, community work.

You sound like a spoilt kid. "I want PS3!!!".....Look son, I got you a Xbox, Ps1, Ps2, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo, you don't use some of these, can you not sell some of them first so then we will get you a PS3"....."NO, PS3 NOW".

He's invested £100 million on players under O'Neill, as well spending large amounts on the ground, training and general infastructure, community work.

You sound like a spoilt kid. "I want PS3!!!".....Look son, I got you a Xbox, Ps1, Ps2, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo, you don't use some of these, can you not sell some of them first so then we will get you a PS3"....."NO, PS3 NOW".

Bravo! Not the tv channel

Fran most of us know on here that he is out of his depth, but good managers have to start some where....I don't think he wants the job and I personally don't want him to have it because the fans will turn on him and he is a nice bloke from what I've heard.

I don't see why they should push him to ruin what he has done at AV....I say push, but I mean put him in that position when it clearly isn't for him.

he's out of his depth,he's a good coach but not a manager of a prem team Randy needs to wake up ffs,before we are going on a 5 or 6 game losing streak with players getting down and us end up in the shite..

Firstly, we don't know if he is going to be appointed manager. We also don't know how well he's done. He's never been appointed manager, also we don't know what is happening at the club. For all we know, a couple of the key players could of spoken to people higher at the top and said they would like Kev Mac in charge. We also don't know the long term plans for the club. Again for all we know, they could be giving Kev Mac a short term deal before bringing in a better calibre manager next year when there are far more available options. Youy have to admit, O'Neill leaving at the time he did, hasn't exactly left options left right and centre.

I have just posted on the Gens thread

That interview sounds more like a guy going into depression than one just been offerred a multi millionpund a year job.

jesus christ - it will be suicide if we give it him, for us, randy and him !

Who is gonna be his backroom team - Collymore, Merson and Adams ?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I have just posted on the Gens thread

That interview sounds more like a guy going into depression than one just been offerred a multi millionpund a year job.

jesus christ - it will be suicide if we give it him, for us, randy and him !

Who is gonna be his backroom team - Collymore, Merson and Adams ?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Paul I think you're going way over the top, if Kevin doesn't think he is the man for the job I think he will be big enough to say that.

In the interview it does sound like he is worried what people might think of him, he hasn't had this much pressure from the day to day media before so it's a lot for him to take in "overwhelming".

It's a long way from coaching the kids, so I don't think he will just agree to it if he doesn't think he is the right person.

Also, because we lost 5 to 6 members of the backroom staff when MON left he has been running about doing other jobs and I don't think he has had anytime to himself.

I think based on that alone he will not want it.

Whatever we paid him it would be too much.

In ANY business, if you were a manager running interviews and you had a guy come in and when you say - "why do you want to join my company" they said "Well, I'm not too sure I do, I don't know whether I will like it really, I prefer doing another job" etc.......

Would you employ him ?

Sorry, it's so bloody obvious it is ridiculous.

Best of it - imagine the players reading that he prefers training the reserve side instead of them !

Bloody hell - that interview is ALARMING !

Well we will know monday i just watch the skysports interview and he will be meeting randy on monday to see if he gets the job.

If not then randy will have two weeks to look for a new manager with the two week break.

Strange comments really because i thought randy was looking and had a short list already?

So km it is lol.

Whatever we paid him it would be too much.

In ANY business, if you were a manager running interviews and you had a guy come in and when you say - "why do you want to join my company" they said "Well, I'm not too sure I do, I don't know whether I will like it really, I prefer doing another job" etc.......

Would you employ him ?

Sorry, it's so bloody obvious it is ridiculous.

Best of it - imagine the players reading that he prefers training the reserve side instead of them !

Bloody hell - that interview is ALARMING !

seems to me like he's been in that handy job with the reserves,for the last 15 years and doesn't really want to be taken out of his comfort zone.

Kevin Mack is not management material. The poor guy says he hasn't slept for 2 weeks so I genuinely feel sorry for him because it can't be good for his health. As paul pointed out he looks totally depressed with the prospect of getting the nod. Moderator Trent called it correctly recently when he pointed out that coaching & managing require 2 different animals.

The sooner KM gets back to his original role the better for everyone.