Barry Bannan

villianusa

To be fair, in that clip Bannan is pointing for the ball to go back - either to a defender or to the keeper - it looks like Zamora is making that hard, so Bennett plays it across the field to Bannan's feet - really badly - leaving Bannan chasing a poor pass in a bad area. I'm sure there are examples of Bannan giving the ball away out there, but that really isn't one.

I don't doubt that there are better examples out there... I just can't be bothered to find them. However, wouldn't it be nice that if one of our defenders was in a difficult position that the defensive midfielder who was available took control of the situation rather than do an impression of a shrinking violet. He could have easily come across and taken the pressure out of the situation.

Hardly clutching at straws is it? Bannan is the only player not in the squad the last 3 games who has 6 wins this season.

It's only natural that Lambert might be thinking of returning to the winning formula after the last three unconvincing performances.

Do you agree that a player can be pretty poor in a game that is won? Possibly because much better players like Benteke and Weimann win us the game? Also, the games we have won have been against pretty poor sides such as West Ham, Reading x2, Sunderland and Stoke. Would you agree that an average side will win a game every once in a while, like we have done? Poor one game, then decent the next one because the opposition varies as much as we do.

Barry Bannan is not the reason why we won those six matches, that statistic alone does not imply anything at all. Nothing what so ever. What matters are match-winners and goals, and collective momentum against a team that is having a bad day. Come back when we have 19 victories with Bannan on the pitch and 19 without a win without him being on the pitch, maybe then you have something solid.

Barry Bannan is a poor footballer and amongst the weakest in our squad, that is why Lambert doesn't play him when others are fit. Same with Brett Holman, Karim El Ahmadi and Stephen Ireland. If Bannan plays tomorrow, then look out for stray passes, poor set-pieces, instant release of the ball into enemy territory just because he is afraid of taking a challenge on etc.

• Like 1

So you think he's saying pass it to Zamora instead?

The guy is a liability and is not worthy a place in a team as great as Aston Villa. He is certainly at fault a lot more times for shipping goals than creating goals. I'd imagine the net goal difference of his assists vs his **** ups that have lead to goals is about -10 this season alone.

Clark was behind Bennett. Bannan was pointing towards Clark. Your desperation to blame Bannan for something it was widely reported Lambert blamed Bennett for at half-time, is pathetic. You could at least limit your criticisms to actual errors, rather than inventing ones.

Sqwaka stats show Bannan has made 2 defensive errors this season, neither of which lead to a goal. So he is literally +1 on your scorecard.

S.U.B.J.E.C.T.I.V.E.

The guy is a liability and is not worthy a place in a team as great as Aston Villa. He is certainly at fault a lot more times for shipping goals than creating goals. I'd imagine the net goal difference of his assists vs his **** ups that have lead to goals is about -10 this season alone.

Clark was behind Bennett. Bannan was pointing towards Clark. Your desperation to blame Bannan for something it was widely reported Lambert blamed Bennett for at half-time, is pathetic. You could at least limit your criticisms to actual errors, rather than inventing ones.

It's ironic that you are telling me to stop inventing things up when I believe that Bannan is partly to blame for the total mix-up that lead to that QPR game. This is ironic because not once has Lambert come out and blamed Bennett for that goal yet you state it was "widely reported".

It's not Lamberts style to blast players in public... if it was we would have all heard it after THAT Bannan Liverpool performance which was the worst by a Villa player in many a year and was so bad he hasn't been in the squad since. Lambert said nothing on the matter though.

It's ironic that you are telling me to stop inventing things up when I believe that Bannan is partly to blame for the total mix-up that lead to that QPR game. This is ironic because not once has Lambert come out and blamed Bennett for that goal yet you state it was "widely reported".

It's not Lamberts style to blast players in public... if it was we would have all heard it after THAT Bannan Liverpool performance which was the worst by a Villa player in many a year and was so bad he hasn't been in the squad since. Lambert said nothing on the matter though.

You obvs didnt see Bennetts performance v utd. While i agree Bannans perf wasnt good it was no where near the worst even this year

2mclnc.png

My mum can make these passes. He needs something more to his game than being able to make 10 yard passes to be considered a League Two player let alone a Premiership player.

And yet Westwood gets praised for making those 10 yrd passes... I get that you don't rate Bannan but give credit where it's due. That was a great team goal and Bannan was an important part of it

VillaLi0n, it's hard to identify what you specifically don't like about Bannan's play because you criticise everything about him, even that which he is good at.  You simply pretend the statistics are wrong and he is actually really bad at that too.

Your criticism is full of analytical errors like that, and others even more startling. You have blamed Bannan for a pass Bennett made which lead to a goal for QPR, which Lambert himself and TV pictures both demonstrate was all Bennett's doing and had nothing to do with Bannan

Surely you are capable of a more reasoned criticism of this player and don't you understand how hard it is for me to take your criticisms seriously..

VillaLi0n, it's hard to identify what you specifically don't like about Bannan's play because you criticise everything about him, even that which he is good at.  You simply pretend the statistics are wrong and he is actually really bad at that too.

Your criticism is full of analytical errors like that, and others even more startling. You have blamed Bannan for a pass Bennett made which lead to a goal for QPR, which Lambert himself and TV pictures both demonstrate was all Bennett's doing and had nothing to do with Bannan

Surely you are capable of a more reasoned criticism of this player and don't you understand how hard it is for me to take your criticisms seriously..

It'll be easier for me to state what I do like about Bannan. He tries hard. That's all.

I don't pretend that the stats are wrong, I've proven the stats are wrong. Despite that, I don't even rely on the stats (as they can be incredibly misleading) as to the main reason why I like/dislike him as a player. I dislike him as a player because everything I see of him on the pitch is rubbish. He is constantly ruining opportunities from over hitting crosses. He is constantly dispossessed in dangerous places on the pitch. He is always trying these long balls that are pointless. And his corners are an absolute joke. But on top of all of that, I then come to this site and have to read how the stats, which are flawed, are proving that the very same crosses and corners which make my blood boil, are the reason why he is the best player in the league.

It's hard to take anything, and I mean anything, you say seriously when your claims are as ludicrous as a blue nose on a deliberate windup. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if you were on some elaborate bluenose mission. To claim he is the best player in the league, to claim he will be a Champions League player, to claim that the hatred on VillaTalk towards Bannan is going to relegate Villa shows that you are very close to being locked up in a mental institution.

As I have said before, time will prove me right.

(and whilst you are on about factless claims, why don't you show everyone where Lambert has blamed Bennett for the QPR goal? You can't... yet another made up claim you hope that people will believe)

Edited by VillaLi0n

It'll be easier for me to state what I do like about Bannan. He tries hard. That's all.

I don't pretend that the stats are wrong, I've proven the stats are wrong. Despite that, I don't even rely on the stats (as they can be incredibly misleading) as to the main reason why I like/dislike him as a player. I dislike him as a player because everything I see of him on the pitch is rubbish. He is constantly ruining opportunities from over hitting crosses. He is constantly dispossessed in dangerous places on the pitch. He is always trying these long balls that are pointless. And his corners are an absolute joke. But on top of all of that, I then come to this site and have to read how the stats, which are flawed, are proving that the very same crosses and corners which make my blood boil, are the reason why he is the best player in the league.

It's hard to take anything, and I mean anything, you say seriously when your claims are as ludicrous as a blue nose on a deliberate windup. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if you were on some elaborate bluenose mission. To claim he is the best player in the league, to claim he will be a Champions League player, to claim that the hatred on VillaTalk towards Bannan is going to relegate Villa shows that you are very close to being locked up in a mental institution.

(and whilst you are on about factless claims, why don't you show everyone where Lambert has blamed Bennett for the QPR goal? You can't... yet another made up claim you hope that people will believe)

Great post! I can be shown all these stats (that favour the player) but I'm sure there are just as many stats showing the opposite. Additionally the stats are subjective, plus as VillaLion is saying what the stats are showing in terms of Fact, when you see those stats in live performances it's a totally different story.

He's an average player at best and in my mind not good enough for our first team or even our bench....he's a liability at worst and over a course of a game ineffective. For the poor kids sake I hope he gets a move in the summer to a championship side as I think that's his level although I think he may struggle there as its a more aggressive style. Maybe Scottish football would suit him better.

Great post! I can be shown all these stats (that favour the player) but I'm sure there are just as many stats showing the opposite. Additionally the stats are subjective, plus as VillaLion is saying what the stats are showing in terms of Fact, when you see those stats in live performances it's a totally different story.

He's an average player at best and in my mind not good enough for our first team or even our bench....he's a liability at worst and over a course of a game ineffective. For the poor kids sake I hope he gets a move in the summer to a championship side as I think that's his level although I think he may struggle there as its a more aggressive style. Maybe Scottish football would suit him better.

I agree with Nick 76 & villalion apart from the mental institution bit. I think Con is fair minded but also deluded by statistics.

The acid test as far as i'm concerned is the mince pies test & let me tell you here & now my own mince pies tell me Bannon is a complete liability & totally out of his depth in the premier league. He definitely currently is Villa's weakest link.

Who know's in time he may develop & prove us all wrong (except for Con ofcourse) & if he remains a Villa player then I hope he does, but as things stand right now he is rubbish! Absolutely dire!

Should never start in front of Delph. Delph is harder in the tackle and has a lot my drive. Bannan plays ambitious balls that generally lead to zero!

In the games where Bannan has started recently (Reading, QPR) he hasn't been making any. 'Hollywood' passes - he was making simple and short passes and nearly always finding his man. He's been decent recently in my opinion

Edited by roonst83

Should never start in front of Delph. Delph is harder in the tackle and has a lot my drive. Bannan plays ambitious balls that generally lead to zero!

In the games where Bannan has started recently (Reading, QPR) he hasn't been making any. 'Hollywood' passes - he was making simple and short passes and nearly always finding his man. He's been decent recently in my opinion

I wonder if Mel Gibson has ever approached Bannon with a view to starring in a Hollywood Blockbuster at anytime soon having seen  :P  his Hollywood balls? Seeing as he his Scottish, Bannan could appear in Braveheart 2. Then again maybe Mel thought better of it when he saw Bannan's shocking SET pieces & thought to himself, Nah, I don't want this liability to appear on SET. :P

Who know's in time he may develop & prove us all wrong (except for Con ofcourse) & if he remains a Villa player then I hope he does, but as things stand right now he is rubbish! Absolutely dire!

Disagree entirely. The evidence is in. Aspects of his play (movement) and the statistics.

The thing that prevents a lot of people realising earlier is they have such high expectations. Out of the current outfielders only Benteke has been consistently praised.

Weimann has been since the start of the year. I was promoting Weimann before he was in the team last autumn.

I know what will happen. When Bannan finally does something you notice you're going to say it was impossible to tell he was going to "come good" before that point, so I'm going to be portrayed as a nutter who got lucky with a guess even when you decide he's alright.

I wonder if Mel Gibson has ever approached Bannon with a view to starring in a Hollywood Blockbuster at anytime soon having seen  :P  his Hollywood balls? Seeing as he his Scottish, Bannan could appear in Braveheart 2. Then again maybe Mel thought better of it when he saw Bannan's shocking SET pieces & thought to himself, Nah, I don't want this liability to appear on SET. :P

I think occasionally you need to go for the Hollywood pass.

Disagree entirely. The evidence is in. Aspects of his play (movement) and the statistics.

The thing that prevents a lot of people realising earlier is they have such high expectations. Out of the current outfielders only Benteke has been consistently praised.

Weimann has been since the start of the year. I was promoting Weimann before he was in the team last autumn.

I know what will happen. When Bannan finally does something you notice you're going to say it was impossible to tell he was going to "come good" before that point, so I'm going to be portrayed as a nutter who got lucky with a guess even when you decide he's alright.

Con, your certainly not a nutter. If you see the potential in Barry Bannan via your statistics then good for you. At least there will be one Villa fan happy next time Bannan gets picked. Yes! I know that means 34,543 will be groaning their nuts off but we can't all be right or wrong all of the time.

As stated before I really hope you are right & would happily be the first person to shake your hand in such an event.

That said, if time proves you wrong ( & so far you are) then lets hope the movement aspect of his play results in exactly that, a move.

Con, your certainly not a nutter. If you see the potential in Barry Bannan via your statistics then good for you. At least there will be one Villa fan happy next time Bannan gets picked. Yes! I know that means 34,543 will be groaning their nuts off but we can't all be right or wrong all of the time.

As stated before I really hope you are right & would happily be the first person to shake your hand in such an event.

That said, if time proves you wrong ( & so far you are) then lets hope the movement aspect of his play results in exactly that, a move.

That's not true. There have been a number of regulars posting to this thread with a different view to yours.  They're just not bothering right now because it is so hard to get a reasoned point across, because some of the criticism is blanket "don't want to listen to anything good, because nothing is good." That's impossible to argue against.

If Bannan was on tonight i wouldnt be to disappointed.  So 34,542,

The fact of the matter is we dont have to many good midfielders so got to get behind whomever starts.