Barry Bannan

villianusa

Rave reviews continue to pour in -

More than just flight of fancy as Bannan earns Strachan stripes

MichaelGrant-wee.jpg

Michael Grant

Chief football writer

Monday 10 June 2013

IF beating Croatia in Zagreb was not enough to restore some much-needed belief in what had been a beleaguered and bruised Scotland set-up, then a small but revealing anecdote emerged after the game which should add another little layer of encouragement.

21306634.JPG

Barry Bannan had a quiet game in Zagreb but impressed manager Gordon Strachan with his efforts in training. Picture: SNS

"I was also meant to go away on a golfing holiday with some of the Villa boys this week but I cancelled that, too. Coming away and winning another cap with Scotland beats anything on a golf course."

Bannan was efficient enough on the left of the three in Strachan's 4-2-3-1 system in the Maksimir Stadium but what had been just as significant, for him, was the work he put in on Scottish and Croatian training fields in the days before the match. He caught Strachan's eye and impressed him, earning the rewards of not only a cap but a start.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/more-than-just-flight-of-fancy-as-bannan-earns-strachan-stripes.21293272

Clearly you didn't read the pic blurb that said "Bannan had a quiet game in Zagreb"

I wonder if this will sway lambert to keep him

Does Bannan want to stay? Strachan will be hinting he needs to find first team football to be a regular in the Scotland team. 

Bannan obviously has a lot of passion to play for his country so he is likely to move clubs if it means he gets to play more often. 

If he can get a start in another Premier League side then he will leave Villa. If Lambert can promise him another 15 games he might be willing to stay - but then should Villa let Bannan's value run down to zero in the final year of his contract?

Rave reviews continue to pour in -

More than just flight of fancy as Bannan earns Strachan stripes
MichaelGrant-wee.jpg
Chief football writer
Monday 10 June 2013
IF beating Croatia in Zagreb was not enough to restore some much-needed belief in what had been a beleaguered and bruised Scotland set-up, then a small but revealing anecdote emerged after the game which should add another little layer of encouragement.
21306634.JPG
Barry Bannan had a quiet game in Zagreb but impressed manager Gordon Strachan with his efforts in training. Picture: SNS

"I was also meant to go away on a golfing holiday with some of the Villa boys this week but I cancelled that, too. Coming away and winning another cap with Scotland beats anything on a golf course."

Bannan was efficient enough on the left of the three in Strachan's 4-2-3-1 system in the Maksimir Stadium but what had been just as significant, for him, was the work he put in on Scottish and Croatian training fields in the days before the match. He caught Strachan's eye and impressed him, earning the rewards of not only a cap but a start.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/more-than-just-flight-of-fancy-as-bannan-earns-strachan-stripes.21293272

Hopefully one of these 'rave reviews' finds a buyer for wee Barry.

Shame he gave the ball away so much in that game.

other than that (which was noted by Strachan) and the awful positioning, lack of world class % corners, lack of assists, he ran around a lot quite well.

I wonder if this will sway lambert to keep him

. If Lambert can promise him another 15 games he might be willing to stay - but then should Villa let Bannan's value run down to zero in the final year of his contract?

His value is already zero........................End Of! :D

"Bannan is a cross between David Beckham and Iniesta"

Obviously Con knows more than Lambert.

I didn't write that. It's written by someone pretending to be me, using text from this piece that I did write

http://forum.planetswans.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=139291&p=1749137#p1749137

i really really hope you are a wind-up, because if you aren't then you need seeing to by someone in the medical profession. if you would just stop with all this absolute bollocks and post about villa rather than website stats and bannan crap people might move on. What i have just read on the swansea forum is a mixture of comedy gold and sheer embarrassment. almost as bad as you are the sad sad people who took time out to go there and sign up and slate you on a different forum?!?! guess what you guys... no-one gives a **** about a pathetic internet arguement about Bannan

I was wondering how long it would take you to stumble across one of these paper reports. There are quite a few Scottish papers saying a similar thing. It's important to note though that not a single one praises Bannan's performance (he was awful) ... only that he looked good in training. Which again highlights the issue with him... can't perform in a pressured environment. Not strong enough.

I didn't see the game, I can't comment on Bannans performance. All I'd say is they won the game.

Same as us, when Bannan played last season generally our results were ok.

Coincidence ? I'm not a massive Bannan fan but does be somehow help a team get results ?

He really is struggling to live up to all the hype that surrounded him.

Is he overated or are we all guilty of believing the hype and raising our expectations to a level that was always going to be hard for him to attain with all the pressure that it brings?

He really is struggling to live up to all the hype that surrounded him.

Is he overated or are we all guilty of believing the hype and raising our expectations to a level that was always going to be hard for him to attain with all the pressure that it brings?

He's a creative midfielder with zero goals and one assist for the season. It's not like he's just burst onto the scene either, he made his debut in 2008. Maybe one day he'll start converting his technical ability into useful output but it seems to be a long way off at the moment.

It's a shame really, he's an academy product with good close control, he should have been ideal to dictate games for us but instead he seems to try and thread passes that aren't on and dwell on the ball and get beaten by his man very regularly. Not sure what the problem is but it seems to be decision making rather than garden variety shitfootballeritis IMO.

i really really hope you are a wind-up, because if you aren't then you need seeing to by someone in the medical profession. if you would just stop with all this absolute bollocks and post about villa rather than website stats and bannan crap people might move on. What i have just read on the swansea forum is a mixture of comedy gold and sheer embarrassment. almost as bad as you are the sad sad people who took time out to go there and sign up and slate you on a different forum?!?! guess what you guys... no-one gives a **** about a pathetic internet arguement about Bannan

No need to get angry is there?

I understand that your opinion is that anyone who thinks Bannan has talent needs to see a man in a white coat.

That's where my problem is.

I'm constantly accused of exaggeration but I've not exaggerated one little bit, certainly not said anyone who disagrees with me needs to see a psychiatrist.

Everything I've said has been based on fact. I've criticised Bannan's play as well as complimented it. How many of you have complimented as well as criticised? Yes some have, that is good, but the impression I get is the middle ground in this discussion not being sought.

I post a lot to other threads.

This thread isn't really a big deal for me. I'm just posting the facts as I interpret them.

You are posting your opinion and stats

I'm just posting the facts as I interpret them.

No, no you aren't and that is part of the problem.

You are posting stats as you interpret them and using them to support your opinion. Now there is nothing wrong with that but it really isn't the same thing as posting facts.

• Like 1

No need to get angry is there?

I understand that your opinion is that anyone who thinks Bannan has talent needs to see a man in a white coat.

That's where my problem is.

I'm constantly accused of exaggeration but I've not exaggerated one little bit, certainly not said anyone who disagrees with me needs to see a psychiatrist.

Everything I've said has been based on fact. I've criticised Bannan's play as well as complimented it. How many of you have complimented as well as criticised? Yes some have, that is good, but the impression I get is the middle ground in this discussion not being sought.

I post a lot to other threads.

This thread isn't really a big deal for me. I'm just posting the facts as I interpret them.

oh how I've just laughed, this post should've been in Off-Topic in the jokes thread surely????