Barry Bannan

villianusa

I'm amazed how much stick Con gets for being (okay: delusionally, obsessively) pro-Bannan, when so many people post equally delusional negative posts about the manager and players and so often nobody says a word.

I mean whatever, but personally I'd much rather read posts that are overly positive than overly negative, and it seems to me there are a lot more of those going around.

i think its because its unbelievable biased and at this stage pro-Bannan propaganda, If he was a bit measured in his praise instead of making up BS about type 2 hoofs and heat maps then people would leave him alone

Still waiting for a simply answer to a very simple question I've asked 3 times now Con.

No Bannan hasn't been a captain yet. That doesn't prove he can't be a captain. As I said, Clark was captain. No reason for Bannan to be a captain too.

Now see that wasn't so hard was it but you did your very best to avoid answering the question.

You are right, the fact he hasn't been a captain yet doesn't mean he can't be but it does rather mean that he perhaps hasn't shown the required character or leadership to be a captain. Wouldn't you say?

You make it sound like Bannan has only played for Villa, yet he played for Celtic at youth level, Derby, Blackpool, Leeds, Villa, Scotland Under 21's and Scotland. Yet he has never captained a side which you now finally admit.

So I'm curious to know what you see in him, given that you've stated several times you don't know him personally, that a whole load of managers seemingly haven't recognised in him.

And don't say he hasn't been a captain due to age because that just doesn't cut it.

Why would he captain a side where he was on loan? That doesn't make sense at all, so out of your list of clubs only two are possibly relevant.

We don't know for sure whether he was or wasn't captain in Celtic youth. Not an expert on his history. 

Bannan doesn't have

- Pace

- Power

- Heading

Bannan does have (on his best form)

- world class crossing

- world class set pieces

- superb playmaking

- excellent tempo-setting passing "spreading the play"

- great ball control

- great positioning awareness (e.g. run up to goal against Reading where he was only one moving in the penalty area)

- decent skill moves

Bannan is not bad at but could improve

- Tackling

In sum, Bannan is a continental style footballer which are rarely produced in UK. The only reason we think he's not so good is because this continental style footballer is attempting to play in a non-continental league, which is much harder, takes much more time. Once he does, the potential will be realised.

You seem to be mistaken in thinking your opinion that he has these things makes it fact that he does yet very very few people would agree with you, including it would seem every manager that he has played under.

Bannan world class passer............world class tosser more like LOL.

MON wanted him binned yet he has still managed to con (no pun intended) a living at VP for 3 extra years. Well son sonny I hope your mom and dad are proud!

Cons thread is class in a glass..............no where else will you find such remarkable entertainment.

I admire Con immensely for both his ingenuity & evasiveness in equal measures.

Fun aside I do also believe that Con is doing Bannan a massive disservice however by highlighting Bannans true weaknesses as purportedly world class as this has thrown the spotlight on Bannan & undermined him as a pure liability & if it wasn't for this thread then Bannan may have simply been allowed to fade away into obscurity with the minimum of fuss & without anybody actually noticing he was no longer at the club.

Even I would admit to having sympathy for Bannan in this situation.

However, my opinion remains 100% diametrically opposed to Con & the bottom line remains Bannan is easily the worst ever Villa player that I have ever seen!

Bannan does have (on his best form)

- great positioning awareness (e.g. run up to goal against Reading where he was only one moving in the penalty area)

You do realise you are using an example of him scuffing a sitter onto the post as an example of why he is 'world class', right?

It's **** funny isn't it.

Also, he was in the right place at the right time once in 4 years... therefore it's an established attribute of his.

Words can not express just how left field con is.

When I describe one of my buddies to another person I would say that he has insane finishing skills and an exceptional eye for a goal. The thing is that he plays in the Norwegian 4th division, so if he was playing higher up in the system he would be branded as utterly crap. Bannan would probably be a world-class player if he played in League 1 (not so sure actually...) - but to say he has exception and world-class this and that is just ignorant and delusional. The man has no world-class potential in any department, first and foremost because he spends the entire match looking for the ball. The best midfielders seem to have all the time in the world on the ball, just remember Ronaldinho who always managed to have 10 yards on anybody even though they knew he was the one to beat. Bannan, and El Ahmadi is the same, has no time on the ball because he is always closed down. Sure he can make a decent pass every once in a while, but his end-product is zero. My main impression this season is that Bannan carries the ball 40 yards outside the other teams' box and then he never knows what to do. This often ends up in a lumped pass/shot that seldom creates danger, and thus he is nowhere to be seen because he isn't good enough.

World-class passing and set-pieces? Are you kidding me? Charlie Adam had world-class set-pieces one season for Blackpool, I think everyone will agree pretty much on that, and then he sealed his move to Liverpool after ditching us. When he lost that ability he just became known for his stationary and slow play. Basically what Barry Bannan is now, although Adam is ahead because he has a bit more goals in him if you look at his stats. Bannan has awful stats, and we know that if you are world-class at set-pieces your team will score goals and you will have tons of assists. No matter how crap your team is at chasing corners, they will over time get more goals because of the delivery. He lumps his corners every time, it is the easiest way to defend for the other team. I would counter your description by saying he has below average ability in terms of both passing and set-pieces. Showing me a statistic of him making 99% of all his passing means absolutely nothing when most of them are short passes to team-mates because he is afraid of doing anything on his own.

most of them are short passes to team-mates because he is afraid of doing anything on his own.

To be fair...he does Hollywood balls all the time. These days less, but under McL he did it all the **** time and it was awful.

I understand why you think I'm "insanely supportive of Bannan" but if you go back over the content of my posts I have been very critical too, mostly at the times when I'm not deliberately correcting guesses people make about his playing record.

What's happened in this thread, some people won't hear anything good about Bannan so anyone with something, anything, good to say is, compared to them, "insanely supportive". In fact, that person is the one with the level-headed reasonable argument.

I've not said Bannan is consistently world class. Nowhere have I said that. It's a mystery why people are constantly attributing that belief to me. It's like they want someone to believe that and stand for it because they're not prepared themselves to say it.

I don't believe Bannan is world class - yet. Perhaps he never will be. I think he can be, but thinking something isn't a claim of what is actually true right now. I think Gary Gardner will be world class. Same logic applies.

BTW it's interesting that since yesterday we have learned Bannan captained Villa side against the Portland Timbers. Yes, only a friendly, but it really wasn't a ridiculous suggestion at all that I made, and yet the reaction that claim got was excessively negative. I'm not saying Bannan should be captain, just that if things went well he might end up as one. Nothing crazy about this suggestion.

Dear Con.

Didn't you say Aston Villa would get relegated if he didn't play more games? And something about being good enough for a champions league club. I also remember something about world class crossing and set pieces and comparatives to xavi and iniesta. (just a top of my head, so I might be wrong about some of these claims)

When you first started posting here, your posts were good and very reasonable, and you truly did point out some positives about Bannan. But then it just turned into ramblings of a madman and you lost all credibility, making ridiculous claims about Barry Bannan and his abilities using stats in a rather pathetic way to back up your argument.

Worst part is, that your post in other threads usually are quite good. Unless Bannan somehow gets involved and it all turns into madness again.

• Like 3

I understand why you think I'm "insanely supportive of Bannan" but if you go back over the content of my posts I have been very critical too, mostly at the times when I'm not deliberately correcting guesses people make about his playing record.

What's happened in this thread, some people won't hear anything good about Bannan so anyone with something, anything, good to say is, compared to them, "insanely supportive". In fact, that person is the one with the level-headed reasonable argument.

I've not said Bannan is consistently world class. Nowhere have I said that. It's a mystery why people are constantly attributing that belief to me. It's like they want someone to believe that and stand for it because they're not prepared themselves to say it.

I don't believe Bannan is world class - yet. Perhaps he never will be. I think he can be, but thinking something isn't a claim of what is actually true right now. I think Gary Gardner will be world class. Same logic applies.

BTW it's interesting that since yesterday we have learned Bannan captained Villa side against the Portland Timbers. Yes, only a friendly, but it really wasn't a ridiculous suggestion at all that I made, and yet the reaction that claim got was excessively negative. I'm not saying Bannan should be captain, just that if things went well he might end up as one. Nothing crazy about this suggestion.

Con?.............If you read my posts you will also find consistency too. I have always maintained that Bannan is a total liability. I have never ever claimed though or at least implied that Bannan is world class. However I have now decided that yes, you are right, Bannan is indeed potentially world class, but not I may add, in the way that you imply.

No. Bannan is world class alright. World class in being crap! :D:P:)

Dear Con.

Didn't you say Aston Villa would get relegated if he didn't play more games? And something about being good enough for a champions league club. I also remember something about world class crossing and set pieces and comparatives to xavi and iniesta. (just a top of my head, so I might be wrong about some of these claims)

When you first started posting here, your posts were good and very reasonable, and you truly did point out some positives about Bannan. But then it just turned into ramblings of a madman and you lost all credibility, making ridiculous claims about Barry Bannan and his abilities using stats in a rather pathetic way to back up your argument.

Worst part is, that you post in other threads usually are quite good. Unless Bannan somehow gets involved and it all turns into madness again.

If you let other peoples' recollections tell you what I've said then I will appear to have an opinion that is a caricature of a real opinion.

Actually, I've never compared his ability to Xavi or Iniesta. I compared his style of play to Iniesta. In the same sentence I compared Westwood to Xavi. Nobody picks up on that.

I did not say he was good enough for a champions league club. Go back to the discussion page 117 or 171. I said he was not at that level now.

I did think we would be relegated if we changed the winning system - we had won 2 games in a row, and looked like winning all the winnable games with Bannan in the side. I've said I was wrong about that. Obviously I was.

Bannan is capable of world class form on crossing and set pieces. You have published media admitting basically the same thing. This is not just me. Click the links in my sig line.

Again, I'm not saying anything outlandish. Some people like to reinterpret my measured and balanced opinion - I have criticisms too - into a more entertaining caricature. 

People go mad because you use stats incorrectly with no semblance of context or basis. None worse than the points per game "statistic" which proves jack shit.

You can "claim" things all you want, but when you start trotting out stats as "fact" even though they prove nothing more than it is difficult to use stats for football without context, then people take offense.

Edited by Kwan
  • Like 2