Barry Bannan

villianusa

We have FOR 31 and AGAINST 56

With Delph playing(16 of 30 games)  FOR 13 and AGAINST 21 and he wasn't playing in the 8-0 Chelsea debacle.

So we score less than a goal a game with Delph playing and more than without. Like I thought.

Stats like that are just bollocks. This forum has become very stat driven recently and quite frankly it's all just crap. Football isn't about stats and never will be. Had Delph played in the 8-0 Chelsea game it may have been 12-0. We may have won 12-1. Who knows.

Edited by PieFacE

So after back-to-back wins it seems Delph's stock has risen and Bannan's has dropped.

Incredible...

This is ridiculous. I would argue that neither player's stock have altered at all over the last two games. I think people's opinion of Bannan have been informed over the whole season as opposed to the last two games.

We have FOR 31 and AGAINST 56

With Delph playing(16 of 30 games)  FOR 13 and AGAINST 21 and he wasn't playing in the 8-0 Chelsea debacle.

So we score less than a goal a game with Delph playing and more than without. Like I thought.

Delph was in the team for the 0-5 at home to Spurs.

Stats like that are just bollocks. This forum has become very stat driven recently and quite frankly it's all just crap. Football isn't about stats and never will be. Had Delph played in the 8-0 Chelsea game it may have been 12-0. We may have won 12-1. Who knows.

Almost all stats that the football public will have access too are utter bollocks simply because the huge number of variables that can affect a result. The only stats which are important are the ones which the manager is assessing to improve results... as an example a stat showing that he has managed to get Bannan to hit 5% of his passes long instead of 75%... another example getting N'Zogbia to run 10 miles per game instead of 2. These stats to us would be meaningless, but to Lambert it would show that the players are following his instructions and taking heed of his tactics.

If football stats were simple enough to state where teams, or players, were going wrong it would be readily available in the public domain and Gary Neville would be out of a job. However it isn't... maybe a company like Opta might have a program which can drill down enough levels through enough algorithms to be able to data mine all information received and find which variables are important to end results given certain situations though it would cost a fortune and all websites that produce "two dimensional" stats with very little context simply aren't up to the job.

I'm an analyst by trade and so you'd have thought I'd be interested in all of these stats which are floating around various websites but instead I despair at people who are trying to use them to prove a point because there is no way you can definitively state one way or another whether they are meaningful to an argument. The best way of analysing a player is by using your eyes and making an informed decision.

Statistically, Bannan doesn't deserve the stick he gets on here.

When I watch him he isn't good enough. When I see the stats for him he isn't good enough. I put my weight behind my eyes not the stats, but either way statistically or non-statistically he isn't good enough. I've never given the chap stick... only ever stated he isn't good enough for a top 10 team, which is where Villa should be every season. Simples.

Im not a bannan fan but i think he has been okay in the last couple of games. I would start him again on the weekend. we have won the last two so if it aint broke dont fix it. most of lamberts problems this season have been down to his constant arsing about with sytems and personel.

Boss Paul Lambert today called on Barry Bannan to avoid the comfort zone and hailed the midfielder’s part in Aston Villa's revival

“I had a chat with Barry and he’s responded in a really good way. This is Barry’s first real sustained season of being in the first team for long periods, then being in and out.

“Sometimes you need to do that to young players to take them out and give them a break – then put them back in and get the impetus from that"

Paul Lambert has praised Barry Bannan for bouncing back from the disappointment of being dropped to help Villa achieve the winning double that has promised to save their season.

Part of the reason for Bannan’s omission was to overcome a slight hip problem that he picked up in training, but asked how the player had reacted to being left out, Lambert joked: “I don’t listen to him – I lock my door!

Lambert felt it was important to rest Bannan to ensure the Bodymoor Heath academy graduate had the freshness to cope with the demands of his longest concerted run of first-team football.

“He has never been out of the reckoning. He got the injury a couple of weeks ago in training, a little problem with his hip, but he’s over it now.”

• 2 weeks later...

This guy is a **** liability. He is useless. He can't deliver a ball well and he is constantly giving it away 30 yards from goal. Twice in half an hour against Liverpool he is nearly cost us a goal.

Anyone who thinks this guy can make it in the PL is a **** idiot.

• Like 1

I'm sitting here and we are beating Liverpool at half time. I should be **** ecstatic about the prospect of our season coming ever so close to being saved.

Instead I am sitting **** fuming because this **** useless clearing in the woods keeps **** up to such an extent that it could very well cost us our place in the Premier League. This second half is going to be harder for the simple fact Bannan is still playing.

4 minutes into the second half and he has now given the ball away 3 times in incredibly dangerous places which have nearly cost us dear each time.

On top of that his crossing from deep has been about as dangerous as a daisy and his corners are the same as the whole season. **** useless.

If you are a Villa supporter Bannan you will announce your retirement from the game today. If you can't do that, then go join Birmingham.