Barry Bannan

villianusa

If I recall correctly, he asked to go because he'd been told he had to play for a German club to get in the national side. Or am I just dreaming that?

About half right, he was benched by dolly at the start of the 04/05 season, he had just broken into the national team though and needed to play in order to stay there for the world cup in 06 in germany, we offered him a contract but he wasnt playing, then he signed for stutgard.

He's just bad. Saying 'we scored most of our points with Bannan on the pitch' proves only one thing - Lambert likes him. He's played Bannan 17 times in the league, including 14 starts, which is more than any of our other midfielders apart from Holman. So what? It's one of many things Lambert has got wrong. If anything, as one of our most regular midfield starters we should be asking why Bannan hasn't made more of an impact on our season (hint: it's because he's shit).

You say 14 starts. But only 5 times has the match he has started resulted in a loss. 8 times we have won or drawn.

Bannan started all 4 wins this season.

That's not saying he's Xavi, but it's not a coincidence either.

Edited by Con

I do not mind Bannan, imo he is one of the best in a not so great midfield bunch...but if we get anywhere close to 4-5mill for him and were to replace with someone like say a Derek Boateng or a Momo Sissoko (who can't get a game at PSG), then I would snap the buyers hand off for that.

But it doesn't prove he is a good player either.

Nope it doesn't, but I think he is - he's good enough to be starting for us at the moment at the very least and is for me the best of our midfielders this season, just pipping Westwood.

Bannan has been both criticised and supported with stats in this thread, but I'm not sure either prove the point - he's open to interpretation and I can see why people have criticised him this season. For me though, he's the one of our midfield most likely to be clearing things up around our back four, he's the one who's coming to get the ball and starting things off, he's the one who wants the ball, and our most positive influence in midfield and he's the one most likely to play a pass that will hurt the opposition.

You could probably take that as a criticism of the state of our midfield as a whole, but I think it's been true whenever he's played.

It's not my intention to prove that. That's Bannan's job.

I'm saying he should be first pick unless/until we get someone better because we can prove he is better than.

Where I completely part ways with the haters, I don't know what we would do without Bannan.

We'd have zero points, probably.

Ireland

El Ahmadi

Delph

Are not alternatives.

There are two midfield spots. Unless you frankenclone Westwood - if you think he's the best - Bannan it is.

Edited by Con

You say 14 starts. But only 5 times has the match he has started resulted in a loss. 8 times we have won or drawn.

Bannan started all 4 wins this season.

That's not saying he's Xavi, but it's not a coincidence either.

Exactly, it just proves he played a lot. Any player that plays more than the rest is probably going to be there when we pick up points, statistically speaking. Our season's been poor so far and there's no worthwhile correlation to speak of between players and points, especially since we have so few of the latter. Edited by Laivasse

He has a good range of passing, and sometimes can see a Hollywood opportunity that 9 times out of 10 the other talent that we have fail to see anyway.

But, the floated corners, the long field balls that are over hit, his strength, tracking back, lack of goal scoring & assists... All outweigh the semi-positive. Get rid. He hasn't made it. No time for sentiment as we are garbage at the moment.

I don't understand all the hate for Barry in here. He hasn't performed very well lately, but neither has anyone in the whole squad.

The team needs a talisman and that, in the absence of anyone else, is Barry Bannan. This is all the more surprising because he hasn't had any highlight reel moments this season.

Always there. Like the team mascot.

He, Lichaj, Lowtan, Guzan and Clark have been on the park for all four victories we've had. Swansea, Sunderland, Reading, Liverpool.

Lichaj is another player who is underrated. Like Bannan I wouldn't over-rate him but he is underrated and should be starting every match. His lack of pace doesn't seem to affect the results we have.

Just heard of Forest's interest in Bannan. To be honest, i'd snap their hands of for 2m+.

Just isn't good enough for me. But then i'd probably say the same for our whole midfield to be honest. Think we need a new midfield full stop.

Just heard of Forest's interest in Bannan. To be honest, i'd snap their hands of for 2m+.

Just isn't good enough for me. But then i'd probably say the same for our whole midfield to be honest. Think we need a new midfield full stop.

LOL. I wouldn't sell him for £20m.

Don't ask me to justify that. My opinion.

Edited by Con

LOL. I wouldn't sell him for £20m.

Don't ask me to justify that. My opinion.

I was with you, more or less, up until this point.

I quite like Barry. I think he's had his ups and downs but he's OK, you know. He's good enough for a lower mid table premier league side in my opinion, which is what we are aspiring to be come May.

20m though? Come on man. You're not helping yourself there. As things stand I'd take £5m for him because I think we can do with something a little different and finances are tight. Just the way it is. Westwood is equally adept at playing his role, especially if we had proper protection for him. We need a Tiote, **** big time.