Barry Bannan

villianusa

Good performance yesterday and for me MOTM, based on what he did second half. First half seemed to dwell on the ball a bit. Still made a couple of rash/speculative decisions rather than playing the simnple pass, but seemed to grow in stature as the game wore on. Still think he looks more comfortable in the middle than out wide, but I suppose it helps his learning curve. Obviously not the same kind of player, but it never did GB any harm playing on the wing.

Showed a lot of calmness and belief in his ability with the penalty.

Sir Alex Ferguson is monitoring the progress of pint sized Aston Villa midfielder Barry Bannan with a view to a possible move for the determined youngster. The Man United boss has been impressed by the Scottish international’s performances this term and has assigned scouts to keep an eye on the 21 year old in the coming months.

Ferguson has adopted a policy of bringing in young talent to merge with those coming through Man United’s own academy system to help produce a new generation of players he will hope can help continue the club’s domestic dominance and help make the transition from his old guard to a new era as seamless as possible.

Over the past 18 months the Premier League champions have signed the likes of Javier Hernandez, David de Gea, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones and now the wily Scot has his eye on Aidrie born Bannan who moved to Villa Park as a 14 year old from Celtic.

After a couple of seasons plying his trade on loan at Derby County, Blackpool and Leeds United, Bannan has benefited from the appointment of Alex McLeish as Aston Villa boss with the former Rangers and Birmingham City boss showing faith in the fiery youngster this season.

Ferguson may feel he could do with the addition of the adaptable midfielder, not least as he could add further strength in depth and because a number of Man United’s options across the midfield are getting on in years. Michael Carrick, Ji Sung-Park and Ryan Giggs are all 30 years and over and it is believed that Darron Gibson is likely to leave Old Trafford in January.

Caught-offside

Oh ffs. I wouldnt be surprised to be honest. Anybody with half a brain can see he oozes class.

And to think a large amount of posters on here think hes shite. A facepalm just cannot begin to describe the fail...

Bannan's really promising. Still not totally there with decision-making - i.e. when to try the first-time clever pass or beat the player and when it's best to just play it simple and hold onto it - but certainly in the 2nd half yesterday showed what he can do. The through-ball for Delph was the pick and I do like that he has the confidence to step up and score a penalty, placing into the corner where it's almost impossible to save rather than just hitting as hard as he can.

With him and Ireland in the team, there is hope that we can actually play some football if we manage to keep it on the ground.

I'm certainly not as sure about Bannan's ability as some on here. The first half he was very poor and second half he did well. All in all a 6 or 7 out of 10 performance. Nothing more.

The freekick was a good one but not spectacular (not right in the corner) and he scored a penalty which most players should anyway.

Jury still out although he has potential.

I know that was probably said in jest Maqroll, but I've been championing wee Barry's cause since the Oneill days, and (more than anyone else) if he were to be sold, then this'd be my last season ticket. Don't ask me why, but that would be the last straw.

Can pass and shoot, but must never ever play on the wing. He just hasn't got a clue out there.

A luxury player and one we can't afford to carry at the moment. Sorry.

He will not be going to an English "big club". Maybe Celtic/ Rangers. Will not leave us for another Prem team.

Agree he is not a winger but then again neither is he a 'luxury player' unless you class luxury as somebody who can play the ball forward and has an eye for goal. He's got the right attitude and ran his socks off yesterday.

I wouldn't be so sure where he will play next either as he still has many years of development ahead of him.

Unlucky to be taken off as I thought we were more comfortable with him helping us keep the ball. Excellent penalty and good free-kick in the first half think he is well on the way to cementing a place in the side for a while yet.

he took a knock unfortunately.

Oh ok fair do's, didn't think he looked too happy in coming off but suppose that is a sign of his character.

I know that was probably said in jest Maqroll, but I've been championing wee Barry's cause since the Oneill days, and (more than anyone else) if he were to be sold, then this'd be my last season ticket. Don't ask me why, but that would be the last straw.

Half-jest :P

Let's face it, if Bannan has a monster season, would you put money on him staying with us? I wouldn't.

Can pass and shoot, but must never ever play on the wing. He just hasn't got a clue out there.

He will not be going to an English "big club". Maybe Celtic/ Rangers. Will not leave us for another Prem team.

Agree he is not a winger but then again neither is he a 'luxury player' unless you class luxury as somebody who can play the ball forward and has an eye for goal. He's got the right attitude and ran his socks off yesterday.

I wouldn't be so sure where he will play next either as he still has many years of development ahead of him.

I'd play him upfront with Bent. We might have the Scottish Messi on our hands.

Looking like a good player. However I'm not overly confident yet...Only have to look at Albrighton to see how young players form can dip.

Bannan has a lot more defensive discipline to his game and seems a more confident type of guy as Albrighton seems like a shy guy

I'd play him upfront with Bent. We might have the Scottish Messi on our hands.

We don't. He don't have pace, can't go past players.

He's a creative player. I'd play him, deserves to be in the team above others, just hard to pin a position down for him.