Barry Bannan

villianusa

You've basically exactly agreed with Houllier's appraisal of Bannan. That he rushes his play at times and needs to slow it down and be more considered. That is purely a coaching issue.

So I have, didn't read it until after. As I said I'm hopeful, I'm a fan of his and have been for some time. I'm just not ready to label him the second coming as yet. And the biggest problem he will face is the amount of talent we have in his position.

Is Bannan good with long range shots?

I've seen him hit a couple of good ones.

His shots aren't like Kolarov's rockets, but if he hits it properly, he can get it right in the top corner at a decent-enough speed.

If you have AVTV, watch some of the reserve games from last season. His game again Man Utd (when we won 4-1, I think) was pretty good. He scored a hattrick.

Barry'sboots, it is quite tricky.. knowing who to put where!

Here are my assessments:

Bradley - he appears to be athletic, energetic, a man-mountain battler, he can also score and pass (but not as accurately, I wouldn't have thought, as Bannan/ Delph/ Young)

Makoun - as above: athletic, energetic, an excellent range of passing, small in stature.

Delph - good at everything except for tackling (for now), his main ability, imo, is his ability on the ball. He can run in circles with the ball glued to his boot. He also has an eye for goal.

Bannan - good passing, good left footed shot, good football brain, not the strongest in the tackle but for what he lacks he makes up with his energy.

I personally think that if we're playing a 4-1-2-3 (ala Arsenal) that Bradley would suit being the defensive midfielder with Makoun & Delph or Bannan with him. Bradley to break up the opposition, Makoun & one of the kids to forge attacks and take the odd shot at goal.

If we were to play a 4-2-3-1 then I think Makoun & Bradley would both be good as the "defensive 2" with Bannan in the hole, but if we're playing easier teams (10th place and lower) I think that Delph could partner Makoun or Bradley in the middle and we would have a lot of attacking options available, all over the pitch.

I haven't seen enough of Gardner to know where he is best suited. I've heard a lot of praise but I've only seen short clips and a few reserve games.

He's the youngest and, apparantly, one of the most promising! I can't wait to see the youth flourish, I just hope we can hang on to them!!

In regards to holding on to them i truly believe that being practically forced into blooding them all at once would have helped greatly. A lot of these players could have been together for a long while now coming through the ranks together. Lichaj (havent seen much of him recently?), Clark, Fonz, Albrighton, Bannan, Delph, Gardner, [yes not all have come through our ranks but they would have been in youth/reserves together and all making the step up within the same season or two to first team]. It could really help in keeping onto them. THe fact GH has brought them all in aswell after many would have been peeved by MON could also help as they could a) listento GH when he asks them not to leave. B) worry that if they go elsewhere (a bigger club) they will rot on the bench/reserves as backup.

Doesn't get much better than playing with your mates week in week out for a top 6 PL side.

In regards to holding on to them i truly believe that being practically forced into blooding them all at once would have helped greatly. A lot of these players could have been together for a long while now coming through the ranks together. Lichaj (havent seen much of him recently?), Clark, Fonz, Albrighton, Bannan, Delph, Gardner, [yes not all have come through our ranks but they would have been in youth/reserves together and all making the step up within the same season or two to first team]. It could really help in keeping onto them. THe fact GH has brought them all in aswell after many would have been peeved by MON could also help as they could a) listento GH when he asks them not to leave. B) worry that if they go elsewhere (a bigger club) they will rot on the bench/reserves as backup.

Doesn't get much better than playing with your mates week in week out for a top 6 PL side.

How many can you see developing into first teamers though. Look at Bannan, 21 i think. Bit of a breakthrough season for him and then we go and sign two more central midfielders in the January transfer window. He also competing against Delph coming back from injury. Hes shown signs of promise but cant really hold his own in a central midfield spot.

Id figure that he'd be wanting to play regular first team football by the age of 23. If we dont lose Petrov in the summer im not sure i can see that happening. He could also be competing with Gary Gardener for game time.

Personally i can see him doing a Cahill/Gardener.

How many can you see developing into first teamers though. Look at Bannan, 21 i think. Bit of a breakthrough season for him and then we go and sign two more central midfielders in the January transfer window. He also competing against Delph coming back from injury. Hes shown signs of promise but cant really hold his own in a central midfield spot.

Id figure that he'd be wanting to play regular first team football by the age of 23. If we dont lose Petrov in the summer im not sure i can see that happening. He could also be competing with Gary Gardener for game time.

Well with reo coker likely leaving in the summer and petrov getting older, i think he should be able to get a look in. By the end of next season i'd expect most the youth to be higher up in the packing order than petrov

Got to say I completely disagree. I think by the time he is 24/25 we will be fighting bids away for him. But only if he can overcome his physical stature. Really think he can run games for us and with a shot like that fantastic ACM.

I see Clark making it as a utility player possibly not our fulltime CD, possibly but can't see it myself. Will be a great backup/starter for some games though so definitely in the squad.

Albrighton has already made it in my eyes.

Delph will make it if he can overcome his injuries, one of the most promising footballers in the country until his injury, he will make it.

Fonz I think still has something to proove if he isnt going to be given a run of games next season he needs to go on loan to proove he can do it, but I think he can make it from what I've seen. Hes one of the youngest of the bunch dont forget.

Gardner admittedly, i havent seen, but from what Ive heard hes very promisiing and a hand in 4 goals vs Arsenal Reserves bodes well for me. People clamouring for him to be brought through next season - when that happened with Super Marc i was very impressed.

Back to Bannan. I think he can make it if he can accommodate his height and strength.

Back to Bannan. I think he can make it if he can accommodate his height and strength.

I hope that he can make it with us. Every now and then though I wonder what will happen when Celtic or Rangers come calling, if they haven't already. I think he will be a better player than Shaun Maloney and of course he has already proven by the length of time he has been with us that he doesn't have to live with his family in Scotland.

Most people are assuming that Bradley and Makoun will patrol midfield against Fulham saturday, but I have a feeling Bannan will get a chance to play with Makoun, based on the fact that Bannan played outstanding against them last time out (remember the long cross to Albrighton?? Brilliant!). Id actually be very interested to see this partnership.

Most people are assuming that Bradley and Makoun will patrol midfield against Fulham saturday, but I have a feeling Bannan will get a chance to play with Makoun, based on the fact that Bannan played outstanding against them last time out (remember the long cross to Albrighton?? Brilliant!). Id actually be very interested to see this partnership.

Same.. might be lightweight but can probably throw on reo coker aswell or something.

Is Bannan good with long range shots?

lies the answer.

Ho-Lee ****!

My thoughts exactly. It wasn't just the shot, it was the way he trapped and controlled the ball before volleying it. Serious skills.

I'd send him out on loan to a Premiership team for whole of next season willing to give him games, problem is, I'm not sure who'd take him, apart Blackpool maybe if Adam goes and Blackpool do stay up.

Only way he's going to get better is regular games and experience but not sure he's quite ready to be doing that for Villa though. Be patient, might take couple years but I think he'll be there in a couple years.

I'd send him out on loan to a Premiership team for whole of next season willing to give him games, problem is, I'm not sure who'd take him, apart Blackpool maybe if Adam goes and Blackpool do stay up.

Only way he's going to get better is regular games and experience but not sure he's quite ready to be doing that for Villa though. Be patient, might take couple years but I think he'll be there in a couple years.

I don't think he's that far away from being fairly regular starter here. I think he'll look better with players around him, this season he's been playing alongside inexperienced and injured players, not ideal. I don't think he'll be first choice next season, but he might get his fair share of games if he works hard in the summer and improves his game.

He needs complete licence to work magic. He needs two solid CMs behind him for protection. It's pretty clear GH favourite formation is 4-2-3-1. I would prefer Bannan playing in Ash position with ASh back on the wing.

Completely agree.

Would love to see this sometime soon.

-----------------------Bent------------------------

Young--------------Bannan--------------Downing

--------------Bradley-----Makoun----------------