Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Arsenal = no money.... are you sure!? One of the few clubs to turn a profit!? WIth Arseshavings out the door maybe!?

Can you really see Arsenal spending 10/15m + on either Young or Downing?

Let me rephrase this, can you see Arsenal buying an English player?

(Bar Walcott)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's keeping his options open. If we get a decent manager in and some top players who can do the business he will see that what he was promised has come true.

If he kept quiet 2 weeks ago then this would be going down with us lot as negative as it is.

I hope he stays. Cannot lose both him and Ashley in one summer. I warmed to the idea of Stu,Marc and N'Zogiba being our wide men next season let it be :).

Also he needs to look at Milner and just see that the grass isn't always greener.

Me be understandin' a player not wantin' to be ere' and gettin' all teary eyed n' wellin' up at the Champions League Anthem n' the caa'ching of is bank account, (they only be avin' short careers n' all) but...........................................:bang:

Be from this.....

MAY 11th

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/05/11/aston-villa-stewart-downing-happy-to-stay-on-at-fantastic-club-97319-28677101/

“I’m enjoying my stay here. I’ve enjoyed it since the first day I came. It’s a terrific football club. It’s fantastic they want me.

“There’s terrific players. I’m confident, despite this season, we’re going in the right direction and if we get the right players in then I’m happy.

“The important thing in football is, if you’re happy, then why change it?

“I know it’s been a disappointing season, but I can see the bigger picture.”

To This......

JUNE 1st

'

I've still got two years to go, so I've still got a long time to go, so I just decided to leave it as it is.

'Will I be at Villa next season? I'm not sure.

'If I don't move and I stay, I'll get on with the job as normal. I'll do my best and give 100%.

'It's up to THEIR fans and THEIR opinions of me. If they want to be loud and clear with what they think of me, then that's fine.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1392924/Stewart-Downing-unsure-Aston-Villa-future.html

(future apologies for quotin' thee Daily Hitler but it be quotes from a press conference mind)

Maybe it be a ploy to ensure he be playin' for a reinforced villa side or it be quite plausible that conversely he be anglin' to make an untenable putrid situation whereby fans be forcin' im' to walk the plank n' poor lickkle stewy be avin' no alternative! Both would involve a iota of grey matter n' future think mind :?

Either way he be lily livered I be pacin' ere' thinkin' he be easily lead.................

Castin' me mind back to Middlesbrough days..... squawkin' to verbally 'sign a contract' only for is' agent to be retortin' a lil' later "Arhhh He never be signin' a contract"

Arsenal = no money.... are you sure!? One of the few clubs to turn a profit!? WIth Arseshavings out the door maybe!?

Can you really see Arsenal spending 10/15m + on either Young or Downing?

Let me rephrase this, can you see Arsenal buying an English player?

(Bar Walcott)

Yes. I think Arsenal's behaviour in this transfer window will not be typical of what we've come to expect of them, necessitated by their consistent failures in the league. I'd expect them also to be in the running to sign Bolton's English CB, Gary Cahill.

The speed of Downing's about-turn, going from committing to a side that might get relegated, to being unsure of his future at a club that finished strongly and in mid-table security, and that he was being advised by his agent to do so, tells me that he was probably tapped up.

Though I'm not for a moment suggesting that the tapping up of the player was done by any club I might have mentioned earlier in this post, obviously *cough*.

Me be understandin' a player not wantin' to be ere' and gettin' all teary eyed n' wellin' up at the Champions League Anthem n' the caa'ching of is bank account, (they only be avin' short careers n' all) but...........................................:bang:

Be from this.....

MAY 11th

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/05/11/aston-villa-stewart-downing-happy-to-stay-on-at-fantastic-club-97319-28677101/

“I’m enjoying my stay here. I’ve enjoyed it since the first day I came. It’s a terrific football club. It’s fantastic they want me.

“There’s terrific players. I’m confident, despite this season, we’re going in the right direction and if we get the right players in then I’m happy.

“The important thing in football is, if you’re happy, then why change it?

“I know it’s been a disappointing season, but I can see the bigger picture.”

To This......

JUNE 1st

'

I've still got two years to go, so I've still got a long time to go, so I just decided to leave it as it is.

'Will I be at Villa next season? I'm not sure.

'If I don't move and I stay, I'll get on with the job as normal. I'll do my best and give 100%.

'It's up to THEIR fans and THEIR opinions of me. If they want to be loud and clear with what they think of me, then that's fine.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1392924/Stewart-Downing-unsure-Aston-Villa-future.html

(future apologies for quotin' thee Daily Hitler but it be quotes from a press conference mind)

Maybe it be a ploy to ensure he be playin' for a reinforced villa side or it be quite plausible that conversely he be anglin' to make an untenable putrid situation whereby fans be forcin' im' to walk the plank n' poor lickkle stewy be avin' no alternative! Both would involve a iota of grey matter n' future think mind :?

Either way he be lily livered I be pacin' ere' thinkin' he be easily lead.................

Castin' me mind back to Middlesbrough days..... squawkin' to verbally 'sign a contract' only for is' agent to be retortin' a lil' later "Arhhh He never be signin' a contract"

When Downing gave the quotes he did I actually said at the time I suspected he would still be off. To be fair to him we were still battling relegation and I guess he would have abused royally and not played for us in the remaining games if he had said at that time he was considering his options.

Cant blame Downing on this one at all. It is only righ for top quality players to want the best for their careers and to look around and ask why they are at Villa.

I guess I have just got used to it and come to the realisation of where we are as a club and others have not

Another Milner in my opinion! Playing for an average team and plucked from despair and turned into an England starter only to **** us over and bugger off at the first opportunity.

In his case, Downing is worse because he was crocked and we took a huge gamble on him. A record transfer fee for a player with a broken ankle and who was playing for a club that just got relegated and he wants to treat us like this! I would **** him off to the highest bidder to sit on the bench and watch his future go down the pan just like the types of Wright-Phillips and Sidwell.

Actually, given the fact that Man City took his understudy to Eastlands, I could actually see them coming in for Downing. I would take them for as much as possible and invest it in a couple of players who actually want to come in and play for us.

I guess I have just got used to it and come to the realisation of where we are as a club and others have not

Avast I be defiant till' the end!

I be with you, lead the way captain! :lol:

Downings agent deffo met with Liverpool and this is from a championship playing south coast striker who has contacts with said club doing tapping up.

Pssshttt... shouldn't you be telling the FA about this?

Or the General at least?

Downings agent deffo met with Liverpool and this is from a championship playing south coast striker who has contacts with said club doing tapping up.

Or the General at least?

Happily, but like previously they won't want to make a fuss.

Or the General at least?

Happily, but like previously they won't want to make a fuss.

Yeah good point; wouldn't want Villa to be complaining about another club? It's just not professional!

It's hardly rocket science is it?

Our turnover is significantly less than the teams we would have to overcome to cement a top 4 place. Unless we're prepared to stomach QPR type price increases or there's a Sheikh or a Russian oligarch floating about then we're probably going to be stuck amongst the best of the rest and we're always at risk of having our best players nicked.

I see that Modric came out with some non commital comments about his future so we're not the only ones who have problems when the CL teams come a knocking.

Don't blame Downing at all for what he's said, who here is naive enough to think he has a real affinity for Aston Villa? Unless we come out and show that ambition that he's been promised he'll be off and rightly so. It's over to the board. Moaning about what a treacherous wretch he is isn't going to change anything. He came here when we were supposed to be challenging for the Champions League. If he feels he can't do that he should move, it's his prerogative. Teams evolve, he'll be replaced (hopefully) and we move on. Saying that, I expect him to be with us for at least another year.

Oh come on, we've tapped up as many players and managers as anyone else. You cant stop it, there's always a way.

We just have to face it that players come here and use us as a stepping stone. Most dont arrive here thinking this. Ash for example was probably made up that we went for him. But sooner or later for any player who is talented and has his best years ahead, is going to want to play for one of the big four or now Man City.

That's the way its been for us and for 15 years. Unless we consistently get Cl football, this will NEVER change. And there is no sign of that happening so we just have to get on with it. As for people being angry that players dont want to work for CL at their present club. Do me a favour. Twice the wage, world class players all around them and massive crowds instantly, or chase a carrot that doesnt get any closer. There is no choice here.

Â