Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Our manager (yeah...i know) should come out and do what Fergie did when Rooney wanted out of United. Thats the way to deal with this sort of issue.

Have a press conference?

Well yeah, whilst making it known what a money grabbing toss pot he is in the process.

Worked for Fergie with Rooney.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, it is'nt just us. This scenario has been played out so many times across the Prem now, its just a damning indictement of how the game is heading. Unscrupulous agents, players using their position of power to secure massive pay-deals under threat of departure and, of course, those who actually choose to go and warm the bench of some CL elite club for their forty pieces of silver.

Downing, imo, is'nt any different from any other average Prem player with aspirations to 'get to the top'. He had a decent season for us, yes, but did anyone else get the feeling he was actually showboating towards the end of the season? A step too far? A shot, when a simple squared pass to Bent would have been the obvious option? Or maybe it was just me? After all, surely he would'nt have been sending out signals to would-be interested parties.....would he?

I find it quite sad really that he's chosen to say these things (if they are indeed in context), when the club has effectively given him a lifeline. But, I suppose thats just the way it is these days. I just hope the damage is limited, or last season might seem like a party compared to what the next will be like!

Our manager (yeah...i know) should come out and do what Fergie did when Rooney wanted out of United. Thats the way to deal with this sort of issue.

Have a press conference?

Well yeah, whilst making it known what a money grabbing toss pot he is in the process.

Worked for Fergie with Rooney.

That you cant argue with

Downing is a professional footballer. He has "handled" it like a professional footballer not a fan.

I can't blame him and anyone that does, in my humble opinion, is guilty of deflecting blame because of a lack of willingness to confront the real issue which is we as a club are not good enough for top 4 or 5 or 6 actually now on a regular basis. We are a mid to upper mid table club because that is how we act. We will never hang on to players of this calibre for too long, we should enjoy them while we have them as we are a feeder club. Simple as that I'm afraid.

First part agree, second part, as usual, disagree.

Top 4 is out of our remit, 5 is difficult but 6 is still very much a possibility for next season, dependant on how the summer plays out. We have a pretty good core of players and the money to build on to acheive top 6 next season.

This whole concept of being a 'feeder club' is typically melodramatic - a club that sells a player every now and again to the very best teams in the country, is not a feeder club. Are Liverpool a feeder club for selling Torres to Chelsea?

My actual major concern if they both go, is that Bent will look elsewhere too!! Hes mentioned Ash, N Dj a few times as a big reason why he joined

That's the big point for me. If we can get the replacements in to keep DB serviced and happy then let them go.

I personally don't think anyone will pay what we want for Downing.

If they cant get us to where they/us want to be (and realise that - then lets cash in and try someone else. They probably wont be good enuff either, but were not gettin ther anyway with downing and young.

Me be agreein'

Thing be makin' the cap'n all red faced n' fist shakin' be the fact that thee salty seadog players be thinkin' they be devoid of thee situation. Floatin' like a voyeur in a bubble away from poor performances n' relegation battle of thee yester-season.

Downin' ye be DECENT cabinboy! Ye' be avin' a GOOD season of last, which in me' mind be a tad influenced be thee attackin' fullbackness of thee Walker. You not be a Messi, ye' not be single handedly winnin' matches, leagues n' cups! Ye' be a decent team player!

I be comprehendin' what you be sayin'. But you be inconsistent, you be a faint o' heart n' all round a' little lilly livered!

Me willin' to accept thee 20m+ pieces o' eight for ye' and be sayin best of luck to ye' (you be needin' it)

Good day to ye'

A bitter salty old Cap'n Guttiwuts :puke:

If they cant get us to where they/us want to be (and realise that - then lets cash in and try someone else. They probably wont be good enuff either, but were not gettin ther anyway with downing and young.

Me be agreein'

Thing be makin' the cap'n all red faced n' fist shakin' be the fact that thee salty seadog players be thinkin' they be devoid of thee situation. Floatin' like a voyeur in a bubble away from poor performances n' relegation battle of thee yester-season.

Downin' ye be DECENT cabinboy! Ye' be avin' a GOOD season of last, which in me' mind be a tad influenced be thee attackin' fullbackness of thee Walker. You not be a Messi, ye' not be single handedly winnin' matches, leagues n' cups! Ye' be a decent team player!

I be comprehendin' what you be sayin'. But you be inconsistent, you be a faint o' heart n' all round a' little lilly livered!

Me willin' to accept thee 20m+ pieces o' eight for ye' and be sayin best of luck to ye' (you be needin' it)

Good day to ye'

A bitter salty old Cap'n Guttiwuts :puke:

Im not sure whether i like the fact youve agreed with me :D

It indicates I might be stark raving bonkers as well

so since we paid £12m from a relegated team when he had a broken leg he has been our player of the year and broke back into the england team

i make that a minimum of an extra £4m for the relegation and gamble factor and again minimum of £4m for the form he's in, so anything under £20m should be laughed at, anything over £20m IMO it should be considered but with young going too it almost certainly has to **** up morale at the club, media will have a field day

cap'n guttiwuts you got me again :D

I think it depends who they go to.

Man Utd: Will be looking for maybe 1 winger.

Arsenal: No money

Chelsea: Neither seem 'Chelsea' sorta players, although depending on the new manager.

Tottenham: Always looking for players, but LM is sorted with Bale; and I can't see Young/Downing having Lennon's place, when fit. And no room in the hole if Van der Vaart stays.

Liverpool: Maybe looking for 1 winger. Although Kuyt and Maxi worked well at the end of the season. No room in the hole - Suarez is amazing.

Man City: no comment!!!!

In my opinion there are 2 potentials - and tbf there are other players that could fulfill these roles easily enough. I just can't see Man Utd buying Downing or Young. So that leaves Liverpool - 1 position (possibly).

Where would they play? Sir Alex seems to rate Valencia and Nani, let alone Giggs, Park, and the twins can play as wingers, if need be.

And as for the hole - Rooney has got that sorted.

"I mean, we had the meeting with the club, we expressed our feelings and they said to me they’re going to improve the team and the squad.

"So, as far as I know, I’ll still be reporting back for pre-season because I’ve heard nothing''.

this is a very telling statement. if we fullfill these promises, there will obviously be a better chance of keeping him.

Arsenal = no money.... are you sure!? One of the few clubs to turn a profit!? WIth Arseshavings out the door maybe!?

I personally don't think anyone will pay what we want for Downing.

I think Plop are stupid enuff too

Sadly for Stewart, they aren't in the Europa Cup nevermind his desired Champions League. So he wouldn't be interested obviously

Whatever he goes for, I somehow don't think he'll go with the same goodwill from the supporters as Ashley Young will!

You can say that again!

My blood is already at boiling point with the tosser. So much so i don't know how i'd react if he pulls on the Villa shirt again.

Would it be worth getting banned just to punch him square in the face ?

It'd save me a about a grand a year I guess

Â