Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this window is starting to have shambles written all over. I'm not surprised that Downing has gone. He put a 'for sale' sign over himself the moment he stalled on his contract negotiations. £20m is the lowest end of my expectations but if he put a transfer request in he has forgone quite a bit in bonuses.

Throw in the expected departure of Young plus the uninspiring appointment of AMcL and who we seemed to be linked to it's all pretty depressing.

We have brought in £36m in transfer fees plus saved massively on the wage bill so every fan is expecting some really decisive moves in the transfer market. I was very optimistic at the end of the season that the only way was up. Sadly we just continue to spiral downwards.

AMcL is a decent man but so far off a marque appointment its untrue. RL for some reason has seemingly done a complete U turn in how he sees the club. I think he is like Ellis now in that all we need to keep is a seat at the top table and nothing more.

I have no idea what Paul Faulkner brings to the party and I am sick to the back teeth of being patronised by General Krulak, someone who clearly knows little of Villa and nothing of football in general.

I would love the club to surprise me in the next few weeks but I won't hold my breath. The best we seem to have to look forward to is the arrival of a too old semi crocked cast off goalkeeper on high wages.

Rant over......

He is a word removed and has thrown the support the club showed him when he was signed as a cripple and paid as a cripple back in our faces. He hands in a transfer request and doesn't want to be at Villa any more so **** him, I hope he loses his England place to Albrighton and that his career fails here on out.

He also tackles like a fairy and seems like a wet lettuce of a player.

On the upside I'm currently in Valencia so I'll see if I can find Mata and have a word, and Miguel too. Naturally!

Statement on OS about Downing...

Villa accept offer from Liverpool for winger Downing

Aston Villa have reached an agreement with Liverpool for winger Stewart Downing.

Liverpool have now been granted permission to speak with the 26-year-old England international.

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "I can confirm that we have reached an agreement with Liverpool following an improved offer received earlier today and the submission of a formal transfer request by Stewart Downing, and have subsequently given them permission to speak with the player.

"We believe there are replacements available in the market who can strengthen our squad ahead of the coming season, and we are in discussions as such.

"We are also working hard to conclude a deal for a goalkeeper who we believe can also strengthen the side.

"As soon as we have dependable, conclusive information to share then we will do so."

Ireland better sort it out now! We need him on song. 4-3-3.

----------------Given-----------------

Cuellar---Dunne---Collins---Young

----------Makoun----Delph----------

----------------Ireland---------------

Albrighton------Bent---------Gabby

Not a bad team, not a world beater but decent. We can still do alright with the right manager and tactics!

Aston Villa have reached an agreement with Liverpool for winger Stewart Downing.

Liverpool have now been granted permission to speak with the 26-year-old England international.

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "I can confirm that we have reached an agreement with Liverpool following an improved offer received earlier today and the submission of a formal transfer request by Stewart Downing, and have subsequently given them permission to speak with the player.

"We believe there are replacements available in the market who can strengthen our squad ahead of the coming season, and we are in discussions as such.

"We are also working hard to conclude a deal for a goalkeeper who we believe can also strengthen the side.

"As soon as we have dependable, conclusive information to share then we will do so."

Finally... some correspondence from the club. :)

At least he handed in his transfer request, that'll save us some money too right?

Thanks for posting this JulieB

Finally... some correspondence from the club. :)

At least he handed in his transfer request, that'll save us some money too right?

Thanks for posting this JulieB

More platitudes from that clown Faulkner.....great.

Go support Liverpool then.

I don't really see the logical step in your argument?

Do you comprehend that Liverpool has been shit for the past two seasons? What did they win? Where did they end up on the table? But still, you think they are a better club than Villa... Go figure....

What is really sad is that we still have shit like Beye, Warnock, Heskey, Dunne and Ireland on our books.

Well, I think Dunne and Ireland have shown more loyalty and passion than Downing has considering the circumstances. Those two i will happily keep. And if Warnock and Beye want to work hard for a place then... Sod it.

**** off Downing - £20million for Randys pocket!

It will be interesting to see if both Downing or Young, will get as much England time as they did with Villa. They featured in every game they they were fit, and Cappello was at many games. I forsee a lot of bench time in the future for these guys based on the clubs they are going to, and Cappello is big on who is performing at the moment. We shall see.

So we sell some bottle job winger who doesn't want to play for us.and half of VT pisses on their girly little knickers. FFS people.

There are 6 weeks of the window left. If at the end of.those 6 weeks we have the same squad with no additions by all means moan, **** it, I'll join you. Until such time keep calm and carry on.

Tis a fair point.

You may consider it to be - a few people (or more) may not.

Right I'm trying to get some clarification over Twitter BUT apparently -

The transfer request off Downing made NO difference to AVFC...they'd already told him that it wouldn't

HOWEVER It was the size of the bid that has caused the sale!!!

It's much more than £20M!!!

Only the rumours but trying to find out....

Â