Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wondered if Liverpool's Downing interest could be part of a wider strategy to leverage a deal for Young. I think our interest in both is genuine but I reckon we only want one of them. If we got Young, we'd probably bugger off.

Man Citeh might be able to pull those kind of stunts.

Or Chelsea, if they want any more of your players.

But I'm not sure the Redscouse have that kind of pull, financially or status wise anymore. Two of your best players wanted out for CL football and the chance to win things (with maybe Pepe to follow) and leaving us to join a club who have finished 7th and 6th in the past few years would -at the present time- be a sideways step.

Young to Man U has been reported as a done deal in a quite a few quarters. If Liverpool were in the box seat in that one it would have probably come out by now.

Downing has 2 years to run so no panic stations yet. I think this summer will be the litmus test for the current regime. If we go through another pathetic summer it won't be just Downing lining up to leave. I suspect a few players are waiting with bated breath to see what the master plan is. I very much doubt he'd be sold this summer, apart from a silly money offer from the likes of Citeh.

I wondered if Liverpool's Downing interest could be part of a wider strategy to leverage a deal for Young. I think our interest in both is genuine but I reckon we only want one of them. If we got Young, we'd probably bugger off.

Man Citeh might be able to pull those kind of stunts.

Or Chelsea, if they want any more of your players.

But I'm not sure the Redscouse have that kind of pull, financially or status wise anymore. Two of your best players wanted out for CL football and the chance to win things (with maybe Pepe to follow) and leaving us to join a club who have finished 7th and 6th in the past few years would -at the present time- be a sideways step.

Young to Man U has been reported as a done deal in a quite a few quarters. If Liverpool were in the box seat in that one it would have probably come out by now.

Obviously such a strategy would only work if both Young and Downing were interested in a move to Liverpool.

For arguments sake, I'm assuming they are.

The point is Villa could have an incentive to sell Young to Liverpool rather than the Mancs, that's all.

I won't get into the whole debate about where Liverpool are at as a club because it's off-topic.

The point is Villa could have an incentive to sell Young to Liverpool rather than the Mancs, that's all.

If Ashley Young wants to go to Man Utd, he will go to Man Utd. The club can't just sell him to Liverpool because we want to. Players have all the power these days.

Maybe Randy needs to look for somebody else to take over the club who can afford to meet the players and fans ambitons.

Oh dear, you seem to have been listening to others bonkers ramblings.

I think dodgy has a point though, we won't progress to the champions league with Randy as owner. He hasn't got the type of money to turn us into a team that can get past 6th or 7th place.

My posts from the Downing thread after the Blackpool match where his father made it sound like he was likely off:

Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 12:59 PM

Downing is probably gone this summer. I have heard from 3 people who know more than any of us at VT that he probably won't be here next season.

I read those articles and hope he meant what he said. If i've learned anything this year, it's don't believe what players say to the press. Or at least take it all with a grain of salt. What exactly could Downing say there when asked these questions? "We think GH has no frigging clue, but just hope he doesn't get us relegated?" I told his father towards the end of the match, "Your son is having an amazing season, I hope he stays...etc" He told me "we´ll see." That gave me a really negative vibe about whether he'd stay or not. I also have 2 other sources, that I won't mention on here, who are more pessimistic than that re Downing staying.

Around March I heard that even though Gabby signed a new deal...it's just to get value if he's sold as well. 99.9999% Young is gone, 75%+ Downing gone this summer (next if we don't get CL like Ashley now).

Worst case scenario: Young leaves this summer, and Downing next.

That will be FOUR YEARS on the bounce weve lost a major player from our team.

What is the **** point in supporting anyone other than the rich clubs.

Football, im afraid to say, is a load of bollocks.

He's stating his ambition and I don't blame him, can you? In all likelihood we'll get at least one more season out of him. If either Ash or Downing want CL football they wont join Liverpool as there's 4/maybe 5 teams that are better, or they would be stupid to anyway. If Randy were to invest heavily I'd imagine he'd sign a new contract if we were progressing in the right direction; by not signing now he'll always have that leverage over the club. Still, eyebrows are raised given the interviews he did recently.

Around March I heard that even though Gabby signed a new deal...it's just to get value if he's sold as well. 99.9999% Young is gone, 75%+ Downing gone this summer (next if we don't get CL like Ashley now).

What a load of nonsense.

Perhaps we only spent 24mill on Bent to sell him for 25mill next summer?

Perhaps Randy is just letting players go because he gets a personal sell on fee?

It really is not the apocalypse some are trying to paint it as.

Gabby signed a deal so we could get more money for him? Daft, if Downing signings this summer is it so we can sell him for more next?

World has gone mad.

What a load of nonsense.

Perhaps we only spent 24mill on Bent to sell him for 25mill next summer?

Perhaps Randy is just letting players go because he gets a personal sell on fee?

It really is not the apocalypse some are trying to paint it as.

Gabby signed a deal so we could get more money for him? Daft, if Downing signings this summer is it so we can sell him for more next?

World has gone mad.

I agree world has gone made. But it's not daft. WinWin...more $$ short term for Gabby + club doesn't risk losing him for next to nothing. When I posted that stuff above it was April after the Blackpool match. If I had a son who became a pro athlete I would not wanna be like SD's dad. What.a.loser.

My posts from the Downing thread after the Blackpool match where his father made it sound like he was likely off:

Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 12:59 PM

Downing is probably gone this summer. I have heard from 3 people who know more than any of us at VT that he probably won't be here next season.

I read those articles and hope he meant what he said. If i've learned anything this year, it's don't believe what players say to the press. Or at least take it all with a grain of salt. What exactly could Downing say there when asked these questions? "We think GH has no frigging clue, but just hope he doesn't get us relegated?" I told his father towards the end of the match, "Your son is having an amazing season, I hope he stays...etc" He told me "we´ll see." That gave me a really negative vibe about whether he'd stay or not. I also have 2 other sources, that I won't mention on here, who are more pessimistic than that re Downing staying.

Maradona, one thing I learned over the past season and a half is that players care about themselves, money, fame and the team....usually in that order.

It's sad, but as I hear about some of the things said and done by OUR players...., my innocent and naive thoughts about sport begin to change. It's a business and the players are huge earners who get advice from people who all have their own personal angle...etc. Comments to the press about great club, history, the fans...etc. are usually pr.

Look if hes asked midway through the season hes obviously going to say good things about the club because hes got to play there for the few months ahead of him, as soon as the window comes and hes nowhere near the club he suddenly has a change of heart? I'm disappointed to say the least purely because he filled us all with hope that he was staying and now to go back on it, sigh.

I can't remember when he's actually said 'I am going to sign a contract', although I do remember 'I see the bigger picture'. He's keeping his options open. It's in the board's court.

Ash i can take losing, but both would be a massive loss.

Only way to replace them would be for Albrighton to step his game up and us to draft in N'Zogbia too. But even that wouldnt fill the gap.

I cant imagine Downing going to Arsenal UTD, Citeh or Spurs. Maybe Chelsea will take a punt but they dont even have a manager.

A move to Lpool would be silly is he wants to play CL football.

His best bet is to wait over the summer to see if any of the CL teams come in for him, if not use it as leverage to get a bigger contract

I'm not surprised to be honest..... as soon as I read 'My agent's had talks with Faulkner'. I have no faith in Faulkner and certainly none in agents, who only want to line their own pockets!

The thing is, the management future of our club is still uncertain to say the least and why commit when you don't know who'll be in charge next season???

Hopefully when that matter is decided, be it with GH staying or a new manager installed, contract renewals can be discussed again with a more positive outcome.

Â