Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think he was harshly treated last season - stuck on the right with a centre back behind him - what was he expected to do?

Now we have a sensible overlapping right back playing - he looks great - we should just have have played to his strengths last season.

it seems that too often we're impeding our best players - for instance this season playing gabby on the left and youn g up front - all we're doing is weakening the effectiveness of two of our better players - but it's been like this for a while - cuellar at right back? Luke young left back instead of right back, mellberg / NRC / gardner forced out of position playing rihht back. The ignoring of Biuma and to some degree shorey. Playing Milner Right wing etc.

I hope next manager we get just keeps things simple and trys to play to our players strengths rather than stifle them.

FWIW - I like it occasionally when players are played 'out of a position' to trick the opposition i.e. cullar right back agaiasnst blackburn - so culler can win headers etc - but more often then not these players out of position impede us and play intop the hands of teh opposition rather than us get the better of them,

Back on topis - Downing - played very well this season!! Well done Stewey!

FFS.

"It's a big thing, it's becoming trendy. It's a little niche, left-footed players on the right and vice-versa.

"He's equally as good on the other side. It's a big advantage.

"We looked at playing him in the centre. It's something we've spoken about. He's got a fantastic shot, so you could see us working on that in pre-season."

-GMac

In the Sun where they talk about him being offered a new deal. Regardless of how much of a **** ridiculous decision it would be to move another winger into the centre (he was poor there vs Blues/Wigan - i think it was one of them he was there for).

I guess this means we will almost definitely be getting atleast another winger in [unless they plan on playing all lopsided]

Good sign though.

In a way, I'm more concerned about securing Downings services than those of Ash. Cracking player imo and if we do challenge next year he'll be a big factor.

Downing also played in the middle against Man UTD (IIRC) and had an excellent game.

I do believe he has what it takes to play in the middle, in fact, i think he could excel in that area.

He just needs NRC and... Delph/Makoun next to him.

NRC holding and never going forward.

Delph/Makoun keeping things tidy and keeping the passing flowing.

Downing dropping deep to get the ball and then bombing on.

I think it would work!

i dont think he would be good in cm, he dopesnt tackle much and you need too strong people there that can win the ball for you

fantastic news about the new deal no-one deserves it more

FFS.

"It's a big thing, it's becoming trendy. It's a little niche, left-footed players on the right and vice-versa.

"He's equally as good on the other side. It's a big advantage.

"We looked at playing him in the centre. It's something we've spoken about. He's got a fantastic shot, so you could see us working on that in pre-season."

-GMac

In the Sun where they talk about him being offered a new deal. Regardless of how much of a **** ridiculous decision it would be to move another winger into the centre (he was poor there vs Blues/Wigan - i think it was one of them he was there for).

I guess this means we will almost definitely be getting atleast another winger in [unless they plan on playing all lopsided]

Obviously I'd prefer us to buy another striker or 'in the hole' player, but in a worst case scenario (injuries etc) I still think Downing could do a job in the centre if he learnt the role a bit more.

He does have a cracking long range shot on him and is comfortable on the ball in most situations. He hasn't looked amazing there this season but if we had no strikers available, I wouldn't mind Downing playing in Ash's favourite role.

Â