Test Pregnant women for Smoking?

ender4

Should we test pregnant women for smoking?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should we test pregnant women for smoking?

• NO
    • YES

You can't follow them about anyway to check up, and if you catch them smoking what are you going to do anyway? Put them in jail?

you just inform them that if their kid ends up diabled because of their idiocy then it will be taken off them as soon as it's born and put into adoption.

or just punch them in the face.

I do think more education needs to be given to people about what exactly smoking is likely to do to their baby. I don't think people realise just what effect it has.

I do think more education needs to be given to people about what exactly smoking is likely to do to their baby. I don't think people realise just what effect it has.

bar mentally disabled smokers I can't imagine anyone doesn't realise smoking isn't that great for unborn babies.

Anybody who carries on smoking nowadays must BE mentally disabled.

So anyone who doesn't live according to the standards set by you must be retarded right? :winkold:

Hell , I think alcohol is retarded. Pregnant women should be tested for alcohol. People who consume alcohol are mentally disabled.

See how reasonable that sounds?

:winkold:

For those that aren't aware I'm about 5 weeks off becoming a Daddy (and neither of us smoke) but at one of the midwife led classes we went to last week they talked about how cot death had been hugely reduced since they changed their advice to placing the baby on its back to sleep. The midwife said that in almost 100% of cases where cot death does still occur its in homes with smokers.

These mums that quite smoking during the pregnancy and then restart straight after the birth are still causing fatalities to their children it seems.

and do what if they smoke? terminate the pregnancy against the mothers wishes? If not, what is the point exactly?

Utterly stupid idea

I er, dunno, maybe:

so they can get the appropriate advice for quitting.

So anyone who doesn't live according to the standards set by you must be retarded right? :winkold:

Hell , I think alcohol is retarded. Pregnant women should be tested for alcohol. People who consume alcohol are mentally disabled.

The body can cope perfectly fine with a reasonable amount of alcohol. You can drink reasonable amounts with causing any long lasting damage. You can't say the same about cigarettes.

Make it illegal for women who have smoked in the past month to have a baby. Or if they have a baby and it is disabled in anyway, they cannot claim welfare from the government

Oh yeah...thats really fair on the poor baby!

you just take the baby off them. end of discussion.

I really hope you're not being serious. Taking a child off a mother because she smokes. A disgusting suggestion.

and do what if they smoke? terminate the pregnancy against the mothers wishes? If not, what is the point exactly?

Utterly stupid idea

I er, dunno, maybe:

Like you need to test people in order to give them advice. Pregnant women who want to give up will be quite open about it and those that don't won't take the advice anyway. So what exactly will be the point of testing again apart from wasting public money and being unnecessarily invasive?

Ooh, that touched a nerve, didn't it? :lol:

Women who smoke will do so anyway...what they gonna do take the baby off them if they do?

It's stupid to smoke full stop... especially if you're pregnant & I don't think people should smoke round children, however that's my take on matters.

Just another daft nanny state idea........will someone please tell em they can't afford it!

Utterly stupid idea

I er, dunno, maybe:

Like you need to test people in order to give them advice. Pregnant women who want to give up will be quite open about it and those that don't won't take the advice anyway. So what exactly will be the point of testing again apart from wasting public money and being unnecessarily invasive?

Well that is this thread nailed.

I've been over to the maternity ward at Good Hope a few times over the past few months. We both look in shock at each other as we enter the building each time passing heavily pregnant women smoking by the entrance. We even saw one pregnant woman hooked up to a drip smoking by the door. Incredible

I've been over to the maternity ward at Good Hope a few times over the past few months. We both look in shock at each other as we enter the building each time passing heavily pregnant women smoking by the entrance. We even saw one pregnant woman hooked up to a drip smoking by the door. Incredible

Peoples propensity for stupidity and selfishness never ceases to astound and sadden me.

Make it illegal for women who have smoked in the past month to have a baby. Or if they have a baby and it is disabled in anyway, they cannot claim welfare from the government

Oh yeah...thats really fair on the poor baby!

you just take the baby off them. end of discussion.

I really hope you're not being serious. Taking a child off a mother because she smokes. A disgusting suggestion.

no if she smokes whilst she is pregnant resulting in the child being disabled directly because of her retardedness, then no she doesn't deserve to have the child.

no if she smokes whilst she is pregnant resulting in the child being disabled directly because of her retardedness, then no she doesn't deserve to have the child.

You can not definitively say that the smoke resulted in the child being disabled. Disabled children are born to non-smokers every day. And it's a moot point anyway because even if you could (which you can't), you still shouldn't take it away. To me your suggestion of taking a child away from it's mother is still a disgusting one. Some people...

Â