The New Condem Government

bickster

The point re the Nurses is that despite so many "false" promises made by the Gvmt the number of nurses has been decreased quite significantly during the term of the this Gvmt. That is an appalling figure much in the same way that fire, police, defence have all been hit. These are front line services, the ones that total and utter lies were made about in the run up to the last election.

Is 1.75% 'appalling' or 'significant', because it seems like a relatively small figure that could be attributable to a lot of different circumstances. I would have thought that any government serious about cuts would have done a better job than just 1.75%.

Does anybody know what the NHS spend of today is compared to 1997, when the Tories last held he reins?

Is 1.75% 'appalling' or 'significant', because it seems like a relatively small figure that could be attributable to a lot of different circumstances. I would have thought that any government serious about cuts would have done a better job than just 1.75%.

Does anybody know what the NHS spend of today is compared to 1997, when the Tories last held he reins?

It's apalling IMO. Cutting back on Nursing was one of the flagship promises that the liar Cameron made at the election, how front line services would not be affected. I have seen first hand evidence how this is directly affecting patient care and it seems that the privatisation of the NHS is now progressing at a pace. Sorry mate to say it is a small figure is head shaking.

According to the latest avaliable data I could find The UK's spend on health care was around 10% GDP in 2010, which is excellent value for money by international standards. In 1997 spending on health care as a share of GDP was just shy of 7%. Data can be found here http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171766_264293.pdf and on the OECD database.

Contrast this with the US who spend around 18% for their great system.

Latest GDP estimate for Q3 had a growth rate of 1% which takes the UK out of the recession. The ONS locate a lot of this growth in the growth of services and the 'production industries'. Construction is way down. The Olympics obviously contributed a lot to that growth, the ONS count Olympic tickets sold throughout 2011 and 2012 as 'output' for 2012q3 interestingly. With this estimate, growth for 2012 could well be flat rather than there being some shrinkage.

The pdf - statistical special events in Q3 - is certainly worth a peek with their comments about the Olympic tickets (booked as about £560m) and the 'bounce-back effect (due to there being one extra working day in Q3 as opposed to Q2).

Am interested about how the 'Olympic effect' is being reported. The beeb are today carrying it as a good news story and how beneficial it was whereas during the Olympics they were reporting a lot of those stories where it definitely hadn't been a benefit and before the Olympics it was going to be an unquestionable boon.

Hard to measure the overall effect, will take a while to estimate that, but the ONS reckon 0.2pc of that 1pc q3 growth is down to the olympics. Q4 growth will most likely be a lot smaller. I agree with Mervin King that output will yo-yo up and down.

Indeed it is - I was more interested with how the effects are being (and have been previously) reported (as good one day, bad the next and good the day after).

Anyway, apparently, "we're on the right track, we've got the right policies and we're 'paying down' a deficit." :)

"It's apalling IMO. Cutting back on Nursing was one of the flagship promises that the liar Cameron made at the election, how front line services would not be affected. I have seen first hand evidence how this is directly affecting patient care and it seems that the privatisation of the NHS is now progressing at a pace. Sorry mate to say it is a small figure is head shaking. "

I work in the hospital and let me tell you its not entirely the governement, its the matrons and business managers who are making the cuts to nursing but seem to find money to appoint more managers who big salaries. This is the main reason why the NHS is such a mess. Its utter corrupt by ar$ewhipes the NHS.

There are still Blockbuster Videos in the UK?

Yes, its the prize you get for selling the rest of the industry down the river. Its virtually a high street monopoly these days. It's main competitor is Love Film an internet based postal service

Interesting that Labour who capitulated to the EU on the last EU budget suddenly seem against a budget increase when they sense some opportunism

But on the plus side we seem to be moving a step closer to our long overdue withdrawal from the EU so I'll forgive Labour's hypocrisy this time

Interesting that Labour who capitulated to the EU on the last EU budget suddenly seem against a budget increase when they sense some opportunism

But on the plus side we seem to be moving a step closer to our long overdue withdrawal from the EU so I'll forgive Labour's hypocrisy this time

It's an interesting question. Is it opportunistic, hypocritical, cynical, to vote against something you might broadly support simply in order to embarrass the government? Should a party vote at all times only according to the merits of the issue under consideration, with no thought of wider political gains?

I would say the job of the Opposition is to bring down the government if they can, and to make it more likely that they will beat them at the next election if they can't bring them down. If their voting behaviour emphasises a damaging split in the ranks of the governing party, that's the sort of thing they should be doing. I think all parties in our system accept that, don't they?

It's an interesting question. Is it opportunistic, hypocritical, cynical, to vote against something you might broadly support simply in order to embarrass the government? Should a party vote at all times only according to the merits of the issue under consideration, with no thought of wider political gains?

I would say the job of the Opposition is to bring down the government if they can, and to make it more likely that they will beat them at the next election if they can't bring them down. If their voting behaviour emphasises a damaging split in the ranks of the governing party, that's the sort of thing they should be doing. I think all parties in our system accept that, don't they?

I'd say that shows the desire to get your party into power is stronger than the desire for the country to prosper. Get the party into power is priority one, two and three with improve the lot of the citizen a distant fourth. A dibilitating condition that has strangled this country for decades. That's why, even with a keen interest in politics, I find it increasingly difficult to even consider voting.

• Like 1

I'd say that shows the desire to get your party into power is stronger than the desire for the country to prosper. Get the party into power is priority one, two and three with improve the lot of the citizen a distant fourth. A dibilitating condition that has strangled this country for decades. That's why, even with a keen interest in politics, I find it increasingly difficult to even consider voting.

Surely all parties believe that getting their own party into power is a necessary step towards getting the country to prosper? If they don't believe that, then what is left but personal careerism? That would make me far more disillusioned with political parties than efforts to win power. Though it's true that for the careerists, being in power offers more opportunities than not being in power.

(And if by "your party" you mean my, as opposed to "one's" party, then I should say that I'm not a Labour supporter).

I wouldn't condemn people who have wronged in the past for changing course and doing the right thing now. I'm sure some of the Labour MP's did it for purely cynical reasons but others have finally woken up to the reality of EU membership for the UK. Gisela Stuart MP (one of those who drafted the Lisbon Treaty) is a case in point and has repeatedly stated the dangers the EU poses to democracy. It shouldn't matter what colour rosette they wear, if they are right then support them.

Not as long as Cameron is in charge, he's only slightly less of an EUphile than his pal Clegg. According to pretty much every opinion poll on the subject for years if the people get a vote on it then the UK will leave, hence we will not get a vote and the only way out is if the EU collapses around us. It's taking an awfully long time but the latter is not an unthinkable outcome: Greek death spiral raises heat for German-bloc creditors

Â