The New Condem Government

bickster

I think people get a little het up about one-sided newspapers.

If I was returning from a news starved 20 years on a desert island and I was handed a copy of the Daily Mail I wouldn't bother reading it.

• Like 2

If I was returning from a news starved 20 years on a desert island and I was handed a copy of the Daily Mail I wouldn't bother reading it.

No it might be more useful when you were on the desert Island

• Like 1

In that case I would prefer a copy of 'The Guardian', as it is only slightly more useful as it is bigger and thicker.

I could sleep under it, wipe my arse for longer, or light a bigger flare :)

• Like 1

In that case I would prefer a copy of 'The Guardian', as it is only slightly more useful as it is bigger and thicker.

I could sleep under it, wipe my arse for longer, or light a bigger flare :)

beggers cant be choosers. You can also use it to start a fire. So the Daily Mail does have its uses.

The daily Mail is no worse than any other newspaper. Just depends on what side of the fence you are on.

Come on now.

I'm all for appreciating a diverse range of opinions in the media. I don't often agree with what the Telegraph have to say, for example, but they're a respectable newspaper who defend their points reasonably well.

I couldn't give a toss if the Daily Mail betrayed their Nazi heritage and took a huge swing to the left, they're **** scum, and it has nothing to do with whether they stand behind Labour or the Tories.

I think that's fair comment, along with the Murdoch titles (except maybe The Times, but I don't get to read it often these days and won't pay for on line access).

The daily Mail is no worse than any other newspaper. Just depends on what side of the fence you are on.

Come on now.

I'm all for appreciating a diverse range of opinions in the media. I don't often agree with what the Telegraph have to say, for example, but they're a respectable newspaper who defend their points reasonably well.

I couldn't give a toss if the Daily Mail betrayed their Nazi heritage and took a huge swing to the left, they're **** scum, and it has nothing to do with whether they stand behind Labour or the Tories.

Completely agree. Politics aside, the Daily Mail is an absolutely vile rag.

Adam Afriyie MP has thrown a huge sh*t grenade Cameron's way this morning by pushing for an amendment to the EU Referendum Bill, aiming to bring it forward to October 2014.

He raises some fair points about Cameron's commitment and even ability to deliver a 2017 referendum (there being the small matter of an election he won't win in 2015), the extremely unlikely scenario that other EU members allow the UK to unilaterally renegotiate fundamental terms of membership and the uncertainty this situation creates between now and 2017 for business.

If Cameron really wanted the people to have a vote (and the polls are saying that 8 out of 10 people now want an EU referendum) he'd ignore Clegg and get it done - before Labour get another chance to rob the public of a vote.

It's going to be very interesting to see how this develops over the next few weeks. 

Linky

Edited by Awol

If Cameron really wanted the people to have a vote (and the polls are saying that 8 out of 10 people now want an EU referendum) he'd ignore Clegg and get it done - before Labour get another chance to rob the public of a vote.

I'm not sure a Labour government could really be accused of robbing the public of a vote if the current government fail to deliver it after promising to do so.

I'm not sure a Labour government could really be accused of robbing the public of a vote if the current government fail to deliver it after promising to do so.

They promised (in Blair's final manifesto) to hold a UK referendum on the European Constitution. After the same referendum was lost in France, Holland and Ireland in quick succession, they stopped holding the votes and renamed it the Lisbon Treaty. In substance it is exactly the same document so it's fair to say they lied then and that post-2015 Labour government would be unlikely to allow an EU referendum vote in 2017 to the 80% of people who want one.

There is no way on earth that Cameron actually wants an EU referendum. By promising a referendum in 2017 he is trying to halt the stop of UKIP who now seem to have flat lined in the polls. Cameron also promised a referendum in the 2010 election but has failed to deliver on it.

Im presuming that poll was in the Telegraph or the Mail. Be interesting to see if you had a poll from the Guardian and a few other papers and see what the result is then. Although I would think it would still be just above 50% actually wanting a referendum. 

• Like 1

Im presuming that poll was in the Telegraph or the Mail. Be interesting to see if you had a poll from the Guardian and a few other papers and see what the result is then. Although I would think it would still be just above 50% actually wanting a referendum. 

Sounds most likely.

I'm for staying in the EU though I do think there are some parts of the agreement that should be changed. Immigration and justice policies for a start.

Â