Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is KPB just the latest en vogue player or would he really be that good for us?

I ask as there was a strong rumour on the last day of a transfer window about two years ago that we had signed him and the reaction on here was something rather less than enthusiastic

Yeah Sky **** up and announced we'd signed him.

Its always the same World Cup's or European Championships some player always does well and catches the eye leading to everyone saying we should sign them.

KPB has had a good World Cup but personally I would rather judge him on the season he had for Pompey rather than 5 or 6 games which are likely to be the biggest of his career.

He didn't do much last season to really make me think he was the player or a player we should be trying to land and although he has done well in SA that hasn't really changed for me.

He could well end up being this World Cup's Diouf.

Stop going?

Haha... we go and sign some really class players and you'd stop going?

Come on, apart from maybe 10 clubs in the whole of the English footballing league, we're just as bad as Man.City. It's not as if we're some Division 2 club who are skint and not spending any money. We've spent an absolute fortune as it is, we're doing exactly what Man.City are doing but on a lesser scale. Chucking money at it.

It's completely different PieFacE.

Sorry Rob but I think you're badly and sadly deluded if you think we're that much different to City ultimately.

There's a lot of this going round at the moment and it smacks of people finding nothing other than the chance to try and take the moral high ground as they've nothing else to use. None of us are happy that Milner, and Barry will have gone to City, none of us like the fact that a shit club like them are all of a sudden mixing it with Europe's elite in the transfer market, none of us like Manchester City.

But you don't hear us resorting to ridiculous claims in order to try and make ourselves feel a bit better about it all. Accept it and move on.

Whatever mate, you obviously can't accept the fact that some people don't like the idea of "selling out".

You don't know me personally so don't try and put it down to the fact that Man City have got a billionaire owner in the last few years. It's nothing to do with that. It's not taking the moral high ground. It's me and my personal feelings on this subject. Whether it's in football, music or anything else. I despise it.

I'm only mentioning it now because it effects us directly with City supposedly taking Milner off us.

I ask as there was a strong rumour on the last day of a transfer window about two years ago that we had signed him and the reaction on here was something rather less than enthusiastic

Its always the same World Cup's or European Championships some player always does well and catches the eye leading to everyone saying we should sign them.

KPB has had a good World Cup but personally I would rather judge him on the season he had for Pompey rather than 5 or 6 games which are likely to be the biggest of his career.

He didn't do much last season to really make me think he was the player or a player we should be trying to land and although he has done well in SA that hasn't really changed for me.

i disagree he was Pompey's best player even more than O'Hara and has always been talented even in Germany

Error or not the reaction to his potential signing was bad

I imagine it had something to do with what most people had seen of him up to that point. If it was 2 years ago then to most people we were about to sign what we saw as an overly aggressive defensive midfielder who struggled to get a game in a struggling Spurs side. It's fairly safe to say people have seen more of him 2 years on and he has come on since those days as a player too. We now know he is a very capable attacking midfielder who can cut it week in week out in the Premier League. That wasn't the case 2 years ago. As someone clever once said - "When the facts change, so does my opinion. What do you do?".

i disagree he was Pompey's best player even more than O'Hara and has always been talented even in Germany

I don't say he isn't talented.

I'm just saying his form for Pompey wasn't such that I was looking at him and saying I'd like him to be a target, if fact very few people on here were. Since his formances at the World Cup though those in favour of signing him have grown in number, as I said previously I wouldn't want to sign a player based on WC performances.

No matter what talent they have.

"When the facts change, so does my opinion. What do you do?".

Who was that clever chap?

I think whoever he was it was very sage advice. I just think on Boateng is it the facts that have changed or is it the opinion. Trent seems not to rate him and feels it is a world cup flash in the pan.

For me , I'm not sure about him

I just think on Boateng is it the facts that have changed or is it the opinion.

The way I see it is when we were linked with him 2 years ago there was nothing to be excited about seeing as he had failed at Spurs.

In the two years since he has done better which I think is justification enough for people having warmed to the idea. So I do think the facts have led to a change of opinion.

Trent seems not to rate him and feels it is a world cup flash in the pan.

Its not that I don't rate him, I think he has ability. I just didn't see enough of it last season in the Premier League to make me think 'KPB is a player I wish we would sign' and no matter how well he does at the World Cup that view won't change because he failed to perform well enough in the Premier League to warrant it for me.

I do think that a lot of the talk about him on here is based purely on World Cup games and not games for Pompey and I think that is insufficient basis on which to sign people.

Stop going?

Haha... we go and sign some really class players and you'd stop going?

Come on, apart from maybe 10 clubs in the whole of the English footballing league, we're just as bad as Man.City. It's not as if we're some Division 2 club who are skint and not spending any money. We've spent an absolute fortune as it is, we're doing exactly what Man.City are doing but on a lesser scale. Chucking money at it.

It's completely different PieFacE.

Sorry Rob but I think you're badly and sadly deluded if you think we're that much different to City ultimately.

There's a lot of this going round at the moment and it smacks of people finding nothing other than the chance to try and take the moral high ground as they've nothing else to use. None of us are happy that Milner, and Barry will have gone to City, none of us like the fact that a shit club like them are all of a sudden mixing it with Europe's elite in the transfer market, none of us like Manchester City.

But you don't hear us resorting to ridiculous claims in order to try and make ourselves feel a bit better about it all. Accept it and move on.

Whatever mate, you obviously can't accept the fact that some people don't like the idea of "selling out".

You don't know me personally so don't try and put it down to the fact that Man City have got a billionaire owner in the last few years. It's nothing to do with that. It's not taking the moral high ground. It's me and my personal feelings on this subject. Whether it's in football, music or anything else. I despise it.

I'm only mentioning it now because it effects us directly with City supposedly taking Milner off us.

but weve done it with players from other clubs. Blackburn didnt want to sell Warnock, Newcastle didnt want to sell Milner. We used our weight to take players from lower placed clubs, City just have more weight.

"When the facts change, so does my opinion. What do you do?".

Who was that clever chap?

I think whoever he was it was very sage advice. I just think on Boateng is it the facts that have changed or is it the opinion. Trent seems not to rate him and feels it is a world cup flash in the pan.

The quote was John Maynard Keynes. As for KPB. I'm not 100% sure about him either, but he would only cost £5m-£7m and I think I've seen enough of him to think he could be very good. He's certainly worth it at that price (Pompey have recently asked Lazio to double their £5m bid for a double deal of KPB & Belhadj). As for facts or opinion, I said it earlier and Trent has there too. The opinion has changed because the facts have changed i.e. the player's previous 2 years of performance. Even his position has changed in that time from def mid to att mid.

Joe Cole would demand stupid money, Kris Boyd (IMO) wouldn't cut it in the premier league but worth a shot if the wages are low and Silvestre is getting on I think now although 3 good calls.