Bollitics: The General Election 2010 Exit Poll

bickster

How Did You Vote in the General Election?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. How Did You Vote in the General Election?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Green
    • UKIP
    • BNP
    • Jury Team
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Spoilt Ballot
    • Didn't bother

Dem - why are they "finished"? - Last nights results showed they are not finished at all, and Clegg is re-affirming his promise of the build up to speak with the party with the most MP's. Listening to David Steele just though and most Libs this morning they will not form a coalition with the cons. It will be interesting to see if and what deal they can forge. But to say that this means the Labour party are "finished" is wrong IMO

because i think they cant get a deal with lib dems they wont get the seats number, but i think cameron can strike a deal to get the extra 20 or so seats he needs to get in.

brown would have won had he called that election years ago but bottled it

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another stray thought, I wonder if the Lib Dems gain in 2005 had much more to do with the Iraq War than I previously thought. I was ( still am ) in an area with lots of students and there was a great deal of mobilisation to vote in response to it then for example. They gained about 10 seats as a result of that, which in hindsight was a big big gain, with that not an issue, I suppose there was nothing outstandingly different, despite claims for change etc.

Dem - why are they "finished"? - Last nights results showed they are not finished at all, and Clegg is re-affirming his promise of the build up to speak with the party with the most MP's. Listening to David Steele just though and most Libs this morning they will not form a coalition with the cons. It will be interesting to see if and what deal they can forge. But to say that this means the Labour party are "finished" is wrong IMO

because i think they cant get a deal with lib dems they wont get the seats number, but i think cameron can strike a deal to get the extra 20 or so seats he needs to get in.

Tory government - 1997 - Landslide

Labour government - 2010 - Hung parliament

In theory with the world wide recession they should have got a landslide but as I said earlier the population seem a little bit more clued up about elections these days, sticking a few posters up just won't cut it these days. Tactical voting may have played a part but I suspect we will never know.

And in between 97 and 2010 Labour implemented a number of boundary changes which made the likelihood of a Labour "defeat" less likely.

It was always going to be tough for the Conservatives to get a huge majority

Ah so what you are saying is that you think this will result in a Lib - Con alliance and that Labour will not be in gvmt, NOT that they are finished?

I will have a pint bet with you young sir - I say there will be no Lib - Con coalition - (I also think there will not be a Lib - Lab one also with Dave having to go - and probably fail at the first hurdle - with a minority gvmt) - unless of course Camoron is prepared to commit to electoral reform

This is not getting my bloody work done Grrrrrrrr

Interesting to hear Mandy this morning dropping Brown like a very hot stone and then Kinnock slagging Mandy off on the one hand and on the other saying it was time for Labour to stick together and not fall out!

Why do the tory party keep saying that they got the same as Blair in 97. A quick look and it says that Blair's Labour got 43.2% of the vote / Tory 30.7 and Libs 16.8 . As it stands now the Tory vote last night was 36.1 Lab 29.2 and Libs 22.9 :shock:

It does show again though that this system is flawed

It is flawed, but you also have to take on board that since 78 every party have swept to power with a massive overall majority, Maggie in 78 giving her 18 years of power and then in 97 for Blair giving him 13 years of power, that is maximum stability for the nation, which is what we need, precedence as shown before that when a party has had to do deals to get power, they've gone at the next Election and have existed through massive Turmoil and unrest.

IMO I honestly can't see other than ego what these blokes are messing about at, if they all came out in front of the cameras now in Downing Street and said none of us have an overall mandate, we also are not happy with the abuse of peoples rights, therefore we will maintain the status Que for a period of 6months at which on this given date there will be a General Election. They would have my absolute respect, because i know they are doing it for the people first.

In theory with the world wide recession they should have got a landslide but as I said earlier the population seem a little bit more clued up about elections these days, sticking a few posters up just won't cut it these days. Tactical voting may have played a part but I suspect we will never know.

And in between 97 and 2010 Labour implemented a number of boundary changes which made the likelihood of a Labour "defeat" less likely.

and you bet your bottom dollar that when the tories cut the number of mps by 10% they will ensure it's in their interests. Perhaps Clegg will ask that some are made in the benefit of their interest as well.

But to not get near to an overall majority is unbelieveable really.

IMO I honestly can't see other than ego what these blokes are messing about at, if they all came out in front of the cameras now in Downing Street and said none of us have an overall mandate, we also are not happy with the abuse of peoples rights, therefore we will maintain the status Que for a period of 6months at which on this given date there will be a General Election. They would have my absolute respect, because i know they are doing it for the people first.

I don't think you would find many who would disagree with you on that, but you are seeing now that the quest for power still is the major factor for most of the people who got voted in. Its the same for nearly all people in politics IMO

I don't think you would find many who would disagree with you on that, but you are seeing now that the quest for power still is the major factor for most of the people who got voted in. Its the same for nearly all people in politics IMO

Quite, and how sad is that, you would think it would occur to them that if you know that and i know that and as you say many others know that, one would stand up and say lets do it different, lets show the public that politicians are not egotistical fiddling power obsessed morons. :lol:

But to not get near to an overall majority is unbelieveable really.

Not really, it would have broken a huge number of records. As it is the conservatives have made more gains than at any election since 1931

I don't think anybody wants it under current conditions. They would probably all prefer somebody else to struggle along with a minority/coalition government and then take them on in another election when they've failed for a while.

We could be in for a round of "After you...", "No, after YOU...."

I don't think anybody wants it under current conditions. They would probably all prefer somebody else to struggle along with a minority/coalition government and then take them on in another election when they've failed for a while.

We could be in for a round of "After you...", "No, after YOU...."

perhaps the MPs could get in Barry and Paul for a bit of 'to me, to you' training.