Jez

£14m for 32 year old Defoe?!

I watched Sunderland v Liverpool. Although Wickham didn't look any great shakes, their problem was exactly the same as ours. They were utterly incapable of getting the ball to the strikers in dangerous positions. Could have had Ronaldo, Messi or even Mascherano up there, with no supply, they wont score.

i dont know why the rags keep persisting with the bale to utd story, almost as bad as the ronaldo wanting to go "home" bullshit

I think the main 2 reasons are:

1) Utd tried to sign him before he went to Madrid
2) Bale has started to become unpopular amongst the Madrid fans for not passing to Ronaldo at every opportunity

oh, and 3) Utd are still looking to find a player to play behind the striker ;-)

Bale isn't going anywhere for a while yet, it was confirmed by not only himself but the president (Florentino Perez) too.

Sure some fans aren't that happy with him but he isn't the first nor the last to be whistled at; Raul, Zidane etc have all had it.

Ronaldo has also had it. Different reasons of course.

Also for what it's worth after that game when he was heavily criticised for not passing to Ronaldo he has since always looked for Ronaldo.

Madrid don't need him to sell the brand in the States though do they? Surely Ronaldo is big enough for that? I would think more people know of Ronaldo in the US than Gareth Bale.

its not necessarily ronaldo vs bale though, its la liga vs the prem, i bet more people in the states have seen bale play than ronaldo and it is selling the brand, its real madrid saying the prems best player and the face of the premier league in america would rather play for us

Gareth+Bale+Real+Madrid+Times+Square+Bil

I really don't like Real Madrid.

Absolutely **** despise them, Barcelona too, though fractionally less. I honestly cannot think of one redeeming thing about Real Madrid.

They provided me with some of my favourite memories as a young naive kid.

La Liga sundays always held off the realisation and the depression of going back to schoolay on Mond a little longer.

Hierro, Robert Carlos, Salgado, Figo, Guti, Zidane, Raul, Ronaldo, Beckham, Makelele, Heck, even Pavon and Raul Bravo brightened up my evening.

i dont know why the rags keep persisting with the bale to utd story, almost as bad as the ronaldo wanting to go "home" bullshit

I think the main 2 reasons are:

1) Utd tried to sign him before he went to Madrid
2) Bale has started to become unpopular amongst the Madrid fans for not passing to Ronaldo at every opportunity

oh, and 3) Utd are still looking to find a player to play behind the striker ;-)

Is that behind the strikers, who are behind the striker? It's a crazy transfer (it will be).

Madrid don't need him to sell the brand in the States though do they? Surely Ronaldo is big enough for that? I would think more people know of Ronaldo in the US than Gareth Bale.

its not necessarily ronaldo vs bale though, its la liga vs the prem, i bet more people in the states have seen bale play than ronaldo and it is selling the brand, its real madrid saying the prems best player and the face of the premier league in america would rather play for us

Gareth+Bale+Real+Madrid+Times+Square+Bil

I was at a Real v Milan pre-season friendly at Yankee Stadium a couple of years ago.  The place was sold out and swathes of local Latinos were there in Real shirts with Ronaldo on the back.  He's also the face of Nike football across the globe, whereas Bale is a long way behind Messi in the adidas portfolio.

I'm not suggesting more people won't have seen Bale, given the prominence of the PL, but I think Ronaldo is a WAY bigger deal worldwide.