The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure how you find it up there Zatman but in the west they don't have the glory hunting plastics that infuriate me with the likes of utd and Liverpool in the uk

It's not so common to see the jersey at all. Dortmund or Monchengladbach fans are more common though i understand a lot of fan clubs have own specific bar. Have seen a Freiburg and Arminia Bielefeld bar 😂

I think Germans definitely more open to supporting local teams 

Cologne and Bonn is almost like what I imagine Newcastle to be, a footballing island where everyone seems to support them, they completely own this area despite actually having a lot of teams around here, with the ICE I can do about 8 grounds within 90 minutes of me 

I would say by me maybe one of the bigger differences is that the Turkish immigrant community are usually crazy about their own football rather than picking up bayern or dortmund here, the 4 or 5 of them that will be at training tonight will all be in superliga shirts 

Koln are a strange team, to an outsider they are a yoyo club like Baggies but have hardcore support and actually a decent club anthem

My friends wife is a Koln fan so got the attempted conversion when I visited 😂

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Half of the leagues in Europe are incredibly dull. Its not healthy that one team can win the league 8 years in a row. Same for France, Italy and Scotland.

For me the Bundesliga is by far the most entertaining to watch. Yeah Bayern end up winning all the time but the football is still the most entertaining.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Half of the leagues in Europe are incredibly dull. Its not healthy that one team can win the league 8 years in a row. Same for France, Italy and Scotland.

Football is probably in its lowest moment in history, the deck is stacked against big teams being challenged by FFP. You can nearly predict who will win what at club level. 

Leicester league title was a fluke to the monopoly and it won't happen again if the leagues can stop it. Villa for example some posters in main thread have wild ambitions of what we can achieve compared to reality 

Edited by Zatman

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Football is probably in its lowest moment in history, the deck is stacked against big teams being challenged by FFP. You can nearly predict who will win what at club level. 

Leicester league title was a fluke to the monopoly and it won't happen again if the leagues can stop it. Villa for example some posters in main thread have wild ambitions of what we can achieve compared to reality 

Mid table at the moment seems wildly ambitious. About 20 years ago fans would be protesting about that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sne said:

For me the Bundesliga is by far the most entertaining to watch. Yeah Bayern end up winning all the time but the football is still the most entertaining.

I like that the bottom half teams really have a go at the top ones, don't just stick back and park the bus like premier league.

I think problem for Bundesliga is the fall over last decade of some of the powerhouses like Stuttgart, Hamburg and Bremen. In the 00s they were regular european qualifiers and Stuttgart won the league in 2007. Now they yo yo between 1st and 2nd, Hamburg are basically us and seem to be trying to blow promotion again this season despite having a very good team for 2nd tier and Bremen have been threatening to relegate for last 5 years.

Been replaced by likes of Hoffenheim and Leipzig. Perhaps there's one season where it will all come together for RB Leipzig but tough to see them actually winning Bundesliga. Bayern Munich seem to have that psychological hold over others like Juve do in Serie A. They can be off the pace going into the winter break but all the other teams know they'll hit a mass winning streak from January onwards.

• Like 1

the difference for me is in the PL (apart from the last couple of years when city and now Liverpool have gone up a gear) is the lower in the league teams can have a go at the better teams because the better teams aren't generally that good, theres a lot of inconsistency, they have mistakes in them and there are scrappy bits of play which can result in anything happening, added to that we have ropey refs and now VAR so there is an element of entertainment to take from that

but in pure football quality terms the Bundesliga is better, watched the Leipzig vs spurs game and RB battered them with a style of football that pretty much is the PL, from the bits I've seen of them this season im convinced they'd finish 2nd behind liverpool

attending live games its not a contest, not sure why the PL just doesn't get it, Bundesliga atmosphere is incredible and its non stop

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the difference for me is in the PL (apart from the last couple of years when city and now Liverpool have gone up a gear) is the lower in the league teams can have a go at the better teams because the better teams aren't generally that good, theres a lot of inconsistency, they have mistakes in them and there are scrappy bits of play which can result in anything happening, added to that we have ropey refs and now VAR so there is an element of entertainment to take from that

but in pure football quality terms the Bundesliga is better, watched the Leipzig vs spurs game and RB battered them with a style of football that pretty much is the PL, from the bits I've seen of them this season im convinced they'd finish 2nd behind liverpool

attending live games its not a contest, not sure why the PL just doesn't get it, Bundesliga atmosphere is incredible and its non stop

Some of the prem defences aren't great but not sure the defensive units of Leverkusen and Dortmund are much better. For a top level team Dortmund have a very average keeper in Burki and teams can quickly get past their high line with Hummels past his best. Paderborn were 3-0 up there last November after an hour (will execuse them yesterday's defeat to Mainz as they just want the season to end now with the title over).

Leverkusen had a meltdown the other week to Wolfsburg who counter attacked them to death.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Hamburg have done a Leeds again. Classic 

Yeah watched the last 10 minutes. Hamburg keeper was wasting time every GK which surprised me as I thought they'd want a win to put pressure on Stuttgart in last game. Now even making play off is out of their hands although I think Heildenheim or whatever they're called have Bielefeld away last game so pretty tough considering they've won the league by a big margin.

Schalke 04 really have downed tools in a spectacular way since the new year.

Since their last win on January 17th they have played 16 games including today. They have lost 9 of them and drawn 6. Today they are putting on another abject performance losing 3-0 away to Frieburg with 40 mins to go.

Everyone involved should hang their head in shame. Lucky for them they did enough during the first half of the season.

59 minutes ago, sne said:

Schalke 04 really have downed tools in a spectacular way since the new year.

Since their last win on January 17th they have played 16 games including today. They have lost 9 of them and drawn 6. Today they are putting on another abject performance losing 3-0 away to Frieburg with 40 mins to go.

Everyone involved should hang their head in shame. Lucky for them they did enough during the first half of the season.

Wagner is a dreadful manager. Allergic to attacking

Except being German and his friend, I never understood the Klopp comparisons 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wagner is a dreadful manager. Allergic to attacking

Except being German and his friend, I never understood the Klopp comparisons 

Yeah they are nothing alike.

More than him who have to be embarrassed thou. They should not be able to be this bad.

7 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Hamburg 2 down. Bielefeld winning over Heidenheim so it's up to Hamburg self to turn it around.

Hamburg - Werder Bremen would be a really fun play off tie.

Â