1. 1. Which party gets your X

• Labour
    • Conservative (and UUP alliance)
    • Liberal Democrat
    • Green
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • UKIP
    • Jury Team (Coallition of Independents)
    • BNP
    • Spoil Ballot
    • Not Voting
    • The Party for the reintroduction of the European Beaver

Yes, the lady had some "ill informed/ignorant" views on immigaration.

but she isn't alone in those views

"I'll still be voting for Labour – I think," says pensioner Anne Wheeler, hurrying home from the post office near the old Majestic and Cairo cotton mills, now part of the Ferranti engineering group. "But I've a lot of sympathy with that Mrs Duffy. She was only saying what plenty of us ordinary Labour voters think."

I also get the impression the woman..er.. isn't the sharpest

I knew it , Chindie is Gordon Brown ..

to be honest I think Duffy was saying what the majority of northerners are thinking, considering I get these rants from them all the time as my girlfriends family liver about 10 miles away from Rochdale.

it's quite clear that people are concerned about immigration and it is an issue. The fact that Labour DIDN'T advocate their right to transitional migration of new EU states like France, Germany and I believe Italy did. Because they got their projections of migration massively wrong.

it's all very well saying "well they come from the so there's nothing we can do".

you're right, I don't think we can now, but at the time they joined we could have done but didn't. So Labour have essentially made immigration the issue not the country making immigration the issue.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Barnes - Feel a little sorry for Brown to be honest. Every politician (and sports commentator) makes inappropriate comments from time to time. Only the unlucky few get caught, and for some it makes them even more popular

How is that saying that her words were not clear in motive or clarity by the way?

Paul Barnes - Feel a little sorry for Brown to be honest. Every politician (and sports commentator) makes inappropriate comments from time to time. Only the unlucky few get caught, and for some it makes them even more popular

How is that saying that her words were not clear in motive or clarity by the way?

I'm sure Madelweasel could manage to spin it so.

I can't believe that i'm the only one here who thinks that Gordon Brown comes across well in all three debates. Intelligent and articulate.

There are others Clarry - but some of the more vocal VT'ers are more transfixed by his smile and the pearly whites of Clegg and Cameron

I can't believe that i'm the only one here who thinks that Gordon Brown comes across well in all three debates. Intelligent and articulate.

There are others Clarry - but some of the more vocal VT'ers are more transfixed by his smile and the pearly whites of Clegg and Cameron

and his ability to stifle the productive bit of our economy with pointless legislation and regulation, and also doing the Labours unthinkable of lauding over big business and also wasting literally billions on poorly negotiated PFI projects like University hospital Coventry, and wasted money like the child trust fund, which is a terrible misuse of public money.

but Gordon did save the world after all so I suppose we can forgive him for all this pointlessness.

I was deeply upset with Brown's comments, but after the debate, I think he has the right plans for the future. Cameron will protect the rich and damage Public Services; his lip service and sound bites will not change my mind on that.

Clarry - I agree with you but we have this X-Factor culture in this Country, it's more about sounding sweet with no substance, than actually delivering a sound plan and progressing the Country. I just hope people aren't duped by his empty words and speeches, it will be a sad day for this Country if they're elected.

I can't believe that i'm the only one here who thinks that Gordon Brown comes across well in all three debates

Week 1 both Brown and Cameron got it wrong

on week 2 I had Brown in front for a long part of the debate , he looked calm and authoritative but the problem is he then reverted to type and went far too negative ... He appears to be very badly advised , as Cameron was in week 1 (see how Cameron changed for weeks 2 and 3 and scored much higher with the public

take last night , Brown should have been saying this is what we have done well in the past 13 years , which he started to do briefly but then I guess he was advised (badly) to keep mentioning inheritance tax and child tax credits every 15 seconds .. Cameron responded quite forceful and scored his blows (the tracker worm showed the viewers acted favourably to Cameron's replies on both subjects ... and then 20 seconds later Brown was back to mentioning inheritance tax again and again like a stuck record .. i think even the immigration question Brown managed to mention inheritance tax !!

The debates were about engaging with the public as much as anything and the public don't seem to engage with negative politics ..hence why Brown has been deemed to have come last in all 3 debates and Clegg is probably viewed as the over all winner

what do anti tory people think rich is? what is the personal wealth of someone who is rich in this country?

isn't the average wage £28k or something? so to be rich IMO you need to be earning in excess of £100k to be considered rich.

and his ability to stifle the productive bit of our economy with pointless legislation and regulation, and also doing the Labours unthinkable of lauding over big business and also wasting literally billions on poorly negotiated PFI projects like University hospital Coventry, and wasted money like the child trust fund, which is a terrible misuse of public money.

but Gordon did save the world after all so I suppose we can forgive him for all this pointlessness.

"Intelligent and articulate" does not mean I have to agree with all that has happened under him.

Anyway, with a week to the elections I'm shocked at hearing absolutely nothing from my local councillors about the Local Government elections. Where have they all gone?

it's more about sounding sweet with no substance, than actually delivering a sound plan and progressing the Country. I just hope people aren't duped by his empty words and speeches, it will be a sad day for this Country if they're elected.

you talking about Clegg , Brown or Cameron here ? it wasn't clear

or quelle surprise are / were empty words the sole preserve of Cameron during the election campaign .....

I find it interesting that the Tories get blamed for the state of the country today as if Labour hadn't been in power for 13 years or hadn't let the banks go on their way not regulated properly. Fascinating

Also interesting that in some quarters the equation is

Labour = all things good

anything else s bad apart from

Tories = evil

Yep. I think thats how some people view it.

This thread at times sways from interesting political debate to pure comedy gold.

Everyone in the labour party has been very keen to point out the lady from Rochdale is NOT a bigot, but apparently some posters will still try and insinuate that to protect their hero.

Manufacturing being killed is purely down to Maggie, OK so when Rover & LDV went that was down to Maggie too.

I didnt watch last night and after reading the thread I am surprised that Cameron is doing so well in the polls based on the debate last night when many think he did so badly.

I look forward to reading some peoples posts this time next week although it looks like some are already getting their excuses in early.

I am not Anti-Tory, I just believe they will leave many of us without public services that we need, and leave the ordinary working people with no options or future prospects. Also, he keeps bringing up cutting "waste" What does he mean by this? He is not clear or precise in his views.

what do anti tory people think rich is? what is the personal wealth of someone who is rich in this country?

isn't the average wage £28k or something? so to be rich IMO you need to be earning in excess of £100k to be considered rich.

That's the problem with using averages and measuring "gaps" and statistics in general. It's made too simple by people who know nothing about figures (or enough to manipluate them) but a sensible voice is shouted down. But that's for another thread.

If the average wage is 28K then there are an awful, awful lot of people below it. I don't mind admitting I'm a little over the average wage and people outside London think it's a lot. But I doubt I'm an average earner in London. 43 and still renting, no pension and no savings.*

I'm not anti-Tory because i'm anti-rich, it's because they take from the bottom to give to the top.

*(But I only had my first permanent job at 35...never be an archaeologist or try and be an actor; you'll die with nothing!!)

it's more about sounding sweet with no substance, than actually delivering a sound plan and progressing the Country. I just hope people aren't duped by his empty words and speeches, it will be a sad day for this Country if they're elected.

you talking about Clegg , Brown or Cameron here ? it wasn't clear

or quelle surprise are / were empty words the sole preserve of Cameron during the election campaign .....

Obviously Cameron :) I'm talking about the TV Debate.